Itchy roof of mouth, I think it's hayfever but tried all of the medicines! Any suggestions?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I first had hayfever in 2004 when I was 20, started using piriton, cetirizine, loretadine, currently on fexofenadine (which gives me nightmares). I've just looked at immunotherapy which I haven't heard of until now. Has anyone had this or any tips to help relieve the itching?

Tried eating icecream, cold drinks, numbing throat spray, I don't like honey (local honey is supposed to help). I'm scared to stop taking the fexofenadine incase any of the other usual hayfever symptoms come back (streaming eyes, nose, nose bleeds, blocked nose, etc).

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Is it constant or does it ever have breaks?

If it's intermittent in any way, id suggest keeping a food diary. Things like allergies can do this. Include utensils you use to cook and eat/drink with as well not just the food

Hope it improves for you soon

God bless

• Posted

Oh wow ok. I have it all day every day for months (woken up with it this morning). If it is a food allergy would the tablets not resolve it? I think it eases up during the winter months but it feels like I've had it forever so I'm not 100% sure. Keeping a diary definitely sounds a good idea. Thank you ☺️
    • Posted

Different meds work for different allergens sometimes so not necessarily.

Also, try changing to a chemical free non toxic toothpaste. Could easily have developed an allergy or sensitivity to whichever you use. Also makeup especially lip items, or laundry detergent for your bedding especially, or try changing your pillow/bedding. Dust allergies show in different ways. Is the itching worse at certain times in the day?

The winter comments interesting!

You're most welcome.

• Posted

I have had it for years on and off, I've always just linked it to hayfever so all of those are interesting points. I've got new bedding for summer, started using no 7 lipcare and lipstick since Christmas and using a new toothpaste the dentist gave me, could be any of those perhaps. I don't dry my clothes outside so I can reduce pollen getting on them and keep my bedroom window shut during the day. So maybe it is a food. Or detergent. I use fairy non bio though 😕 I'm going to ask in boots if they can recommend anything. The doctors usually frown at me as if I'm crazy when I ask them.
    • Posted

That's lots of changes. Yes could be any of them. Keep them in the diary too. And get patch tested!

Fairy non bio is full of chemicals. We use eco balls. But there are others.

We know the feeling, doctors literally have laughed at patients symptoms. You know your body, just keep trying. And keep hope.

• Posted

I have a Drs appt Monday so I'll ask again and be firmer. And ask for an allergy test/patch test as never had one.

Not really heard of Eco balls so will take a trip to the shops later and have a look. Thank you for all your advice

• Posted

Patch tests test for skin allergies. Prick tests test for other exposure allergies such as food or dust or environmental. A dermatologist do them. Don't let them fob you off with blood tests as they're unreliable

Which country are you in? Most chemical free non toxic ones aren't always available in shops. Some like boots may do a select few, like Method etc. Online shops like Big Green Smile have a wider selection, however still read the ingredients as just because the store states chemical free or no nasties, I'm afraid it's not a hard and fast rule. Also, it's always worth baring in mind one can be allergic to natural things like chamomile.

You're most welcome. We've been there, still are! It's only through fellow sufferers one learns, doctors are too busy or uninformed.

Best of luck!

• Posted

Ps remembered I saw this last year

*Hi for anyone that suffers really bad with hayfever! I saw something on the tv and advised my daughter to try it and it worked as she suffers really badly! Its simply grapefruit juice mixed with pineapple juice! xx *

Be careful with prescription medications tho as you can't take grapefruit juice with some.

• Posted

HI, Jimjamjem

I used to deal with similar problems for a long time. You mentioned itching, is that on your skin/hands/legs or around the nose/throat?? 

I used to take cetirizine and fexofenadine for some time, but they made me very drowsy.. 

After a long time i stumbled upon a breathing exercise that deals with the symptoms of Nose /throat/ mouth.. and its amazing. I use it as and when needed and it helps keep flu like symptoms at bay.. I think its preventive role is the best use that i have managed to do so far..

If you think the idea exercise doesnot seem too weird or crazy, i can tell you about it... Its all about strengthening ourselves against other things, and not focussing on getting rid of other things from our life... 

Anyway, if this isnt too absurd for you, then i can certainly help.

Cheers

• Posted

Hi. Wondering how you're doing? Did you have allergy tests? Also Did you ever look into oral allergy syndrome? God bless

• Posted

Hello, thank you for all your suggestions. I've started taking beconaise nasal spray as recommended by the pharmacist. Why the doctors didn't know to give me that I have no idea. Anyway, chemist said to try it as my nose and mouth/throat etc are all connected therefore using the nasal spray could help. It worked. It's amazing. I've been suffering for years and it's gone like magic! Although maybe the hayfever season hasn't quite kicked in yet, UK weather is so weird just now. Anyway, thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.