Itching in different spots after shingles rash healed

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I am 29 and I have been diagnozed with zoster virus 4 weeks ago. I had a small rash on my lower back on the right side. It was itching and burning from time to time but the pain was not unbearable. I saw a dematologist few days later, and I was put on antivirus medication Acyclovir 800mg 5x, which I unfortunately started after one week of the rash appearing. Two more weeks and the rash started to heal and its now almost gone.

The problem: after 4 weeks of the intitial symptoms, I now have a terrible itching feeling in all of my body (especially in the face and head) far from the rash area used to be. Could it be a shingles recurrence happening so soon? Should I expect a rash appearing on my face? Should I rush back into Acyclovir to prevent this from happening?

The terrible itching feeling in the same area appeared suddenly without introduction after the rash on my lower back healed. I can also feel it a little bit in my arms and my feet. Its been going on for 3 days now, but no sign of new rash anywhere yet.

Please advise me what to do. I'm confused.

?Walter

3 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Having that same PHN itching. Would you please send me the name of the medication, how much you took, for how long  so I can request it from my MD. Thank you!
  • Posted

I am experiencing shingles for the first time. The rash cleared up about a week to 10 days ago, and I still have recurring pain. The doctor said that I probably will have pain on and off for a couple of months, but at least it is not constant like it was before. I have been itching like crazy in the spots where the rash was but the doctor says that that is normal too. The problem is that today, in the spot where I have been having the most pain, I broke out in another small patch of the rash again... Really red and with all the little blisters. I tried to call my doctor and ask him if maybe I just needed to start over on the antiviral meds again. He is not on call this weekend, so I had to talk to his partner. He claims that the rash should not come back once it has cleared up and that if the rashes come back then maybe something else is wrong and that I don't actually have shingles. I know there are people that say that the they have had shingles more than once, but has anybody ever had the rash come back after it had dried up during the same infection episode?

• Posted

Hi Ebn513 

i have shingles inside my arm just above the crease where you bend your elbow Awful place because I still need to bend my arm all the time for everything My spots had died just like yours 2 weeks ago and now a spot has came out again yesterday Im also itching everywhere Doctor said there was nothing she could give once the spots are out when I visited her wanting a diagnosis I'm so so exhausted with this It's my birthday tomorrow and I was supposed to go out with a friend for lunch Her mother is very elderly Does it mean that Im still contagious? I would also be terrified for her mum as well Please advise and I wondering how you are now ?. Thanks 

• Posted

As far as the itching, it is crazy how the rash itself doesn't itch, but after the rash goes away you itch where the rash used to be. Haha ridiculous. Anyway a pharmacist suggested to me that I soak in the tub using colloidal oatmeal... It is oatmeal that has been ground into a powder. The one I have is made by Aveeno but I am sure there are others out there as well. It actually works. My back has been itching so bad I wanted to go outside and roll around in the grass, like my dog does, to scratch my back. 😁 it didn't make the itching go away completely but it really did help. I actually stopped itching and was able to sleep the last couple of nights.

• Posted

Ebn513'

Epsom salts and oatmeal helps a little . I have so much anti itch creams, sprays, powders,salves, ointments, &  antihistimes I need a hard hat to open my cubbards.

Have you tried a prescription for Hydroxyzine HCL. It is the only thing that helps the extreme creepy crawly agonizing itching! 

• Posted

my mom is 76 and she got her first bout with shingles and she's had it for about 5 weeks and now she just itches so bad she says it's driving her up the wall. Can you PM me for this RX that you're talking about please.

• Posted

It's a relief to see that I'm not the only one. I stopped taking the antiviral about 2 weeks ago and my leg still hurts. Today I woke up with swollen upper lip and now (evening) my whole body is itchy. I've got red spots everywhere too. I would like to know what's the dosage and how should I take that medicine HYDROXYZINE HCL 25-50 mg. I'll buy it tomorrow.

• Posted

hello,I am on my week 3 of shingles. I have the exact thing going on right now..my itching is extreme intermittent tho on legs,arms,stomach,chest..my shingles is lower back and scabbed over still there tho. did you ever find out exactly what caused yours? and do you still have this problem or did it ever go away??  
    • Posted

Hi Missy,

I'm sorry to hear about your suffering. In my case, the itching and pain continued for another couple of weeks while slowly getting better and better until it was completely gone. Doctors couldn't give a proper diagnosis of why I had this random pain after the shingles episode. Its been almost 2 years now and I never had a recurrence. I'm sorry I can't give you any more helpful information, but my advise is to stay strong and patient. I know its not easy.

Sincerely,

Walter

• Posted

Shingles occurs if you previously had the chicken pox. It’s usually triggered by stress, although everyone who’s under stress doesn’t get shingles. It’s evidently a mystery why some get it and some don’t. My blisters finally cleared up but I itch there and now have a fine rash )like contact dermatitis) in multiple places both sides of the body where the shingles rash was not. I’ve double rinsed my clothing, which helps some, and am switching to perfume and die free laundry detergent and body wash . It’s the same as everyone elseintermittent horrible itching, burning, now creepy crawlies, and it keeps me up at night. The most helpful for me was Bolyeren Gel (tried Neosporin  with pain + itch+ scar, hydrocortisone, Calamine lotion, Caladril Clear, Benadryl topical, and Voltaren Gel 1%). It’s an ibuprofen topical pain relief cream and I guess it must numb the areas applied to. I’m asking my MD for the HYDROXYZINE HCL 25-50 mg oral pills that hope4cure said worked and the Gold Bond pain and itch that Lillyta added worked. My kids and I got scabes about 5 years ago and I don’t know which one is worse. Peace and healing to all who suffer! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.