Itching

Posted , 28 users are following.

Hi i have been taking these for 4 weeks now. I was on Rimpiril but developed a very bad cough, apparently a side effect of these. I have now got the most annoying itching all over going on Has anyone else experienced this at all. I tingle and itch all over. very bazarre but woudl be interested to know if anyone else has experienced this

thank you

2 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

[quote:45958a1189=\"Lozball\"]Hi i have been taking these for 4 weeks now. I was on Rimpiril but developed a very bad cough, apparently a side effect of these. I have now got the most annoying itching all over going on Has anyone else experienced this at all. I tingle and itch all over. very bazarre but woudl be interested to know if anyone else has experienced this

thank you[/quote:45958a1189][b:45958a1189][i:45958a1189]

Same problem, as the hospital has increased my amlodopine from 5mg to 10mg

~~~~~~Itching all over and thought it was just me. Am now on Ramapril aswell 2.5mg. We'll see what that does[/i:45958a1189][/b:45958a1189]

• Edited

Have also been taking Amlodipine for almost 4 weeks and have had the most awful reaction. In the past I have had eczema and I am red & itching in areas I've never had eczema before. Will be returning to my Doctor on Monday to ask to be taken off this medication - it is making life unbearable, can't get to sleep at night because of the itching.
    • Posted

Started amlodipine just under four weeks ago and have varying side effects, ringing in ears, flashes in eyes ( checked by optometrist) swollen ankles and now, awful itching mainly on hands and arms but also on feet. Its driving me bonkers and waking me up at night. Having read the posts on here have decided not to take it tonight and tomorrow night and ring doc on Monday. Am relieved to know its not just me but sorry others are suffering!

• Edited

I took trandolapril (note the 'pril' at the end of the word), it appears that this family of drugs causes in some people this terrible swollen itch scratch itch syndrome, which, combined with amlodopine caused me to have very low blood pressure and terrible itching. I decided next morning to stop all medication and made appointment to see the GP. My wife also suffered a swollen tongue from Ramipril. I have had back pain for weeks, and stopped amlodopine last night. The pain has subsided dramatically.
  • Edited

i have been on amlodipine for the past 18 months and have been itching all over since i started them .my doctor said i must have developed an allergy to something and never suggested it could be the amlodipine i have since been put on cetirizine hydrochloride to take alongside the amlodipine this relieves the itch .im just amazed at how many people are getting the itch and will be calling on my gp on monday .thank you all for bringing this to light .
    • Edited

I was started on amlodipine about four weeks ago and have also developed the most annoying rash and itching all over my body.  
    • Posted

Hi, I have been on Lisinoplril since I was 15. I'm now 39. The past 6 years or so have gradually got worse with itching. I think this was since the doctor upped my dose from 2.5 to 10mg. I have seen multiple doctors who know bugger all. I tried everything. Illiminating foods as I thought it might be an allergy... no good. I've been through every soap & detergent known to human kind... no good. Then I visited this forum. After 6 years of hell I am at present 98% itch free and that's without citrizine. The culprit to all of this grief? Caffeine. I changed to decaf tea, coffee and I've lowered my chocolate intake to a minimum. It's been only a week since I cut it out & I noticed that each day was more bearable. I'm now typing this with just the smallest itch on my wrist! If you love tea, Marks & Spencers decaf tea is the best. I hope this helps! Oh, and I've cut right down on my sugar intake too.:-)
    • Posted

Hi, I share your problem but it wstarted with amlodipine being added to my lisinopril. I stopped amlodipine but even after weeks the itiching and sore continue to spread. Are you still on Lisinopril (me  20mg)? How many weeks of stopping Caffeine did it all stop? weeks months years? Please advise.

Thanks 

• Posted

The pills come with an information leaflet that clearly lists a range of side effects ranging from common effects, rare effects etc etc. It does clearly state itching, swollen feet ankles and dizziness etc.

I've only just started taking them (last night) so I'm aware that these effects may happen to me but I would strongly reccommend that whenever you begin a course of medicine read the leaflet to see what effects may happen, it could save you from suffering from something (like the person who went through all the itching for four months!), and gives you information that you can take directly to your Doctor to demand that you change the medication.

Information is power, take personal responsibility to know what you are putting in your body and the effects it may have, you wouldn't want to be driving and then suddenly get dizzy and cause an accident.

I am not a medical professional and apologies if this comes across a bit strong but it is your body don't act like a victim the information is readily accessible so use it to prepare yourself and take the lead don't be led blindly.

• Posted

All medications have side effects and almost every one taken by patients with high blood pressure and cardio problems has the possible side effect of itching and rashes.  I take four medications and each one "may" cause itching. If one reads the side effects listed on the accompanying leaflet, one would never take the medication!
  • Posted

Hi

If you feel that a symptom is due to a side effect of a medicine that you have taken, then you may wish to report it to the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) via their yellow card scheme - http://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk

Patient UK Admin Team

• Posted

I took lisinopril with this medication and suffered appalling sleep disturbances, i.e. nightmares. Also itching all over. Dr discontinued amplodipine and itching and nightmares stopped. However, itching returned and Dr thought it was more likely linked to the lisinopril. Changed to Candestartan, itching stopped for a while but returned.

Is this a side effect fior blood pressure medictions ?

• Posted

Hi, I experienced severe itching and sleep disturbances (nightmares) whilst taking this. I was also taking lisinopril and when I stopped the amplodipine the itching and nightmares stopped. However itching returned and Dr said it was more than likely the lisinopril had been the problem. Now on Candestartan and after 4 weeks itching returned. Is there any blood presssure medication which does not cause this probhlem ?
  • Posted

Hi I was exactly the same - moved off the same drug. Itching down my legs and a dry cough all the time. Doctors are going to change my medication to \"a different family\". Probably then different side effects!
  • Posted

Just returned from GP - am stopping Amlodipine due to itching all over, bad at night. Will let you know what happens. I am pleased I had a look here, has confirmed my suspicions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.