Itching

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm about 4 weeks out from diagnosis of shingles on my face, head, eye, and ear. I'm still having low grade headaches, but the itching is more frustrating! My forehead and scalp, especially at night, are driving me crazy. Is it normal for itching to last this long? Any remedies?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I should also say that I still have some red marks, but no blisters and the scabs fell off this week 😊

• Posted

The after effects can last a long time. It has been a year this week l got shingles around my eye and forhead and scalp. The redness is long gone but l still have burning on my forehead and on brow and eyelid.
    • Posted

Every couple of weeks my eye flares up again, the white looks pink and cloudy and feels sore, does anyone else suffer with this 18 months after shingles? Sometimes the itching is so bad too!
    • Posted

My eye does get red and swollen, but it's manageable. For me, it's the scalp and forehead itching that's unbearable.

• Posted

Yes, I have had bad itching for 18 months!!  I also had it on my  head, forehead face and right eye, in March 2016.  It  then became reinfected and i had complications, PHN. I go to the eye clinic regularly but not a lot helps really, I have various eye drops and I put E45 anti itch cream on my eyelid but  not a day goes by without the itching first thing in the morning and then various times during the day, Drs seem very unhelpful too
  • Posted

Diagnosis 1st August, all scabs, rash etc gone but still itching, really does drive you nuts and seems to get a little better each day (about 1%) I am taking antihistamine for the itch which helps a bit and aqueous cream with calamine in it from Boots. Other people have said dab it with cider vinegar which I haven't tried. You just have to wait for your poor damaged nerves to heal which is a slow business.  You know this part, don't scratch! Almost impossible but makes it worse. Mine was on my neck and shoulder and itch not only there but in other places too, the other shoulder, both sides of neck etc. Seems the whole skin is overstimulated and sensitive. 

• Posted

I am sorry to hear you are still having issues from the shingles. Shingles on the face can be dangerous, especially in the eye, as it can lead to blindness. I would certainly go back to the dr. They can give you a cream you can use for itching but if you can't get right away to the dr, I would take an antihistamine. I would also suggest an anti-itch cream, but ask the pharmacist, as it is near your eyes. I wish you the best.

• Posted

Thank you everyone for the help. I put together an essential oil blend that I've been spraying on my scalp that's been extremely helpful. Happy to share if others are interested.

• Posted

Oh man Elizabeth! I had pain in my eyes and itching on my left side of my face, inside my left nostrils feeling like a tickling & pain at the same time so I know how you feel boy do I! I will advise you also to get a doctors treatment for a round of the antiviral medicine that you need that will definitely help to diminish the virus that caused the shingles. Also I have to ask are you under any doctors care? You didn't mention that. Anyhow, I found a cream named hydrocortisone that was prescribed to me (OTC) that helped the itch tremendously. I also was prescribed Lidocaine given to me as a numbing agent that helped my face pain & itch. I hope that these medicines can be of some help for you.  

Please write and let me know how you are doing......

• Posted

Dear Elizabeth,

I am so sorry you are still suffering from the itching. While I don't have that issue from Herpes Zoster Shingles, I have experienced severe intractable itching from allergies from unknown causes. Regarding the itching of shingles, I would try an oral antihistamine, the hydrocortisone cream, and Lidocaine cream by prescription prescription. Obviously, you must avoid the eye area. You are still in the acute phase, where aggressive treatment might work before the chronic ITCH of PHN is established.

Also, ice packs and or cool compresses help decrease the itching.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States and have had Herpes Zoster in my right ear every three to five weeks for the past twenty-one years.

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.