It's been one week since I had my gallbladder removed and I still can't sleep well!

Posted , 6 users are following.

For those who have had their gallbladder already removed, what did you do to help you sleep? I'd like to say I'm healing quite nicely and I can pretty much move around all day, except for occasionally not being able to stand straight. But I HATE sleeping at night. I can only lay on my back, laying on either side is painful and uncomfortable since I'm still bloated. The incisions itself do not hurt, but my inside right below my breast does. Even if I'm just laying there at night I can feel it throbbing. Not being able to sleep makes me very frustrated and I thought I'd be able to sleep better after a week and I can't. Will it get better by the second week??

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,  I  couldn't  sleep  on my side until about  12 days after the  operation. 

It will get  better.  If you  have  pain take  some  painkillers,   when the pain  is easier 

it's  easier  to  get to sleep. 

• Posted

Early days. Mine was open surgery. You'll be fine! 

• Posted

Hi Ayih, its early days for you yet so don't worry. Don't forget what they've done during surgery so its going to take a while. It took me months rather than weeks as it felt so tender still so its going to be different for everyone. You'll be able to lay on your left before the right side. Continue to take any pain relief especially at night time as its not easy to sleep on your back.

Don't get too frustrated if things don't get better as soon as you would like, it was major surgery don't forget and it all takes time.

Take care

• Posted

Hi

what I did was use about 15 pillows lol

i built a tower with them lol so I was ineffect sleeping near upright.

then I put 2 pillows either side of me and when I turnt to my right as that’s the only way I can sleep ,

‘on my right side ,

‘I turn slowly into the two pillows on my right side and gently pushed the bottom of the two pillows under my right side ,gallbladder area, and pulled myself snugly into the other one .

ONLY THEN COULD I FIND COMFORT AND SLEEP.

good luck with yr recovery and I wish you well.

• Posted

You've had major surgery!  External incisions can take 4-6 weeks to heal.  Depending on various factors, including you rage and over all health it take take 6 months or longer for your inside to heal.  Give your body the rest and mutrition that it needs to help properly..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.