itching skin after shower

Posted , 4 users are following.

Not the first time ive mentioned this but got no reply last time. anyone else get a horrible itching after having a shower, ive tried having the water cooler and using nothing but water but it still happens. Im In menopause, how do you know when your post menopausal? Been in it now for 9 years, now 66.  The itching is really bad sometimes and can take an hr, to ease off, more of a stinging itchiness, mainly on my limbs . and back, nor my head or my face. moisterising makes no difference, tried buying E45 for itchiness but that doesnt help either, could it be our water. Any suggestions please.

Sue 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Sorry to hear you have been having this problem for so long. I am surprised your doctor has not prescribed different things to try and eliminate the itching; that is if you have actually seen a doctor about it. I wonder if you have tried something mild like Oilatum shower wash, as maybe it could ease the irritibality. It had been prescribed for my own children and grandchild as they have very dry skin. It seemed to work too. 
    • Posted

Hi thanks Jonah and all for your replys, for some reason i never got any notification of any of these so only by chance came across them. I will try using the oilatum and at 66 im sure im post menapausal. Dr hasnt suggested testing me for anything at all. Ive cut out caffiene due to UTI and have found the itching not quite so intense. 

Sue 

• Posted

Can you have a cooler bath rather than a shower? Also use something like oilatum as Jonah has suggested. Ask your pharmacist for recommendations.  

Your skin may be drying out because of the menopause. Are you taking HRT? 

• Posted

Hi Sue, your GP can do a blood test to see if you are post menopausal.

Have you changed the products that you use in the shower, or has the manufacturer changed the formulation?  I apologise for repeating myself if you have heard this before but I am allergic to formaldehyde & formaldehyde releasers, of which there are several.  I am now adept at reading ingredient lists & have found in the past that manufacturers change the formulation fairly frequently.

Years ago, I started to itch & it was my limbs mainly.  Eventually, a company sent me to a Dermatologist for patch testing, that is how I know what I am allergic to.

• Posted

Have you tried oatmeal baths?  They are highly recommended for eczema.  You put a cup of oatmeal into a muslin bag & let it soak in your bath.

Old tights work well for the bag & porridge oats are all you need

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.