It's been almost 7 months since my gallbladder removal and I still don't feel "normal".

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've been on and off this website over the past few months because I feel like reading about everyone's horror stories makes me even more worried that I will never fully heal from my gallbladder removal surgery. Since my surgery, I still haven't felt well. I only eat very simple things (like rice, chicken, bread, etc). Trust me, I've done all the research, my diet is low in fat and very plain. I know that if I were to eat anything high in fat I'd die from indigestion because I am having a hard time digesting insanely plain meals. I wanna know if there's anyone out there that felt indigestion for a few months or a year after surgery and then got better. I'm actually on an antidepressant right now to help aid in my stomach pain. I think it's helping but I'm not sure because I was given a lower dosage than most people because my weight is way too low. I have a hard time gaining because eating doesn't feel good at all. I have painful diarrhea a couple times a week but indigestion (bloating, gas and sometimes nausea) is an all day, everyday feeling. I don't regret getting my gallbladder out because it was on its way to calcifying and I was extremely nauseous. However, it's very discouraging when I know a lot of people personally who have had this surgery and were back to normal a week later. Is it really possible for it to take my body a year to get back to normal while some people feel great a week after their surgery? That just seems so crazy to me. Please someone give me some hope that it gets better. 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gracie, so sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. I had the same symptoms as you unfortunately for many years before I got some relief, I only know what helped me and that was ox bile supplements before meals but I would recommend you research and check out Dr. Berg's videos on what happens after gallbladder removal on YouTube and suggestions that could help. All the best to you

• Posted

I could have written your posting.  Identical to my problem, two years on.  On anti deps now too.  The nausea makes you unable to get out as much as you want i know only too well.  Saw my gp yesterday and she just suggested using ranitidine for stomach or even gaviscon. The only thing which has eased a bit is imdont have diarrhoea every day any more, but it can catch me out.  Imhave become very anxious about everything. I expected rhe removal to make me feel better, i feel worse and regret hacing it done ust because rhey found some stones on ultrasound and i was having nausea.

im sorry i cant give you what looking for, but i can say there are a lot of us out there suffering this.  The best imhave read ismthat it will go away in tim for some it is shorter than others.

hold onto that hope, it must get better sometime and if you find anything that helps let me know please 

• Posted

7 days after the OP and had no diarrhea, I eat anything I want, even high fat meals and of course the quality I want.

The day following the operation they gave me sausage soup. Can you believe that ?

No pain, no nothing. Even before I had no pain because I only had a polyp, no stones.

I was sooo soooooooooooo prejudiced that I would be having the same problems like these people write online. So I don't know what to say now. It happened to me the exact opposite. Nothing ! The only "symptom" is that I have really dark stools now.

That's my story so far.

• Posted

Hi Gracie, sorry to hear this but yes it does take alot of people longer than what is written. Unfortunately I've got abdominal wall nerve entrapment from the surgery so still having similar symptoms as previously but I can now eat pretty much what I like and I didn't put on weight  and was really worried about it as I couldn't afford to loose anymore weight. You will turn a corner with your weight and you'll suddenly find that weight is going back on again. Your doctor should be able to help you with something for indigestion and diarrhoea to make things easier for you. I was the other way and ended up being constipated most of the time.

Some do feel better very quickly but some end up being back on this site as they've over done it and rushed the healing process, its major surgery don't forget.

I believe it will get better it just takes some of us longer than others and as we're all different that would be correct.

Take care and see your doctor.

• Posted

hello, im afraid it seems we are all different here,my gb removal was 12 months ago, had emergency op as was in terrible pain,gb removed,was told it was in terrible condition even tho i have all ways eaten healthy, millions times better but stomach still uncomfortable,cant bear nothing to tight on me, i can eat what i like,some constipation, you must take it easy no lifting or awkward movements,lots water, you will get there but take it easy, all best, terry
  • Posted

Are you still the same? I have had two bouts of running to loo with pain in back and some nausea.  Have tried as dr suggested but gaviscon isnt helping.  Im now feeling so low about it as imthinkmits been a botched gb keyhole surgery.  My friend is a nurse and teols me the keyhole ones quite often reault in poor outcome was yours keyhole?   It leaves us in a bad way and needing extra surgery and souldnt be allowed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.