Itching but not jaundice

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with having gallstones early this year after suffering from a dull ache under right ribs.

I have been managing this well.

The only thing that bothers me is that my legs itch throughout the day, I'm never jaundice so I was wandering whether it could be the gallstones causing this?

The doctors don't seem to have an answer for it but I want to try and find out before they yank my gallbladder out. If it isn't my gallbladder causing the itch I can manage the mild pain and would rather not have surgery.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I was also diagnosed with a gallstone (2.1 cm) with the same symptoms and have also had itchy legs. I have read that is a sign of deficiency of some nutrient...I don't want to count on my memory here in case it's mistaken. I will look into laproscoptic surgery where they insert three needles to dissolve the gallstone and will soon change my diet. I don't want my gallbladder removed after reading all the horror stories on this blog. I think it's time to change habits and live healthier. I even got the book, The Power of Habit, recommended by a life coach. Cheers and good luck.

• Posted

Hi, Steven,

To be frank, I think that you're confusing your priorities.  You have a diseased gallbladder, which will only get worse, not better.  When it does get worse, itching (which may or may not be tied to it) will be the least of your problems.  Your gallbladder is stressing your liver, which is one of the most major organs in your body.  

If you read some of the threads in this site, you will notice what people go through when their gallbladder gets worse, among them, nausea, vomiting, diarreha, terrific pain, pancreatitis, fusion of the diseased gallbladder to other organs, and even rupture.

You have mild symptoms now and you know what's going on.  I suggest you get your gallbladder removed while you have a chance at a swift recovery from the surgery,  

Best of luck to you! 

• Posted

Only get your gallbladder out if you absolutely have to!!!! Some people have no problems after the surgery but a lot of us do. I'm one of them. I've never been the same!

• Posted

If your gallbladder is producing gallstones and irritation it will only get worse. Not having the gallbladder removed is only prolonging for worse things to come. A diseased gallbladder not only affects ducts with blockages of stones and bile but also the liver and pancreas. Over time with stones coming back over and over this leads to the lining and walls of gallbladder and the ducts to have scarring then can lead to gallbladder cancer which is always fatal unless caught at 0 stage and seen when removing a gallbladder because of a stone. Often when someone discovers they have gallbladder cancer it to late and they die very quickly. I have a cousin who died at age 32 because she didn't want her gallbladder removed and chose to just have them dissolved. A year later after months of stones coming back and pain in her right side , throwing up she chose to finally have it taken out. When they went in they discovered she developed gallbladder cancer from constant scaring from stones not only this but her liver was badly damaged and stones had cause scaring of pancreas. She only lived 3 months after they found it taking out the gallbladder. 

With those who have problems after they have it removed most of the time 98 % is because they do not follow a strict diet. Most get dumping syndrome. 

You are not supposed to have whole milk, no fried foods, no chicken or turkey skin, no white bread, no french fries , no hamburger meats or pork. No bologna, sausage, ham, or hot dogs. No pizza, fatty cheese, heavy creams, no gravy, or fatty cuts of meats. No cooking oil, canola oil, grape seed oil, corn oil, soybean oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil or shortening. Olive oil is OK preferred is Extra Virgin. 

No mayonnaise , butter or shortening oils to cook with. I cant believe is not butter is OK. 

No store bought salad dressings. 

Avoid store bought goodies such as Chips, Cookies, Cakes and crackers. 

You may find that you are better able to digest your meals if you keep your liquid intake to a minimum before and during a meal. Why?  too much liquid in the stomach and large intestine inhibits the secretion of stomach acid and digestive enzymes. Without a gallbladder, you will want all the help that you can get from these substances to fully digest the foods that you are eating and therefore allow you to feel comfortable, not ill, after meals.

Also Large, Heavy Meals use Common sense is such that large meals will put more pressure on your digestive system than small meals. Eating too large a meal can strengthen intestinal contractions, adding to any symptoms of abdominal pain and diarrhea. With your body's compromised ability to digest fats, you will be doing yourself a great favor by choosing to eat small meals, perhaps more frequently, during your day.

High Gluten, sugars, corn and soy will also irritate you after having gallbladder removed. 

Eat wise and often you will not have the problems most are saying they have. 

You cant just go back to the way you like things to be before the gallbladder was removed. 

No I am not a Dr just a patient who used common sense instead of doing like others and make myself have problems that can be avoided if you just listened to the DR lol  instead of saying its cause my gallbladder was taken out. No your issues are because you don't listen and do not care cause most want what they want regardless. This will also cause more weight gain when you don't listen with most not all.

More weight equals High Blood pressure , increased risk of diabetes, kidney problems, pancreatic problems, vision issues because the blood pressure is high. Pressure on blood vessels, head aches, cramps, bloating, vomiting, swelling and heart is all due to weight or notice I said OR poorly managed diet and health not the gallbladder being removed. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.