itching and candestartan

Posted , 3 users are following.

[b:de49c012e0]I have been on the above drug for hypertension for about 18months and have been experiencing itching all over my body mainly at night.

I also feel tired all the time and my sex life does not interest me any more.

I have been on numerous bp drugs some making ankles swell the only one that did not affect me was atenolol which the government too people off unless they were diabetic......I am considering a herbal method now.[/b:de49c012e0]

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I also have been using Candesartan for about 6-8 months after trying several other hypertensive medications which did not suit me. I also feel tired most of the time and my sex life seems far less attractive than it did. My lower legs 'tingle' all the time as do my hands periodically. The quality of my life is DEFINATELY impaired and I feel that it is due to the use of Candesartan. I only have to have one drink of wine and my face goes as red as a beetroot- which it never did before. I think I can handle this drug but the crashing tiredness, occasional dizziness and lack of sex drive make me wonder if its worth while. I think I would prefer to enjoy life and 'go out' in one fell swoop. I cannot help but wonder if some of us who feel perfectly well with slightly raised blood pressure, at our age - me 59, perhaps naturally function well at a higher level but we are told otherwise until it is discovered that maybe they are wrong.
  • Posted

I too have these problems and I also wonder if the benefits of canderarstan outway the advantages.My bp seems to be all over the place even on 32mg per day and my libido is zero on a one to ten score.It really is a case of the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak and I feel an impotent fool when I cannot respond to my wifes needs.Perhaps it better to risk the posibilties of a stoke or heart attack rarther than ingest chemicals that may do more harm than good
  • Posted

I'm very relieved to have found this posting, because I too am experiencing side effects from this drug. I've been on Amias since about Dec 07 and am only taking 2mg per day. Every time my GP does my BP check [usu only 1 reading!] it is always high, but I've told them time and again, that I'm very susceptible to 'white coat syndrome'.

Finally, one of my GPs seems to be taking me seriously and as I am an ex nurse, allows me to home monitor my BP. I'm getting fed up with the side effects though. I'm 53 and recently took myself off the contraceptive pill they had prescribed, to sort out my hormones, as I was all over the place period wise. I've not had any problems with that side of things at all since then.

I met my fiance late last year and we got engaged in January. He has heart problems [cardiomyopathy] and is on loads of drugs. Whilst he is not impotent, he has erection difficulties. I have found that since taking the Amias, my libido is fast disappearing. I even have to feel motivated for just cuddles etc and this is now adversely affecting our relationship. Part of this I am sure, is also down to the extreme tiredness I am feeling. I can get up at 8am and by lunchtime I could easily go back to bed and would sleep if I did. I had ME over a decade ago [not too bad, but bedridden for a few weeks], but it doesn't feel anything like that was.

Until last week, I worked as a children's nanny part-time, but then I got made redundant and now have 9 weeks to sort out my life, before I start a full-time job in Sept, with younger children too. There is going to be a heck of a lot of walking to do and in addition to everything else, I now have swollen feet to contend with. Only on the tops of my feet though, but I've barely got any shoes that I can get in to.

I've also noticed that I'm getting rashes at the slightest provocation ie: plants affecting me that never affected me before, some foodstuffs etc. I also get 'prickily heat' most nights, even when it isn't particularly warm, so on top of everything else, I'm living on Piriton as well! I don't know if its connected, but I suffered a serious knee injury 15 weeks ago and I'm *still* on a crutch due to the joint pains [and no, no-one has arranged for a physio] and this doesn't seem right either.

So I think I will have to try and get an appt for this GP, which is not so easy as he's part-time and try to persuade him to put me onto something else to try. Anyone have any suggestions?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.