It's been six months

Posted , 4 users are following.

Yes, it's been 6 months since TRHR, anterior approach.  My hip is doing very well!  It's all the other side effects that bother me.  I have returned to therapy for another 8-9 weeks, twice a week, during Oct. & Nov, again working to strengthen muscles (I still struggle going up & down stairs), but also work on the external area that is soooo tender to touch near the scar area.  We believe it is bursitis, which I did NOT have before surgery.  Anyone else have this issue?  The therapy tech used a soft tissue type of massage which does help on a temporary basis.  Now that I have graduated from therapy, what now?  I am being good with the exercises and know they say it takes a year to recover.  But, bursitis?  Is that part of the deal?  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had a type of bursitis about 6 months after TRH and was placed on a prednisone for about 10 days.  That really helped.  You need to keep going with your strengthening exercises.  That is key and I would also recommend acupuncture for the tenderness.  I am now 10 months out, have great strength, but still terrible pains in my muscles.  I have started acupuncture with good success so far.  I wish you luck.
  • Posted

This is a very brutal operation, and muscles have a bad time being pushed and pulled about with varying results. I found that a very good sports physiotherapist was my friend for getting rid of 'minor' aches and pains.  She put me onto 'Nordic walking poles' which helped reduce the strain on my shoulders from constantly 'thumping' down my walking sticks.

One year?  It took me about 18 months to feel anything like 'right'.   It's a long, slow road to recovery, a point the surgeons seem blissfully unaware of.

• Posted

I had the anterior surgery almost 2 years ago and still have what the doc is calling bursitis on the outside of that thigh.  It gets achy when I do low impact aerobics and it's still tender to the touch.  He wants me to keep having cortisone shots, but they haven't helped.  He also says it's due to back issues that I have ...  It is not awful, just not perfect -- something I guess we need to accept!

• Posted

Thanks Sue.     Yikes! 2 years and still feeling it!  I have had back problems too, but with therapy and chiropractor, that has gotten better. All in all, after 6 months, I do feel better.  At 74 years old, I’m sure things take a bit longer to heal. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.