It's been 2 weeks and I am certain I have ALS

Posted , 3 users are following.

My roommate of 6 months was in the gulf war. He was infected with an autoimmune disease that I know now is related to ALS. 2 weeks ago all of symptoms hit me all at once. Twitching in my right upper thigh, right lower leg on side of the knee, left upper thigh, left hamstring. My throat twitches at night as well as the constant twitching in my legs.  It usually wakes me around 3am in the morning.  I am in an 24 hour hell on earth. I tired very easily and I have lost 20 lbs.  I cannot eat or sleep or find any hope. Please help if you can!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kent. Sorry to hear you've had such a difficult few weeks.  Hopefully you've been able to schedule an appointment to see your GP.

If it's at all a consolation, ALS is usually a subtle insidious disorder. Typically one area, such as a hand or leg is first affected as opposed to the global symptoms you're  experiencing.

I know next to nothing about Gulf War Syndrome so can't comment on that.

Certainly the sudden weight loss alone warrants investigation. The muscle twitching and fatigue can have a variety of causes .. viral infection, vitamin deficiency, anxiety, Lyme Disease, etc.

Best of luck to you!

• Posted

Thank you, I'm trying to find something positive to hold on. I had a very very general check up last week and the doctor tested my strength ( arms, legs, neck, fingers and knee jerk reflex ) and everything appeared good. It's just the muscle twitching seems to be following and ominous pattern in frequency and location that has me 100%  convinced. 

• Posted

Hello Kent - I also have muscle twitching over various parts of my body.  Mostly in my arms and legs.  Mine is caused by an autoimmune disorder called Hashimotos Thyroiditis.  You might want to have your doctor test your Thyroid Antibodies in your blood (not just TSH levels).  Also, change your diet to the Paleo Diet for a couple of weeks and see how you feel.  Don't get too worried yet.  There are a lot of things that can cause this but I have a hunch it may be your thyroid levels or a magnesium deficiency.  Also, try an epsom salt bath and see if that helps.  Absorbing Magnesium through your skin works pretty quickly to help with the twitching or restless legs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.