Itching!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Started around 2 weeks ago, itching like crazy when I was in bed. Not the first time I've ever had a feeling of being itchy at night but this time it never quite went away. So I had the itching, then maybe a night or two after it was not as bad and I managed to sleep, from then on and for the past week and a half I've been itching pretty much all day time and night, it seems worse at night as it's obviously more of an annoyance when trying to sleep.

There is no bed bugs, I have no rash or anything showing up. Changed my washing powder to non bio, started using non perfumed soaps etc but nothing stopped it. Tried Cetrizine Antihistamines, moisturisers and nothing was helping. Went out and got some E45 itch cream and Calamine lotion, couldn't tell if the E45 was doing anything during the day, it felt not too bad but then when I'm keeping myself busy I'm paying less attention to the itching. Night time it didn't do much and I felt Calamine Lotion had done the best at giving me the chance to sleep. But the Itch has persisted still.

Contacted my GP explaining all, told them what I had tried. Their Triage system simply classed it as a minor issue and referred me to my local Pharmacy who then told me they didn't know why I was sent to them given what I had tried already and had no rash visible. They told me to buy some stronger Antihistamines known as fexofenadine which I tried last night and the tablet did absolute nothing, in fact the Calamine Lotion seemed less effective after taking it oddly enough so it was another rough night with lack of sleep.

Everything I read online about my symptoms sends me down a rabbit hole of multiple not so nice sounding conclusions. Besides the itching I otherwise feel fine, I did wonder if maybe I have gallstones as I've wondered in the past and thought maybe some backup of bilrubin in the blood but I don't have any Jaundice.

I do intend to contact my doctors again on Monday and hopefully get to see a GP this time and maybe some blood tests done.

Anyone had a similar experience dare I ask?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

Gam, where exactly is the itching? Are you male or female? how old are you?

• Posted

Hi Marina

I am Male. The itching has basically been everywhere, head, eyes, face, ears, back, arms, neck, legs. I'm still using the Antihistamine and E45 cream and the last couple of days have been more bearable for some reason, it's definitely not disappeared but seems to have calmed down slightly or else I'm managing to cope better. It's very strange. I'm trying to give it time to see if it resolves now but I'm still thinking it wise to ask for blood tests to be done.

• Posted

Oh something else I forgot to mention. The first night I used the Antihistamine it didn't appear to do anything. In fact the only thing I have done differently the past 2 days is to start taking a Wellman Vitamin and Mineral Tablet.

• Posted

Does sound like an allergy to something you have either eaten or come into contact with. Can you recall anything new you may have eaten or touched? Any new plants? washing powder, anything at all? Even a new partner. Could even be a reaction to some sudden severe stress you have had in your life. Its amazing how the body can react to things that you dont expect.

Are you using antihistamine cream? An antihistamine tablet once per day may be quicker. They are usually quite easy to buy in chemists, pharmacists or supermarkets.

• Posted

Nothing that springs to mind that makes me think oh maybe it was that. I did go out my way to get some new Non Bio detergent but I'm not sure changing it has done anything. I've never had any skin reaction to stress like this before. It's all very random. I've been using a non scented derma friendly soap as well, basically trying anything to rule stuff out.

Had a shower earlier and I'm feeling rather irritated and itchy again!

I'm taking the 120mg fexofenadine once a day, I'm really not sure if it's doing much though. I have concerns that it could be an internal issue as when there is no rash on show it's kinda like, what really is the problem here?

• Edited

If even an antihistamine is not sorting it out I think its time to see a doctor. A blood test may show up something.

I see you are taking a Wellman tablet...does it contain Vitamin D? vitamin D can often help with itching.

If this itching doesnt resolve in the next 10 days I really urge you to see your doctor.

• Edited

Hi Marina

I've been to see a doctor and I am having blood tests done this month. Oddly enough the itching reduced quite a bit over the last few days, still there at times but nowhere near bothering me the way it did the previous 3 weeks and I have no idea why!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.