Itchy irritated vaginal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Last week I went on the dentist to get s tooth pulled and the prescribed me antibiotics for an infection in my tooth. A couple days after taking them I started experiencing irritation and itching on my vaginal area. When I scratch it rough it feels better and almost pleasuring. I've developed a cold now too and started my period the next day. I'm worried it might be HIV. I've been very sexually active and not protecting myself lately. I don't know if it's just from the antibiotics or if I might have a serious std.

2 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi d97265, 

    Antibiotics can upset the delicate balance of natural candida found in the vagina. If they are upset it can lead to thrush. This might be the condition you are describing.

    However, as you have said that you have been sexually active recently and without protection it might be a good idea to get yourself checked out for STIs. There are several STIs which can cause vaginal itching as a symptom, but many STIs are also symptomless. For this reason even if you have been having unprotected sex and don't develop any symptoms you should still have regular checks. 

    STI checks are painless and can usually be carried out at a sexual health clinic, GUM clinic or at your GP. Lots of STIs can be cleared up with medication so try not to worry too much about the outcome. 

    In the meantime, try not to itch the area as this can spread the infection and lead to exacerbated symptoms. 

    Hope this helps. 

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    t might be side affects but if its not you really need to get it checked out you dont need to see your own doc there are walkin centres now but you need a appointment first hope you be fine but if you dont have it checked out!!!! well you know it might turn bad....
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I doubt it's HIV .

    1 in 1000 people get HIV ... And if someone is HIV positive they are suppose to alert you if not that's criminal transmission ...

    You should just go to the doctor and get a std check up

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up