Itchy bottom

Posted , 4 users are following.

For a long time I have suffered from a regularly itchy bottom hole.  It's worst in the evenings when I am sitting at home, and first thing in the morning before I get up.  It also occurs while I'm on the toilet, and can be aggravated when I wipe my bottom afterwards.  I've been to the GP who prescribed a cream which eased  it for a while but it has come back and I don't know what else to do.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

JohnAlan, that is exactly what my late mother would have said!

Peter, once we have ruled out worms and diabetes, perhaps it could be the soap that you use, or the washing product that you wash your clothes with

Did the GP prescribe a steroid cream?  Perhaps you need an anti fungal steroid cream, like Clotrimazole HC  [that is the anti fungal - Clotrimazole and the HC is Hydrocortisone.  You can buy it over the counter but they won't sell it to ladies over 60, so they may not sell it to men either, meaning that you will have to go to your GP.  Has he checked for diabetes?

• Posted

I'm not sure what sort of cream it was.  The GP didn't check for diabetes.
  • Posted

As the others say but one thing I have found very helpful is to wash my bottom with soap/gel every time after using the toilet.  Another possibility is that my local supermarket sells what is euphemistically called "moist bathroom tissue" - effectively adult "baby wipes" if that makes any sense.  This may sound a bit gross but using them after paper does indicate how much soiling is left "behind". Well done for seeing GP who will probably have ruled out piles etc.

You can self treat for worms with a powder from the chemist. It will do no harm if you have not got worms!

• Posted

I do use moist toilet tissue when I'm at home.  The GP did say it looked quite dry when she examined it.  I go to the loo twice a day and if I'm at work or in a public place have no option but to use the dry tissue provided. I suspect excessive wiping doesn't help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.