Itchy every night, and all over body, help?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My grandmother keeps complaining and suffering from itchiness that won't go away. She uses powder to help stop the symptoms but they seldom do. I can't think of anything she's allergic to either.

Can someone help me?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I also get this, would be very interested to see the answers.

Some things to try; use shower/bath products with minimal ingredients, for example Sanex 0%.

Check your washing powder is non-bio and hasn't got any harmful chemicals.

Also, does she get any twitching/spasms at all?

• Posted

No, her skin just itches. It's very uncomfortable, she always says.

• Posted

Dry skin can cause itching, try something like Nivea and see it that helps.  Does she drink enough fluids?  Elderly people sometimes cut back on their intake because they are afraid of incontinence.

What age is your grandmother?

Has she been to see her GP?  A sedating anti-histamine might help.

Get your grandmother to go to her GP and have an MOT!  

• Posted

She drinks at least one bottle of water a day, and she's in her late 50s.
  • Posted

Does your grandmother have any yellowing to the whites of the eyes or/and her skin?

Itching can be a symptom of liver problems.

She should see her GP and rule this out.

• Posted

Where the skin itches, they're these tiny spots. She complains that they appear all around her body, but only irritate her at night.
  • Posted

It could be bedbugs. They are very tiny and come out at night and leave little red bumps. They are becoming an epidemic in many countries.
    • Posted

Any way to prevent this?
  • Posted

I apologise to your grandmother, late 50s isn't elderly!!

She ought to go to her GP.

Has she changed her washing powder/liquid recently, or, has the manufacturer changed the ingredients?  My itching started in about 2002 and was triggered by cheap rubber gloves.  Initially, I/the doctor, thought it was latex but after a lot of research and eventually being referred to a Dermatologist, who did patch testing, it was found that I was/am allergic to formaldehyde and formaldehyde releasers.

That was brought under control by very potent steroid cream.  [There are levels of potenct and 'very potent' is the highest]

I subsequently started to itch again in about 2010 and, again, after a lot of research etc., I was referred to a Dermatologist and this time, it is an autoimmune disease and I have been on systemic steroids and am now on steroid sparing drugs.

I used to itch a lot at night and put copious amounts of 'very potent' steroid cream on and sit with my feet in a bowl of ice cold water to stop the itching, this was prior to being referred.

So, tell your grandmother to go to her GP and get some tests, diabetes is another thing that can cause itching, the list is endless!  And ask her if she has changed the washing powder or shampoo, or hand cream or anything like that.

Good luck to her!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.