Itching and insomnia

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm just about going crazy because of itching on my whole body especially my legs, I have small wounds up and down my legs through scratching, I'm beginning to think it's heat related because I don't get it as bad during the day, it's only when my wife and I go to bed, we tend to cuddle up and the combined heat is quite hot and within 10 minutes the itching starts but like I said it is not so bad during the day but I still itch on my stomach and back. Just in the last few weeks I have had a lot of trouble sleeping, still awake at 2 and 3am then feeling like a zombie the next day, I'm really frustrated and depressed. James 

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Fexofenadine- a allergy otc med  & B-12 and magnesium help.

Some side effects from medication causes itchy skin and or allergies to pain meds. Check your medications if any, for side effects.,

In some cases protein in urine causes itching , kidney issues is usually a problem. Also circulation issues can cause itching. 

Phoriasis, eczema and winter dry skin causes itching! Skin protectant creams and vit-D helps and in some cases deffencency in vit -D causes itching.  . Vit-A & D cream available OTC also helps itchy skin. 

Benedryl, allergy meds and hdroxyzine helps stop the itching in some cases .Even sprays for itchy skin such as  benedryl spray etc and sunburn sprays have lidocaine in them to help numb the itchy areas of the skin with sun burn. 

Avoid hot showers as they help dry out skin. Take warm showers/baths and pat dry with towel then immediately nadd ,moisturizer to skin. There are all types of creams for dry skin otc at any drug store. 

In many severe cases occlusion is helpful. Once a week when necessary add heavy creams to itchiy area wrap with clear wrap over night or for a few hours during the day when tolerated. This will aid the creams to be absorbed in the under layers of the skin for better coverage and smooth rough dry skin . 

These are just just a few in my arsenal.

Good luck! 

• Posted

Please try halobetasol and never use baby wipes as there may be an ingredient that causes itching.  Between these two things, I have been cured of my itching after 20+ years.  Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.