It's amazing what happens when I do what Im told!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Two years ago my wife took me to A&E one Sunday morning with an exacerbation. The Dr asked why I'd left it for four days, why I'd not taken emeregency meds and then warned me "when someone comes in like this we can't always get them back!".

Until then I [thought I] knew best but the comment still resonates.

November 2015 saw me back at the Dr's two days after completing the course of emergency meds (as they had not worked) for a second supply (and replacing the originals). That worked and I was fine.

New Years Eve morning and we were about to begin a 130 mile drive to the grandkids. I said that I wasn't too good and so, before setting off, began the emergency meds (wife drove whhile I slept) and here I am just two days later, still taking the meds but feeling 100% better.

My old "I'll be a martyr" attitude has gone, I have a variety of medical aids to keep a check on what's happening and at the first sign of a problem I'll "crack open" the emergency meds.

If I were actually clever enough to give anyone any advice it would be to do what they are told - I could have saved myself a lot of pain and discomfort if I'd listened to myself!

Hope everyone has as good a start to 2016 as I feel I am having! (I know having an exacerbation isn't something to usually to celebrate but I'm just enjoying the speed of recovery)

Happy New Year peoples!

4 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

We all tend to Learn the hard way don't we ,the cold team told to always send in a sputem sample before starting meds  as it can mask the infection ,

so now I send in the sample in the morning then start meds straight away,,,2 dats later cold ring to say the meds I'm taking will do the job,,,,,,,or they say stop that med and get a prescription for ,,,,,,,etc etc as I need this particular one for this particular bug, ,,,,,

but glad you feel your on the mend ,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.