It's just one thing after another

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I am now into Month 7 and my left knee is actually worse than before the surgery. My insurance has cut my PT off. I went for an MRI last Wednesday on my right ankle. I have a partial tear of my Achilles Tendon. I was so far from the parking garage they took me down to the garage in a wheelchair . We got to the garage I got up , tripped and I fell into the door jamb and clung to it. It happened so fast. I was able to walk back to my car. My podiatrist said I had to stop using the NuStep. In 4 days my knee is no longer the horrible traction pain it was it is now traction2 !!! My knee is hard and swollen, now the right side of the knee hurts too along with the knee and 2" rectangle area 6" long.

The podiatrist either wants a cast or something that goes over my shoe. (if that won't make me a fall risk I don't know what will) But as for today I have nothing on it and it hurts too. The surgeon wants to get a look at the MRI CD. Wonder what HE will want to do??? Wonder if the tendon ripped when I tripped? Just so sick and tired of being in pain and tired of having a surgeon that doesn't care and won't prescribe any pain meds at all. I am still doing the exercises, they don't hurt too much but after my knee really hurts.

Hope everyone is feeling better, healing with less pain and healing quicker.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear , I cant help because my op went fine and after the first two months of pain havent really had any pain or problems . I would see what surgeon says , but dont know procedure where you are if its easy to get second opinion . I never did a load of physio or exercises , I think some physios push too hard, just did my own gentle bending abd straightening, but still got full movement , I Owalked and water aerobics . Good luck

• Posted

Purple lover i understand your frustration. You and I have been sharing for the last 7 months. I had less pain before the TKR. When im not wearing the patella brace i get sharp pains from the knee cap. Last night the pain woke me up and I couldnt sleep.

This past weekend i was talking to a relative whose mother was told she needed both knees replaced her family doctor didnt recommend it as 9 of his patients were worse off after TKR. My family doctor said 20% of TKRs are not successful. if i walk downstairs or a step i have to angle the foot otherwise the knee gives way.

I hope you get some answers soon and relief. Stay in touch.

Jean

• Posted

Is that why I angle my foot going down stairs? I have to take each step 2 feet at a time. so afraid the right foot wouldn't stretch to get to the next one. Coming up with rails I can walk up normally.

" My family doctor said 20% of TKRs are "not successful". Interesting, My surgeon didn't say that he says 20% of people having TKR's are "not satisfied" with the surgery.

Is your Patella not tracking really bad? I don't have a brace. Does your Pelvis tilt too?

I am wondering. Do you think your surgeon knows what he is doing? Will you seek a 2nd opinion?

I see the surgeon Thursday, will let you know what happens if anything.

• Posted

So sorry that you are having such a terrible time of it. It sounds to me as though you really do need to see a different doctor who will prescribe you some pain relief. Let them deal with the achilles tendon as they see fit - that's a separate issue. But regarding your knee, if you don't feel your surgeon is being helpful can you see someone else for a second opinion?

You definitely need to get some answers because the more depressed you feel, the worse pain feels.

I know that's true for me and that I can get myself into a vicious circle. Seeing my new physio last week and just being given a clear and logical explanation for some of the pains and difficulties I'm experiencing and a little reassurance went such a long way and really lifted my mood and gave me a renewed sense of hope and motivation. I hope something positive happens for you soon. Keep us posted on your progress. All the best.

• Posted

I will see what my surgeon says but I really don't want him touching me again. But as far as finding a second opinion I doubt anyone in my area would see me after a surgeon already has operated on me.

I would have to drive 2 or 3 hours away. Cleveland Clinic is 3 hours. Not sure how long it would take to get in there.

The guy that doesn't use a tourniquet is 2 hours away in Chelsy, Mi. He would but the gal I spoke to that goes to him says it takes 3 months to get into see him and another 3 months for surgery if needed. **That's 6 months!!!! **I can't imagine being in this kind of pain that much longer.

Please say a prayer something good comes out of my Thursday appointment.

• Posted

Prior to my surgery my knee cap was on the side. it was stable but the bone on bone was painful and made a lot of walking painful. i was in Europe last summer on 2 holidays and decided to get the TKR after these trips. My friend had used this surgeon for 2 hip operations and thats why i chose him. I see my surgeon July 5 for xrays and to see if the brace is working. i will have worn the brace for 11 weeks. My knee is so swollen i cant find my knee cap. I asked my family doctor for a 2nd opinion and she said it would have to come from my surgeon.I am in Canada. Im still going to the gym and exercising

I have a lot of questions for my next visit....hopefully will have some answers.

• Posted

Jean I am confused. I had bone on bone before my surgery too and bursitis. Don't think my kneecap was on the side. So you had to have a brace on After surgery? WOW! Did you at least get some good pain pills? I got Norco 10 for 3 weeks, no pain pump to go home with then just Tylenol 3 then nothing. Over the counter. My surgeon did not care how much

pain I was/am in. Hope you get answers soon. I ice at least 4 times

a day and at bed time and

once or twice a night. it helps.

• Posted

YES my knee cap was on the side before surgery. My brace is new since mid April trying to move the patella in place. I think it has moved but the knee is so swollen its hard to tell. i had a total of a 100 oxys. The fifty were gone in 8 days. He gave me another 20. when they were gone my GP gave me 30. ....only to take 1 at bedtime. it was a rough time. PT kept telling me to take my meds before treatment and i didnt have any. i had some tylenol 3 from before surgery that helped. it was not a fun time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.