Itchy, burning sensations

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ladies,

Have any of you experienced having itchy, burning sensations under your skin? For the past two nights I have been waking up with a fit of itching and scratching with burning to follow. The itching of course caused me to search frantically under the covers for any creatures that may have crept into my bed unbeknownst. Any of this sound familiar or have I finally lost the plot?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have this on my upper arms a lot! It is so awful. i use ice packs on my arms when it gets too bad. Also, the more you leave it alone, the better it will be. Hard to do but it helps.

• Posted

Hi there,

This is common. caused by hormones. The itchy bug crawling feeling is quite common. Not much you can do as it wears off. my doctor said benedryl helps and it did. The burning part is too but my doctor also said the burning can be closely related to a different kind of hot flash but it is exacerbated by stress and food allergies like wheat, gluten, dairy etc. i cut out wheat and anything processed and I never get the burning. i had a piece of sour dough bread and I flared up with burning sensation again. the burning cools down with a shower or bath.

• Posted

Haha yes @sharcerv52408 - I have phases of feeling like I'm wearing a brillo pad! Very itchy and burny feeling all over body for days/weeks then just goes as quickly as it arrived - I've often wondered if I have become more allergic to something as I am sneezing more too. I have never had allergy probs until the last few years though so who knows! 😃 But you've not lost the plot - it's the weirdest thing....

• Posted

Thanks ladies for your kind and helpful responses. At least I know that I am not alone or going crazy or both! 😂

• Posted

oh no... you are not going crazy! It's all part if the lovely hormone changes. Every day is a challenge it seems for me. i wake up anxious, joints ache, have extreme fatigue, brain fog, can't sleep and more. Eating healthy, going to bed early, exercising, staying involved with my hobbies and this forum are what keep me going. I wish you the best.!

• Posted

Yes, I had the itching under skin for a bout 2 years in my late thirties, I never knew what it was but felt weird as I could not get relief from scratching as it was underneath. Then in my early forties I developed burning sensation in my lower abdomen, it felt like my bladder and uterus were on fire, I had many, many tests done to rule out infections or any growths several times, all came back negative. I saw a urologist, gynocologist, and a natural practitioner that all were on the same page, that it was hormonal and in fact the decrease of estrogen can bring this on, one of my blood tests did in fact show lower estrogen. I can also have burning gums, I have had burning in my upper back and also acid reflux which I never had before. I have even had burning on the bottom of my feet. Talking to many heath care professionals and other women in my age group this seems to be a normal thing. I have not had an official hot flash, but perhaps this is my bodies way of bringing them out. None the less it is not comfortable, especially when in the lower pelvis as I never know if I have a UTI or yeast infection. I always get checked if I am in doubt, but always assured that things are okay and it is what it is. I do hope this will go away like the weird itching did. It causes some stress and anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.