Itchy Anus for nearly 5 months!!what can I do??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone ,

I have been scanning these forums for a few months for any tips regarding my itchy anus.Please bare with me regarding long my post.

I'm a 32 year old married guy with a child and around July time this year I developed a itchy feeling inside my anus one night, I'm sure it was a little while after having a bowel movement,in the following days I noticed the itch was not going away.The itch felt like it was inside my anus not on the skin or around but inside and it would jump about,as it was inside it wasn't really easy to scratch it.

anyway I tried to ignore this for a few weeks as I thought it would settle in time but it didn't so I ended up contacting my doctor who prescribed anti-worm tablets and some cream and suppositories,these worked for a few weeks before the symptoms came back.

my toilet habits have always been good as I have always washed my bum and never use toilet paper only water,so I dont think its because of hygiene .Also I have no pain or bleeding

My stools were constantly like little peebles and whenever I strained a little on the toilet seat my anus would swell which made it difficult for me to complete the reminder of my bowel movement this has been ongoing for few years ,could this be contributed to this chronic itching ? after consulting my doctor again last month he prescibed Psyllium Husk and made a referral to hospital,I have had stool tests done and they have come back normal.

whilst taking the psyllium husk supplements I thought my itching was getting better my stools were very well formed with hardly no straining i cant remember the last time that happened!! it was itching very little and I thought I will be better soon ,but few days ago the itching started again im not sure what triggered this!! which in turn has started to cause me anxiety regarding this itching never getting better,I've also been dieting for the last few days and the itch is still present which makes me doubt its food related

So basically I would like someone to please help me ,how long whilst taking the Psyllium husk should I notice the itching get better?im on the 4th week !I'm also using calmoseptine ointment..any help/advice would be very appreciated,as I'm getting very frustrated with this condition ..

thank you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Itchy anus are suffered by so many people and there are several common causes.

1]Worms. You have been treated for these but sometimes they come back after about 2-3 weeks . you should have received another dose after 14 days to finally eliminate all worms. Have you seen any worms? All your pants/pyjamas/ sheets etc should also be washed at a high ,at least 60 deg wash to eliminate eggs.

2] Piles/ haemorroids. Has your doctor examined your rectum for piles?

3] Fungal. Has your doctor considered a fungal origin? You may need a swab to confirm this but you could try getting a cream from your chemist/pharmacy that contains Clotrimazole.

4] Pants made from artificial fibre like polyester/nylon/lycra, especially if they are close fitting. Only wear 100% cotton pants and dont wear any at night.

5] Diet. Dairy food like milk,yoghurt, cheese etc etc. can have this effect. Try cutting it out completely for 2 weeks. If that makes no difference try leaving wheat/gluten out of your diet for 2 weeks. If it is food related its just a case of keeping a food diary to see what causes the problem. You have to examine all ready made food as well to make sure no suspect food is part of the ingredients.

6} Loose and possibly leaking faeces which makes it difficult to clean the area thoroughly. I am guessing this is why your doc gave you psyllium husk. especially as you say when your stools were well formed you had no problem.

7] has your child been scratching at their anus, especially at night? Could he/she have worms? That could be a clue.

I do hope you find an answer soon .

• Posted

thank you for your reply and kind advice.

1)worms= I took the full double dose after 14 days,plus I didn't think it was worms as I've had them in the past and the itching for worms was different.

2)My GP has examined me and nothing remarkable on examination only said that he felt my stools were dry .

3)apparently fungal has been ruled out as my anal skin looks normal and like I said the itch is primarily;felt inside the anus.

4)I have only started to wear 100% cotton

5)I will keep an eye out regarding food,I don't drink coffee or tea or even alcohol so thats a start.

6)like I said previously whenever I sat on the toilet for a bowel movement my stools would be very pelt like and also my anus would swell up on a little straining..which made me feel a incomplete bowel movement

7)no worms

• Posted

did you ever solve this? seems like what I have, in same situation!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.