Itching so bad I can't sleep

Posted , 9 users are following.

Please please can anyone help me with this?

It started back in November, my face and chest itching especially at night. My face seemed to get better when using moisturiser everyday but my chest/neck continued to itch even though I was using E45 itch relief cream.

It has started to wake me at night around midnight then I find it really hard to get back to sleep because I just want to scratch.

In desperation I went to the Dr last week. She was I felt quite dismissive, told me to stop using the E45 and all other bath/shower products and to wash my hair over the sink. She also gave me a 30 day course of antihistamine, some cream and prescribed oilatum shower gel. The pharmacist told me she can't get that so would get me something else after she spoke to the Dr. I didn't check until I got home but she gave me some E45 emollient shower wash which surprised me.

I used it for the first time last night and through the night I was in hell. The itching is worse than it has ever been and I think I am going to go crazy if I don't get some help.

My Dr said don't come back for a couple of months because it can take that long to settle. I will be hanging from a lamp post before 2 months of this are up.

My questions...is it an allergy? It only really itches intensely at night which I think is due to be warm. There is no rash although it is red and horrible looking this morning from me scratching. The E45 itch releif seemed to help the itch but is it coincidence that after using the shower stuff I had the worst night ever? The cream she has given me is not helping at all.

I started taking milk thistle back in November too as suggested by someone on here, I also take B complex, D3, calcium, Vit E, Maca root, chellated Mg and turmeric.

PLEASE help me I am desperate sad

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Could over the counter one a day anti histamine tabs help?
  • Posted

Hi jane, make sure you avoid any products with lauryl sulphate. Diprobase is also a good emolient, you can buy the oilatum over the counter at boots so try there. My daughter has always suffered with excema and now has to have steriod cream to keep it at bay, for her face she has tacrolimus, but a lot of docs dont like prescibing it. You could try propolis - google it. Trial and error unfortunately. Good luck.x
  • Posted

Very much trial and error here Jane...know what? I've always found the local pharmacists really helpful, more than some doctors can be.....they're very informed about various products as they're dealing with it every day....

You may have developed an allergy to an ingredient in most shower gels? Have a buddy lanolin sensitive...you may also find you have an allergy to some of the vitamins you're taking? How about keeping a diary, and leaving them off one at a time

to see if the itching subsides??......

good of luck hun. X

• Posted

Thank you all for taking the time to write back to me. I will ask the pharmacist, check what is in the stuff I was using although I hardly dare use anything now sad. Sus I am taking antihistamine as prescribed by my Dr.
  • Posted

If I were you I would stop taking everything for at least a week, and use olive oil or something with one ingredient as a moisturizer during that time. I have dealt with the same issues off and on my whole life, most recently I had a red scaly rash all over my legs for 8 months! itched  like a mother. Night time was the worst! it took me that long to figure out it was the lotion I was using which was an organic all naural one. I did exactly what I told you to do and then slowly introduced each product until I figured out which one it was. Good luck. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your advice Dawn, if I stop taking everything how slowly would you re-introduce? None of the things I take corresponded with the start of the itching but I know that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't the cause. I will try anything....
  • Posted

I too am suffering from this type of itching. Are you menopausal? If so--that is probably the cause of the problem. I started with itching of the nose and around the outside of my lips--that went on for a few months and it progressed to my neck and chest and now it can be anywhere--even the palms of my hands. Not all at the same time. It is much worse at night and keeps me awake. I don't have a rash or any external signs at all. I stopped taking vitamins and using creams etc. I have reintroduced Krill oil and I seem to be a lot better. I also put steroid cream inside my nostrils and that gives some relief for a few hours. i think this is all to do with menopause and not allergy.So try the Krill for a week and it might help by lubricating from the inside to the outside. 
    • Posted

Thank you Coralie, yes I think I am, suffering lots of strange symptoms hence the load of vitamins and stuff I've been taking.

How do you take Krill oil?

• Posted

I buy the high dosage 1,000mg and that comes in a capsule. Nivea puts out a skin conditioning lotion you apply last thing in the shower and then lightly rinse off--that seems to be helping a bit.
  • Posted

Hi Jane, I've had mild eczema on and off for most of my life, at 50 now and in peri, I do sometimes have real itch attacks. I used to use something called Alpha Keri, which is an oil you out in the bath, and it really soothes your skin- it actually mixes with the water, so not a s gloopy as some. Had that suggested when I was a student, so years ago, but always had it when things got bad, Then for moisturising, nowadays I use Vaseiine Intensive Care, the White one, every day after a shower - if I omit it even for one day I am driven made by itching. Other things can affect you too, like changing your laundry powder or softener, or having an over scented shower gel. There are lots like Simple that ar kinder, or Unscented soaps, though I prefer something with scent myself, if I can use the Vaseline cream afterwards, and the antihistamine is a good idea if you think it's a particular reaction to a necklace or something. Also try to keep yourself cooler at night - or wear cotton absorbent nightwear, that should help too. Find what works and keep doing it! For me, it's constant moisturising! 
    • Posted

Thank you so much Marilyn for taking the time to help me.

I will look into the Alpha Keri although at the moment I am a bit reluctant to spend more money on things which may not suit as I am already nearly £35 down sad

That said when the itching is so bad I would sell my soul to stop it!

I don't think it could be an allergy to jewellery, I have worn the same 18ct gold chain for years and years but I did wonder if a new work shirt was the trigger back in November. Other than that I hadn't changed anything, always use the same shampoo and shower gwel as well as non bio washing liquid.

What I don't get is if it is an allergy I have suddenly developed then why is it just my neck/chest area and not anywhere the allergen has touched me (if it is my shower gel/shampoo/E45 anti itch??

I discovered last night that cold water stopped the itching long enough for me to get back to sleep!

I usually don't wear anything in bed but will try a cotton nighty tonight, see if it helps any.

Again, thank you smile

• Posted

Cold water sounds like a plan! I have resorted to digging a fingernail in an itch so as not to aggravate it too much, but to still relieve the itching! Sometimes, you can become allergic to something that you could always wear before - I have had finger or neck reactions to rings/necklaces I have worn for years, it's all about hormonal changes, I believe.  I do definitely have the chest itch you mention, from getting over heated at night. I can even have a single spot in an evening that gets irritated, over nothingness, apparently, and can just decide to be irritated into a big weal, often at the top of my chest, just below my throat, but it goes away! I also understand you won't want to spend a lot of money - it's a while since ai bought it, but a bottle lasted ages, as you only needed a cap ful each bath. Good luck, and here's to being itch free! 
  • Posted

Still the same problems? Could be fructose malabsorption.
    • Posted

thank you for that thought, I will check it out but not sure I eat a lot of fructose. It has been a tiny bit better, not gone away by any means but maybe I am just coping with it better or getting used to it sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.