Itchiness.. Liver or something else?

Posted , 7 users are following.

My mom went to the doctor. He tells here that her Alkaline Phosphate is unbalanced (can't remember if it was low or high) she has complained of itching and I read that has something to do with the liver. She has IBS and takes meds for Depression but other than that she's ok. She has never been a drinker. What could this be? I don't wanna freak out but I kinda am. Do not want it to be cancer or anything like that. Please help if u can.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi moe1234

Itching may be associated with the liver. In your mums case it could be associated with the Alkaline Phosphate or the anti depressants check the info leaflet for side effects of the medication. If there is not an itching side effect your best bet is to consult her doctor about the itching...

• Posted

I've had terrible itchiness all over my body before and I think one reason was due to the fact that I'm not a water drinker. Id rather drink tea and drinking water was hard for me but I've started drinking a ton everyday and I dont have as much itchiness. Another reason may be my hormones play a role in my itchiness too. I have terrible circulation....could be another reason..just guessing. So she could try drinking more water and garlic pills can help with circulation if she has any problems with that. If shes old enough she could be going through menopause ..could be another culprit.

• Posted

Alkaline phosphatase is high. If she is non-alcoholic, the other cause of liver problem is eating fatty foods especially pork as well as fried meat foods. So try to eliminate those. Garlic and onion help. Drinking a lot if water. It's not cancer because she is not diagnosed of liver cirrhosis. Knowing that she has IBS, she probably likes to eat a lot of dairy, cheese, bread, so try to eliminate those.

• Edited

Certain anti-anxiety medications cause itching, they effect your histamine receptors and can cause itching as a side effect whilst taking them or when withdrawing from them

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.