Itchy eyes and scalp after Shingles but shingles wasnt around facial area

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all

Ive had shingles a week ago, going from my belly button, left abdomen and left back. Its been cleared by the doctors after scabbing and after going through 5 days of acyclovir.

After second checkup with the doctor, he gave me kolmeco and doloneurobio, apparantly its to heal up the nerves.

In the past few days my eyes have been slightly dry and itches. The itching is also around my scalps and ears but not around the part where the shingles were.

Anybody had these same issues or could help me deal with the itchy eyes?

Ive read some post regarding itchy eyes but its only foe those who had shingles in the facial area.

Thank You and hope to hear from some of you.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gsim,

The itching could be caused by either kolmeco or doloneurobio. These are Vitamins that you do not need to take if you eat protein, vegetables, and fruits. Both medications definitely cause itching as a major side effect. I would stop both medications immediately.

Apply cool compresses to your eyes and itchy areas. Do not scratch!!!! You can take diphenhydramine 25 mg orally for the itching three times a day.I would see your doctor immediately if the itching does not go away or if you develop a rash.If you are having trouble seeing, or have any discharge from your eyes, or rash, please see an eye doctor immediately!

Please let me know how you are doing!

How old are you?

Which country are you from?

Do you have any drug allergies?

Are you on an antiviral? Which one and for how long?

Best Regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry

Thanks for the input. I am from Indonesia and im 25 years old. I dont have any drug allergies to my knowledge.

Currently theres no rash and as for the antiviral, I was on Acyclovir for 5 days taken 5 times a day.

I'm slightly worried about my consumption pattern of the antiviral, well correct me if im just paranoid. I was diagnosed with shingles friday night and start taking Acycrovil that same night and went to sleep right sway. While ive read online that it should be on a full daily cycle of every 4 hours, do you think i messsed this up? While the doctor ( visited wednesday) said its fine because my shingles have actually started to scab after 5 days. Additionally he didnt presribe me with anymore antivirals while ive read that you should be on antivirals for 7-10 days, is this also normal?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Gsim,

Acyclovir should be prescribed 800 mg 5 times daily for 7 to 10 days. Optimally, you space the drug out over 24 hours, so every 5 hours, but your also need to sleep.You do not want your patient to wake up just to take his medicine. So I would tell you to take it every 4 hours 6AM 10AM 2PM 6PM 10PM, so you could get some sleep. If you already scabbed over and are feeling better, do not worry about it.

If you should get it the next time, you need a 7 day prescription, however.

Also, Google High Lysine Low Arginine Diet and Herpes to prevent a recurrent episode. It will tell you foods to eat and foods to avoid.

Get your Vitamin D level checked as Vitamin D is important for immune function. It should be 40 -50.

Indonesia is usually sunny, is it not? But are you darker skinned? Do you work indoors, mostly? Some darker skinned people who work indoors, even when they are young, can have low levels of Vitamin D. If it is 30 or below, it is too low. I am white, 66 years, work indoors, live in the US with snow in the dark winters. My level was 14. I take Vitamin D3 2000 IU daily.

Best Regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry

Thanks for the input and ill definitley start the diet youve mentioned. It is sunny in the Indonesia and it hasnt rain in the past month as well. I am tan-skinned and work indoors for most of the day.

Ive started taking Vitamin D supplements this morning after reading your reply. Cavit-D3 to be exact the name of it.

Should I start taking diphenhydramine as well?

Thank You

• Posted

Gsim,

If you have stopped the other medications your physician prescribed, and don't feel itchy, there is no need to take diphenhydramine. The diphenhydramine is for itching. Your Vitamin D3 could very well be fine as you are young and live in a sunny climate. I was merely suggesting you get Vitamin D3 blood level checked. Healthy people manufacture it by being exposed to the sun. The Cavit-D3 will help your bones to be strong and build your immunity. I hope you have stopped itching.

You write perfect English, better than many Americans!

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hello

I am confused because you say you got shingles on the abdomen,  then you got another bout on your scalp too?

I had shingles in February and almost after four months I have seen another little blister on my scalp again!  The itch has come and gone!

I hear many patients here get repeated bouts!  Can yours have repeated on your scalp ?

• Posted

At the moment I dont have shingles around my facial area. But Im currently having Post-Shingles which usually come around the same area where the shingles were. In my case, I am worried because the itching isnt around my abdomen where it was, the itching is around my scalp and my eyes are itching and felt a little bit dry.
    • Posted

Hello

It’s odd that the itching isn’t in the area where you got shingles the first time which was the abdominal area!  You say the itching is on your scalp!  

It’s odd cause I had it on my scalp where the shingles came out four months ago and today I got another little blister where I had it the first time!  I can’t beli  this can happen again!  I heard people here in the island who got shingles just once and it’s over!!  I am so fustrated!  My mom and sister got shingles and that was it!  I got it on my scalp and it’s the worse place cause you can’t see it!  I have to ask my daughter every time I get itchy to check it out!  My mom got in under her breast towards the torso!  But only one time and it was over!  I also took the anti viral on time!  

My scalp is always itchy after that first shingle episode 

I want to cry!

Thanks for hearing me

Myrna

• Posted

Hello

I believe the anti viral is to be take before 72 hours and for just 7 days!  No need to take more!  If you took just for 5 days but four tunes a day it’s ok!

• Posted

Gsim,

If the itching is in both eyes and your entire scalp, with no vesicle-blisters, it is quite possibly an allergy, not shingles. Hopefully, you stopped the medications, kolmeco and doloneurobio. Take diphenhydramine 25mg as that should help the itching. Please see your doctor and be examined.

Ask yourself, are you using any new soaps, shampoos, or detergents?

Creams or Lotions?

And of course, any new medications?

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry.

I didnt take Kolmeco and Doloneurobion for the the whole day and only the vitamin D3, i have to say the itching wasnt as bad as yesterday's. I tried to follow the diet youve mentioned by adding yoghurt today. My eyes are also less itchy but still felt dry the whole day. Ill try to get diphenyndramine tomorrow at the pharmacy.

One thing i forgot to mention is that after visited the doctor on wednesday, I started to go to the office the next day (thursday), ive had a colleague who also had shingles (at 35 years old) and he told me today I shouldve rested for 10 days during the recovery. Do you think this post-itch was affected because I wasnt resting enough?

And again, Thank You and sorry if I keep asking more questions.

• Posted

The colleague had it a few years ago, not during the same time as me.
    • Posted

Hi Gsim,

If you feel great and the lesions are scabbed over or covered, there is no reason you shouldn't go to the office. Often younger individuals do not suffer with the intense excruciating burning pain that older people do.

You can use lubricating eye drops if your eyes feel dry. Single use vials without preservatives are much better for your eyes. You can use the "single use vials" more than once.

If the post itch is not in the original site, your abdomen, and is in both your eyes and all over your scalp without a rash, I doubt that it is Shingles. Also, if the itching is less today, it is probably an allergy of some sort.

I usually recommend rest and sleep for individuals who are in pain, and those who have fatigue and exhaustion. It always depends on the duration of symptoms. Some individuals are fortunate and do not experience any of these symptoms and do not need to take off from work. Others are devastated by this disease.

Best Wishes to you Gsim,

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hello

The itch is part of the shingles!  I had shingles in February and just yesterday I got a blister after like 4 months 

The itch is everyday and the nerve pain!  The only pain reliever I can take is Tylenol and Advil!  I took the anti viral Zovirax for 7 days within the 72 hours!  I still have an itchy scalp and what helps a bit is cold towels over the scalp!

Hope you can also get some

relief as well!

Myrna 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.