Itchy Legs

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has anyone experienced itchy legs at night? For several nights now I have an itching frenzy with my legs around the ankles and on the top of my feet. I know i got bitten pretty bad by mosquitoes this summer but its October!  It only seems to stir up at night. Another thing keeping me awake!

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

• Posted

I have had that in the past. Its very annoying. Have you tried benadryl? 
  • Posted

Is it itchy legs or restless leg syndrome? I have gotten restless leg syndrome bad during the 8 months I've had the peri symptoms. Since only at night, is it possible you have bed bugs?
    • Posted

No i don't think so because it happens even before i get in the bed. I can be watching tv with the family and all of a sudden the itching will start. 
  • Edited

Hi shar

Stop panicking .. 

Itchy skin can be hormone fluctuations 

Read the heading 66 symptoms of menopause 

Try and relax.. 

Itchy skin can be certain medications too, and mozzy bites always itch. 

I live in spain and use to get bitten alive.

Mozzys hate vit B1 ( thiamine) 

I take 150mg daily, never get bitten now. 

Jay xx

• Posted

Peri meno / menopause Itchy Skin 

Why is the menopause giving me itchy skin?

As you go through the menopause, levels of the hormone oestrogen begin to drop.

Oestrogen has a number of functions, including regulating the moisture levels of your tissues and stimulating the production of collagen.

Collagen is a fibre that improves the strength and elasticity of skin – low levels of collagen can lead to the formation of wrinkles.

As the level of oestrogen in your body falls, so does the amount of collagen and skin-moistening oils produced.

This causes your skin to become dry and irritated. You may first notice this around the T-zone of your face although it can spread over your whole body.

Raised stress levels can exacerbate itching as stress triggers the release of histamine, which can cause flushing, itching and sometimes skin rashes.

As many mid-life women are dealing with stressful circumstances, working to support and calm the nervous system is important.

If levels of uric acid rise, due to dehydration and/or excess intake of caffeinated drinks, discomfort and itching can worsen.

This factor may also contribute to soreness in the joints, another one of the common menopause symptoms.

• Posted

hi shar

i also take 150mg B1 daily for mozzys ..

only because my tablets are 300mg and i halve them.

100mg is enough..

the Mega B100 and Busy B has 100mg B1 and the 100mg  B6 in it 

B1 good for the body in other ways too 

now its cooler here the mozzys are out and about again..

its the females that bite you.. They want your blood to lay their eggs 😥

night fisherman take B1 so they arent bitten .

works a treat.. Has to be Thiamine B1 .

no other B vits keep mozzys off ..

jay xx

• Posted

Hi, itchy feet was one of the first symptoms I had. Happened during the day mostly, esp when driving! It didnt last long, maybe a few weeks. Hope yours settles down soon.
  • Posted

Yes i have very ichy skin and one of my friends told me to get flaxi seed from Holland and Barette so i got some yesterday and i had a good sleep.Just put 30grms in a glass of water of on your ceral in the morning.
    • Posted

Hi Julie 

i have been thinking of trying flax seed ( linseed) myself ..

( they call it semillas de lino here in spain)  but its whole not ground ..😞

can you tell me what it tastes like ..

i make myself have two weetabix in the morning and was thinking about flax  seed to sprinkle on top of it..

but not sure it i will like the taste or not 

jay xx

• Posted

Flax seed usefu info ..

The lignans in flaxseeds appear to act like conventional hormone replacement therapy, or HRT, for women who're going through menopause, says the University of Maryland Medical Center.

Flaxseeds appear to reduce blood sugar levels and menopausal symptoms like hot flashes and mood swings.

They also have the potential to reduce your chances of osteoporosis by strengthening your bones. A 2002 study in "Obstetrics and Gynecology" found that flaxseed supplements were equally as effective as HRT in reducing menopausal symptoms, notes the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.

A 2007 study in the "Journal of the Society for Integrative Oncology" discovered that flaxseed reduced hot flashes by 50 percent in menopausal women.

However, a large, yearlong study found that flaxseed was no more effective in treating menopausal symptoms than a placebo, according to a 2004 issue of the "Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism."

Dosage

The typical adult dosage of flaxseed is 1 tbsp. two or three times per day, says the University of Maryland Medical Center, or you can take up to 4 tbsp. once a day.

Grind and mix the flaxseed with at least 6 oz. of water, Mayo Clinic advises. It will take at least a few days before you see any effects, notes the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.

Keep in mind that flaxseed oil doesn't contain the phytoestrogenic lignans contained in whole flaxseeds. Ask your doctor for the dosage that's right for you before you start taking flaxseed to treat menopausal symptoms.

Warning

Some people can have an allergic reaction to flaxseed, and they are safe for women who're pregnant or lactating, warns the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.

If you or your family has a history of breast, uterine or other estrogen-sensitive cancers, don't take flaxseed, since the lignans' phytoestrogenic properties might stimulate cancer cell growth.

Consult your doctor before taking flaxseeds if you have diabetes or take blood-thinning medications like Coumadin, Mayo Clinic cautions. Perhaps most importantly, don't consume raw or unripe flaxseed pods, which are poisonous.

• Posted

Hi Jay this is handy piece of info,didn't know this ,another for my notebook ,breast cancer in family ( close).things a dr maybe wouldn't know to tell you .

Another amazing thing you found . xx

• Posted

Hi Marlene 

yes ... I was thinking about some flax seed but having read that i will give it a miss 

hope your well 

jay xx

• Posted

Hi Jay ,bug free just had it a month ,daughter still not good yesterday ,had it 6weeks ,local pharmacist ,had it to for 3 weeks ,so it's still doing the rounds ,he didn't look well .

That Bartholin gland gone to ,Happy days .

The breast cancer was a surprise ,hope that's alerted ones with that in close family with it .Had no idea till your post .

Hope your doing okay yourself ,xxxand the animals all doing okay .

• Posted

Hi Marlene 

blimey thats some bug you had .. Not nice ..

had my flu jab last monday 😊 ( influenza and swine flu) 

have one every year .. had proper flu twice years ago once when pregnant... Never again if i can help it ...... 

all good here , sun shining a nice cooler 26 degrees most days ..

good pottering about weather ..

no more jumping in pool thats cold again .. Hehehehe

Dogs are fine ... 😃

busy with other stuff here so always occupied one way or another ..

good to keep busy ..

have a nice sunday 

jay xx

• Posted

Chemist said really bad virus ,it's been going around off and on since last Xmas ,but it last when you pick it up . Boy not wrong there ,felt really rough ,husband touch wood has been fine .You mum and dad been okay .

We had flu jab ,wouldn't miss it .Not nice ,you always remember how you felt ,when you've had the flu bad ,as you have. Ditto here .

Glad doggies are well .always good to hear ,like ones kids they are .

So no more pool time ,You've had hot summer out there ,so you've had fair use of it .Do you have fireplace in your home ? See some do .

Cold here ,had fair bit of rain to . that's UK hey .xxx Mar 

• Posted

hi marlene 

yes parents are fine ..

yes we have a fire ..log fire ... Wood burner ..

not normally required until decemeber time .. 

Always warmer out than in in december/jan/feb here ..

have AC thats cold and Hot too if needed ..

no coat required its lovely ..

take care

jay xx

• Posted

Thats weird you saidi that i had it  with weetabix this morning yes it was fine 30grms
    • Posted

My doctor told me to have soy beans she said it is really good to have for the menopause.   She said to just add them to good when cooking.

Tina

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.