It's almost 6 years and things are looking up !

Posted , 7 users are following.

It's been a while since my last post so I thought I would today. The good news is I am feeling a lot better than I have done.

The turning point for me was when my anxiety got so bad I had a bit of a melt down back in October/ November. I went back to the GP and insisted that he gave me something for it and refer me back to ENT. Anyhow he put me on Fluoxetine and it's been brilliant. Those horrible fight or flight feelings we get with Labs or VN has completely gone.

Now that I was starting to feel better, I decided to take the plunge and buy some varifocals. I was really worried that they would make me more dizzy but they had had the opposite effect. Some of you may remember me saying my eyes felt like they were playing up so I used to deliberately hamper them by wearing a weaker prescription or just wear my readers. These varifocals have been brilliant. Why didn't I do this before?

I've also given up coffee with caffeine and the 3 or 4 sugars I used to have with each cup. I now just drink Decaffeinated and sometimes I'll put some whiskey in it if I want a good night's sleep.

I am pleased to tell you all that those horrible foggy headaches have gone and I am not fatigued the next day. I'm getting my confidence back, I've been out in my car more and visiting a few of my customers.

These varifocals seem to suppress the visual stimulation you get while driving or when you are in a busy store. I don't seem to sway in queues like I used to either.

Anyhow you know how long it takes for appointments take, I did finally have some tests back at ENT this week. Apparently there is now nothing wrong with my ears. My left ear is 10% stronger than my right ear which is well within the limits. The consultant also concurred with me that it's now my eyes that have been given me these weird feelings due to over compensation so he is going to refer me for some VOT ( Vestibular Ocular Therapy ) for some specific exercises which should fix things.

I hope all my dizzy friends are getting better too.

2 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Oh Ive never heard of derealisation and depersonalisation, it sounds horrible.  ive been good today doing the cleaning until I wore myself out and needed a lie down then fell asleep then woke up with migraine and dizziness.  Had splitting headache since then.  I always feel worse once Ive laid down.  I do think the duloxetine has helped a lot.  That is also an anti depressant.  It helps massively with the anxiety over the dizziness.  Not been scared by it for months until I got this bad cold two weeks ago and was shocked how much worse it made it.  Must be connected to the sinuses also. 

• Posted

Hiya Darren ,how are you doing ? Dizzyness any better ? Last time we spoke you'd gone into varifocals  and was feeling bit better .

I've not been on here for few weeks ,I'm no different ,still on the boat ( going nowhere) I've been told this Mal de Debarquement can go as it appeared ,but 4 yrs on ,not holding on to that hope ,I talk to Gillian ,she's still the same ,I'm up on FB now on there Dizzysite ,but they all say the same we do here .more females than males on those sites with it I've noticed .

Drop me a PM Darren ,let me know how you've been doing  often wonder Takecare Marlene 

• Posted

Hi Marlene

Lovely to hear from you

On balance (Pardon the pun), I am a lot better than I have been, that's for sure. The varifocals have definitely helped, I am convinced of it. i only take the odd Fluoxetine tablet now when I feel myself getting on edge. Those horrible fight and flight feelings have gone. I used to suffer with terrible unexplained fatigue during the day but I don't no more. If i do feel tired these days it usually because I stayed up too late the night before. I'm much better in Supermarkets now but really strong sunlight makes me feel a bit odd. 

I just get on with it now Marlene. I try and keep myself really busy at work, If I am at home and I am not doing anything, i'll read a book. Basically anything to distract me from worrying me about the dizzies. I've been doing DIY around my house, going to restaurants and shopping with the wife. My driving is fine now but that does give me a headache, either as a driver or a passenger so I am going to see the doc about getting some kind of headache preventative medicine. As soon as I am out of the car, the headache goes...weird aint it

Which Facebook group do you belong to Marlene, can you message me a link or tell me the group name.

• Posted

Hi Darren,

I saw your other post that you're on Facebook.  What group do you belong to?  I have opened a group called Vestibular Neuritis Illness and Dizziness.  If you'd like to become a member, we'd be glad to have you.  What has helped get rid of the derealization/depersonalization and dizziness for you?

Take care,

Nicole

• Posted

Hi Nicole

I was making sure I was in bed for 10 no reading, no looking at my phone or tablet, just proper rest for 10 hours a night helped me get rid of the derealization/depersonalization. I do notice that it creeps back when I am tired. Fluoxetine helped me get rid of the anxiety that came along for the ride. Switching my glasses to varifocals took the pressure of my eyes for visual balance and over time my dizzies gradually improved.

Mind you It stil comes and goes in waves but not to the same severity as before but I no longer let it stop me doing stuff.

On Facebook I'm a member of Labyrinthitis Support Group come and join it and also Spinners and Sinners who are full of Dizzy people that visit this page to have a laugh and giggle and are not easily offended.

I'll come and find your group now :-)

• Posted

Hi Darren sent you a PM ,so glad your much better ,wonder if you now get bit of a migraine ,all due to pressure in the car ,there was a chap on F/B he made a video on your type of Dizzyness ,he was driving in a car whilst he made it ,really good ,thought of you straight away .

Not spoken to Anne since her holiday last month .

takecare 

• Posted

Hi Marlene,

I'm interested in that video you mentioned.  Can you help me by finding the video?

Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Marlene, i'm OK.  Being referred back to ENT, neuro otology, cos had another bout of BPPV which seems to take me ages to recover my balance.  Tinnitus is loud lately. Hope you're well.  Anne.
    • Posted

Nikki it was placed up by a chap called Rob on an Aussie dizzy site inm on ,will ask him how to get it back up.Bare with me ,it won't be on here though ,wil maybe be best to PM you with site .

• Posted

Hiya Anne ,hope your holiday went okay ,do you think flying had done this like bringing it on ,as you'd been having some good days on and off prior to holiday ,last month .

Darren's having it somewhat better now ,so that was good news hearing how he's now doing  not right ,but better ,maybe due to his now having varifocals ,go see if that might help you Anne .will there be a long wait till ENT app ? Pity in your job they can't push you through that bit quicker Anne ,as lots depend on you doing your job .

I'm much the same Anne ,still limited to what I do ,didn't realise till few days ago ,those 2 neck bones I had put back in manually ,can bring on a stroke if not correctly done ,boy that put wind up me knowing that  live and learn ,never ceases to amaze me what others know I dont ,sure do now .

My tinnitus playing up to Anne ,loud spikes ,for days ,then today low ,but equally as bad goes inside head ,same when high .theyve had good results now from an epileptic drug ,but only if you've had tinnitus 6 /18 months they've tried it on ,no mention to us long term ones ,still it's good news .

Think of you and Darren and Trevis often .xx

• Posted

Hi Marlen

have an appt for 22 July to see someone.  Sorry to hear your tinnitus is high, mine has been lately too.  I heard about that trial they're doing for tinnitus too, hope they get some good outcome. 

Was thinking about Darren doing well with his varifocals and hope to get my eyes retested soon.

I've asked to be referred to Occy Health at work, as don't know how much longer i can keep working with these recurring bouts of BPPV affecting my balance between one bout to the next. 

Take care of yourself too & keep on keeping onsmile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.