It's been a rough 9 days

Posted , 9 users are following.

Had the urolift april 20th, it's now the 29th. Had 4 implants and sent home. Was done in doctors office under local anesthesia with no catheter. 30 minutes after getting home my wife is rushing me back to the office because I could not pee. Catheter inserted for 3 days, came out monday, new catheter put back in tuesday, that one came out thus morning. So far I've been able to pee with frequency. Side note, I have had multiple spinal fusions and with all of those surgeries I couldn't pee either. I've been in flonaz and finasteride and they were not working anymore. I'm staying hopeful with the urolift.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Replying to my iwn post, flomax not flonaz
  • Posted

Sorry to hear you are having these problems. Hopefully things will get back to normal soon. One reason I am considering Urolift over PAE or FLA is the lessor number of issues like you are having.

Rick

• Posted

I am 3 months ahead of you.  My experience has been good.  I was fortunate not to have a catheter.  But, before the procedure I had an urinary infection from the cystocopy that almost shut down my flow, so I can sort of relate.  After the procedure, I did not see any blood past the 3rd day.  But, there was some burining for a few weeks.  I stopped the flomax immediately with my doctor's agreement.  Flomax did not work well and I was getting side effects.  There are nights now when I can sleep straight through.  There are nights when I get up a couple of times (beer/wine?).  Flow is stronger.  But, when I get the urge to pee, I have to make sure I go pretty quickly.  Worst experience (yes, I know I am lucky) was after a spinning (indoor cycling) class.  I took one 1 month after the procedure.  I decided only to do 30 min of an 60 min class.  It turned out to be a lucky decision.  By the time I got back to the locker room, I couldn't hold it any more and started peeing into a towel until I got to a urinal.  There have been a few other minor accidents.  From what I read on this site, it appears that bladder training takes awhile.  Others can speak better on that. Good luck.

• Posted

My doctor told me to continue flomax and finasteride fir 2 weeks until follow up. Did you have frequent urgency at first, cause it seems like no sooner I drink some water I'm heading to the bathroom. And did you have a slow stream at first.

• Posted

Also I've read so many negative results, reading yours was a releaf.

• Posted

I had a better stream after the procedure.  It seems the strongest that it's been in years.  Not knowing what to expect from the procedure in February, I bought a package of Depends Guards (it's the heavier of the two shields they make).  The experience from the Urinary Infection the week before the procedure was awful.  I was in pain and going (at the end) every 10-15 minutes.  Fortunately, the antibiotic cleared up the infection and I could go ahead with the Urolift procedure.  I decided to wore the Guards home from the procedure as I live about 40 minutes from the surgical center and was not sure I would find a bathroom.  I made home.  A couple of weeks later, I wore them on a 9 hour road trip.  We stopped every 1.5-2 hours to hit a bathroom and I didn't need the Guards.  But, belts and suspenders as I didn't take a lot of clothes on the road trip.  The urgency (except for the spinning issue above) is getting better.  I have not used the Guards in over a month.  There has been a few minor accidents, but I don't think I need the Guards.  Bladder control seems to be better.  But, there are others who have studied this issue more and maybe they can weigh in.

• Posted

Fred, so sorry for your discomfort.  I hope your situation will improve as you heal. After I did my turp, I couldn't urinate at all!  Now with CIC, it's a blessing!  I can urinate on my own, but the bladder, won't empty completely.  I CIC around 2 to 3 times a day.  It feels great when I do so, I can go for many hours before I have the urge again to urinate. It's been roughly 8 months after I did my turp.

• Posted

I feel your pain. Had a nasty recovery myself, then nothing. No improvement whatsoever. Mine was with a general. Sounds like you might come out with a successful proceedure. Sure hope so.

Les

• Posted

Keep after it.  It is worth it!  I'm now 21 months post Urolift with six thingies put in. Little change at first but over time its well worth it.  Now can sleep as much as 8 1/2 hours uninterupted.  Never less than 4 hours uniterupted if I have to get up once to pee.  Can hold it too, for a few hours if needed.  The surgery is a huge insult to the body - takes time to heal.  I'm 72yo.

• Posted

My friend, your post is what I needed to hear.  I'm scheduled for a urolift this coming summer.  Can't thank you enough.

• Posted

Sounds like you have a little anxiety going on my friend, and who wouldn't?  You're only nine days post-op.  You're describing a phenomenon known as POUR (or post operative urinary retention) which may be concomitant with your spinal fusions.  It happens.  Lots of theories as to why it happens.  The good news is that it's usually transient.  Regarding your recent procedure, the worst is, in all probability, behind you.  Give it time, and read the posts in this thread.  You have every reason to be optimistic.  Be well.

• Posted

You sound like you may be in the medical field. What do you mean transient ?. I was do to see my doc for follow up on may 8th, however my doctor called me this morning to see how im doing, I told him i had a better stream before surgery but he is confident it will improve. He just wants to see if I'm retaining after peeing, if so hiw much. Yesterday we went shopping and I couldn't sray away from the bathrooms, felt like had to go but nothing. Today is better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.