Itching feeling under the skin

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been suffering from itching and throbbing under the skin on and on for some time now. It started after I was given steroids after a cataract operation. I also found certain eye drops made my skin become hypersensitive. I had a period when the itchiness stopped but since yesterday it has started up again. My optician administered eye drops into my eye in order to see the retina at the back of my eye, since yesterday it has started up again. This is making me feel very stressed. I have also been referred to see a consultant in clinical immunology as. I cannot tolerate sugar, dairy or wheat. Is there anybody experiencing the same symptoms, the itchiness is only on my thighs, surely if it was a reaction to the eye drops all my body would be affected, is it stress??

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marion you sound like you have dysautomnia problems my dear. The body has 2 nervous systems the sympathetic and the parasympathetic when they are out of balance you have dysautomnia. This can be caused by many things such as illness, trauma, childbirth, an operation etc. when this happens the sympathetic the flight and fight gets out of line with the parasympathetic the rest and digest. Normally you are not aware of them at all but if you are poorly that is what makes you feel ill. Normally this passes and you feel much better and carry on as before. However if you continue to feel unwell it means your body is literally out of balance. This can be caused  by the things I have mentioned but it can be secondary to an autoimmune problem. I hope you get sorted soon. It does sound as if you may have an AI problem, I have a FB group called British Sjogren's who support those with Sjögren's syndrome which does give you dry eyes, mouth and vagina usually around the menopause
    • Posted

Thank you for your help, can you give more information about your FB group called British Sjogren, how can I join to get information about this condition. What is an AI problem. 
    • Posted

Hello Marion, yes of course I am an admin of the group British Sjogren's. We are here to support all those with Sjogren's Syndrome which after RA is the largest autoimmune inflammatory disease but has not had the publicity or the coverage, so most people have never heard of it, some medical professionals are not aware of its impact. Our administrations are all members of the BSSA the British charity that supports Sjogren's sufferers and raises money for much needed research. As I write the BSSA don't do FB but I hope they will rethink this. We are here for help, support, advice and to raise public knowledge about this syndrome. The primary symptoms are a dry mouth and eyes, often when a lady is in the peri menopause but in some the dry symptoms called the sicca symptoms come much earlier. If you feel any of these may apply to you, if you feel tired, have vague joint or body pain an early diagnosis can reverse many of the problems. I hope this helps
    • Posted

Marion you need to join FB then set up your own page. If you type in what interests you FB will give you ideas. Look for British Sjogren's, ask to join,  I or one of my administration members will invite you in. We don't allow drugs other than prescription ones to be talked about as Sjogren's is a syndrome. The difference is a disease has a direct course with a clear path, a syndrome can come from many paths which at this moment are not clearly understood by the medical profession. 
  • Posted

Hi Marion yes I and many with autoimmune problems suffer bowel and gut issues. With Sjogren's the mouth and eyes and in my case vagina are very dry. It is important to tell your GP if you have these symptoms and I am very glad your being referred to a consultant in clinical immunology. The itchiness it also common in autoimmune conditions. I would advise that you write down your entire medical history. Starting if possible with anything your parents have/had, your birthweight, childhood diseases, operations, any problems you have had, drugs, be they prescription, health food, recreational, your gynaecological history, number of children, obstetrical history etc. This will help your consultant immensely to determine the cause of your problems. As I say to my group please don't be afraid to include everything even very personal things it could give your consultant the missing clue. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.