Itchy Anus, But Only When I Walk?

Posted , 17 users are following.

I've been dealing with this unbearable itch for 7 or so months now. My anus itches but ONLY when I walk! It seems like the chaffing or friction activates the itching. Most people that I read about with this condition usually say that they get this itch most worst at night but this has not been my experience.

I love to hike with my dog but this condition makes it difficult to even go for a walk around the block. I am miserable. I am a 27 y/o female. I don't feel like this is a common issue for someone my age.

I have tried:

Cutting out coffee

Fungal cream

Wiping with water wipes

Wearing cotton underwear

Using a shower head to wash that area after a BM

Cortizone ointment

Calmoseptine ointment (worked at first but then stopped working)

Nothing thus far has worked. Does anyone have a clue what the cause could be? I have looked down there and there's nothing abnormal looking. No redness either. I want to fix the cause, not treat the symptom.

I plan to see a dermatologist to help me but that won't be for a while. Thank you to anyone that has any insight. I want my life back! 😦

2 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hello,

Any of you are still suffering?

Please share what works for you.

I've been dealing with this problem for 2 months now.

• Posted

Hi guys, just thought id let people know that after suffering for 8 years i finally figured out what was causing my pruritus ani, it was coffee, tea, coke and bread. After i stopped drinking/eating them it went away with 48 hours, however if i do take them i can almost immediately feel it start up again.

I suffered for years, went to numerous doctors and 2 dermatologists and had no luck, they went down paths that were of no help.

It wasn't until i started playing around with my diet that i noticed certain days were better than others, and through a process of elimination i figured out it was bread, coffee, tea and coke.

I hope this helps someone, as I understand the pain, anxiousness and frustrations it causes, not to mention the lack if sleep!

• Posted

Thats interesting Kieran. 3 of those items contain caffeine which can cause histamines and therefore some itching. Not sure what is causing the problem with bread though. Have you tried different breads?

• Edited

i have had this for years and am recently completely cured, almost overnight.

Honest brand diaper rash cream in the tube did the trick, a thin coating over the area before bedtime for me.

the itch and the subconscious urge to scratch is gone, hallelujah.

i still apply a thin line once a week to keep it in check. i think it was contact dermatitis, a "dry spot".

i hope this helps, it's been a godsend.

• Edited

Did the itch go away? If yes, what helped you? I have the exact same symptoms. It itches only when I walk. Some days the anus is inflamed and I also have a burning sensation other days I have just the itch.

• Edited

im having the exact same thing im a female in my 20s and its honestly making me depressed ive tried sudocream and hydrocortizone creqm and hasnt helped . Ive now ordered antibiotics on a desperate plea to help myslef

• Posted

what kind of antibiotics and what for? for how long do you have the symptoms? are they the same as described by the op: "itchy anus but only when I walk"?

• Posted

i tired doxycycline it didnt work ive also tried sudocream, anusol, hydracortizone cream and nothing worked along whrh canestern. I am going to the gp monday as this is really starting to get me down now and yes it is itchy anus and sore mostly when i walk but ocassionaly sat down too .

• Posted

Hello, I'm 42 yo/F and I've been dealing with this for the past year! My doctor's first suggestion was, maybe I wasn't cleaning myself properly. As if the appointment itself wasn't embarrassing enough. My hygiene isn't the problem. The Rx she gave me didn't help, it was for fungal infections. I'm at my wits end! I can't workout or go shopping anymore without running for the bathroom or my car to squirm around in my seat for some relief. I spend my nights googling possible causes and remedies to no avail. I'm going to try and cut out the things suggested because I am miserable!

• Edited

I have the same problem for some months. It went away for some time, it seems that it's back right now (not so bad like it was before). What I did was to use a cream with Calendula officinalis. (natural cream). I don't know what it could be, I went to many doctors, I don't have hemorrhoids, no fungal or bacterial infection, no worms etc. I suspect it is atopic dermatitis...

• Posted

Also, can you give some more details? What symptoms do you have?

• Posted

I have the same issues! I am an otherwise healthy 20 year old male. I don't suffer more at night than at any other time, but walking has become extremely unpleasant and brings me huge discomfort. This has been ongoing for a month now, and from what I have read on this thread seeking medical advice may not bring me the answers I need. I live an active lifestyle and regularly go to the gym, but now that has become difficult and I take public transport whenever I can. My life is becoming unbearably painful and this has cast a dark gloom over me. Can someone advise me?

To the original commenter,

I've noticed that I am late to this discussion. Did you find the cause and were you able to treat it?

• Edited

The original poster doesn't answer anymore. Can you give us more details when it all began for you?

I have the same thing for several months, I've been checked for hemorrhoids, and ran some tests for candida, bacterial infection, worms etc and nothing was found. I believe it's something related to stress/anxiety because I had this before (itchiness on my scalp or other parts of my body) - it's called atopic dermatitis and anxiety, stress or depression are common triggers for it.

I still have the itchiness and redness/irritation but it's much better now (after several months) - I used a Calendula officinalis cream and coconut oil sometimes which are both for hydrating the skin.

• Posted

Hi, it started about a month or two ago. It seemed random at the time, but I think it aligned with me taking creatine (which I was using for the gym). A week before onset, I had actually been inspected for haemorrhoids (for a reason unrelated to the itchiness) and nothing was found, so I was confident that wasn't the issue. Before the itchiness, I did not have issues with stress or anxiety. In the past two weeks, I have cut out creatine and coffee (with the exception of an energy drink or two). The constant itchiness is now gone - more or less. I still itch occasionally, but nothing out of the ordinary. I'm not saying I have found a cure, but I thought I would share in case it helped you and others.

Thank you for the advice you gave I will take it on board.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.