Itchy rash

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've finally been diagnosed with lupus after 9 year of an itchy rash. It started out on my hands and has recently over to my legs. It looks disgusting! I'm now on plaquenel...200mg twice a day and I also use clobetasol twice a day. I'm still super itchy and I feel the rash gets worse each day. I wake up at night from a deep sleep from the itchiness! Has anyone else experienced this and if you hve, please tell me what worked for you!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

My rheumie prescribes betamethazone steroid cream for the rash & I use calomine lotion and take benedryl.  (that's after I go screaming into a hot shower btw-lol-I know your pain)...severe itching is HORRIBLE!  I now use noxemia helioplex for sunscreen, and to be perfectly honest, I stay out of the sun as much as possible!  I'm extremely photosensitive & get horrid itchy rashes.  The plaquenil gold standard takes a few months to start working-and it will help minimize your symptoms but not take them away completely.  There are more lupus meds you can add to that to help treat the underlying disease-LUPUS- like disease modifying drugs (like Imuran, Cellcept, more) and Benlysta (biological) or methotrexate.  You have options.  smile  So I'd suggest asking your rheumatologist about them.  You can also ask for a prescribed strong antihistamine as they help the itching too.

Good luck!  smile   JJ

• Posted

I meant Neutragena Helioplex- oops  smile
    • Posted

Oddly enough the sun seems to help my rash! Everything I've been reading says it will get worse in the sun but I find mine is worse in the winter! Strange! I have only been on the plaquenel for a few weeks. At firSt my rheumo only had me take 200mg once a day so I just started taking it twice a day for about a week now. Good to know that it take a couple months. I will still put a call in tomorrow to see what he says. I've been itchy for 9 years now! I can't take it anymore! Before it was on my hands but now it's all over my legs. I'm going to be so embarassed this summer!

• Posted

Imuran and Cellcept, what type of drugs are these? I have not been put on these yet and we cannot get my flare-up under control.
    • Posted

They are called dmards, or disease modifiers. Cellcept (mycophenolate) is actually a med to prevent organ rejection. I've been on it many years and find it very effective. Are you on prednisone to help you with the flare?

• Posted

I've never heard of the sun HELPING a Lupus rash instead of causing one, lol. But yeah-absolutely I hope your using steroid cream to help your rashes. If you're not getting the answers you need from your rheumie or gp, ask to see a dermatologist who can do a skin biopsy & figure out what's going on and exactly how to treat it.

• Posted

Yes, just increased the prednisone and of course I am on plaquenil. The sun definitely causes severe flare-up for me!
  • Posted

Hi Superitchy

E45 Itch Cream is good..also Tesco do a good cream that worked on ezcema called Aqueous Cream in a large white pot......hope this helps it must be awful to be constantly itching....best wishes....

• Posted

Hi. I had the same. Same as what other people have said, try an antihistamine just before you go to bed and you can take another through the day. I started on basic loratidine and cetirizine, when it got really bad they gave me atarax from the GP. They then sent me for a patch test to see what I am allergic to, if the rash is ruining your life, that would be the next option really. Sometimes you can react to not the ingredient of the cream / ointment itself, but to whatever the "carrier" is. That is the stuff they put the active ingredient in. I didn't find any of the steroid creams they gave me evey effective. But I found Dermol (just an emoillient) very helpful as it stopped my skin from drying, which made it worse. Do try looking at your diet though, processed food and things high in salt made me worse, so cut down on them. My rashes now only come up when I am having a flare, which thankfully is only two or three times a year, and can be managed with surprisingly enough loratidine twice a day and cheap shea based body butter from Tesco! Saves a lot of money and trips to the GP as loratidine is cheap as chips and body butter less than £5. Good luck with you, hopefully you will find whichever cream helps you best, it took me three years of trial and error. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Honestly. you really should stay out of the sun, my lupus flares up even though I love feeling the warmth, it is really not worth it.

• Posted

Are anot inflamatories and antihistamines the same? I'm already on the plaquenel. The clobetasol they told me was the stringest cream out there. I am also using excipial cream as a moisturizer which I found helped a ton on my hands and I just started using it on my legs. They took a biopsy of the rash on my hands but it was inconclusive.

• Posted

Hi. No. Anti histamines are short lived and only act to stop histamine being released. Plaquenil is something totally different and it treats the lupus itself. I suppose the good news is that your biopsy showed nothing serious. My rash starts as little raised areas, the drier it gets, the more itchy it becomes, then the more I scratch, the itchier it gets, then it goes red raw. So I slap the emollient on as soon as and keep putting it on through the day to stop it drying out. The antihistamine can help stop the scratch/itch cycle. Best check with the GP or Rheumy, see what they think.
    • Posted

Mine starts as little red bumps and if I scratch them the skin comes right off. Sometimes I don't even realize I am scratching scabs and I start bleeding everywhere! Is an antihistamine like a benedryl? Won't that put me to sleep? I feel like I'm the most itchy if I didn't get enough sleep. Usually during the day I am okay. Working out seems to help too. I guess the good news is that the only thing the lupus is attacking right now is my skin. It took 9 years for doctors to find out what it was! I have been reading up a lot on this disease and it looks like things could be much worse!

I also have these 3 nodules on my hands that are itchy every once in a while. The dermatologist said he can't do anythING about them and the only way to remove them is by a plastic surgeon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.