Itchy inflamed skin- estrogen dominance?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I started with itchy skin around my eyes about 10 weeks ago and this has now spread to all of my T zone and scalp. I have watery eyes and blurred vision and am really tired. My skin has become inflamed and I’m losing parts of my inner eyebrows. Blood tests have largely been normal but as I’m on HRT Estrogen they tested my estrodiol levels and it was 1442- well above the reference range. It’s been suggested that this is the cause of my issues so I’ve stopped the HRT.  Has anybody experienced something similar? I’m feeling very low because of the constant itch but allergy testing etc normal. I had a low then below normal TSH reading but as this has gone back up to just above the bottom end of normal the docs don’t consider this a factor particularly as the T3 and T4 are normal. Help!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I've just read this. I'm wondering whether this could actually be seborrheic dermatitis. This is something I've suffered from in the past and it sound's remarkably similar to my own experience. Personally I've had oestradiol up in the 3000's, it made me red and hot... but by the time I was back to around 1100 pmol/l everything started getting back to normal.

Seb derm can and does effect the t zone and scalp and can be very aggressive at times and can be sensitive to hormones.., especially androgens. Has anyone ever checked testosterone levels?

What form of hrt are you on? Sorry I've got to cut this short due to time constraints.

• Posted

I'm not saying that's definitely what it is, we're all different after all.

I'm kinda assuming you're taking something transdermally or buccally/sublingual, these last two can cause a very large spike followed by a very pronounced valley... it's the sort of hormone profile that really knocks you around (speaking from experience).

• Posted

I was also thinking seb derm but the dermatologist said I would have something to see in the surface of the skin. In places I can it’s a bit inflamed but in reality the only symptom is constant itching.  I was on testosterone as well as estrogen and progesterone initially but a second gyno told me to stop the testosterone and I had a mirena coil fitted to replace the oral progesterone. The estrogen is a gel I apply once a day. I recognise my hormones will be out of balance. I imagine my testosterone is still fairly high as I still apply the testim gel every now and then. The mirena coil only gives out a small amount of progesterone so I’ll have loads of estrogen, lesser amount of testosterone and a small amount of progesterone - even smaller now I think because the stress I’m under will have reduced it further. I’ve had an itchy scalp frequently in the past but it hadn’t bothered me. The derm looked at it this week and said there was no evidence of seb derm! Meanwhile I’ve come out in a neck rash but I think that’s stress related. Whilst I think it’s rare just to have the itching I have found websites which suggest it’s possible with seb derm. I’m waiting for an appt for a skin biopsy and meanwhile remain off HRT. Not sure what effect this will have on my other previous perimenopausal symptoms! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.