Itchy Scalp from Eliquis?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Of all the listed side effects of Eliquis on Drugs.com, I am particularly annoyed by an itchy scalp. I don’t have hives or a rash but find myself scratching my scalp frequently. I have tried changing shampoos to no effect.

Anyone else have these symptoms? Any suggestions for relief? I am happy that this is the only side effect from Eliquis which is more of an annoyance than anything. FWIW, I also take Tikosyn but this is not a listed side effect.

Regards,

Patrick

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had an itchy scalp a white ago and wondering what it was from. It went away. No idea this was a side effect. Thanks for alerting me.
  • Posted

Hmm.  Never had my scalp itching from it, but from soon after I started Eliquis I started a persistent itch on my back just below my right shoulder blade.  That was back in December last year, and I still have it.  I just ignore it, but I do try to scratch it absent mindedly at intervals and then remember not to.
  • Posted

Yes, I also get itchy scalp, drives me mad in bed. It comes and goes, sometimes it is all over my body and drives me mad. It can last for days or weeks then disappear.
  • Posted

Hi Patrick!

Yes, itchy scalp and itchy skin in general, but I’m not sure if it is because of the Eliquis or from other meds and health conditions. Like you, there’s no rash etc but I’m wondering if it’s related to psoriasis? I have an autoimmune disease which predisposes you to others, such as psoriasis. Have you tried a coal tar shampoo? It seems to help some people.

Best of luck,

Yvonne 

• Posted

Hello Yvonne,

Thanks for your response and suggestion of coal tar shampoo. Have never been bothered by itchy scalp until I started Eliquis, and since it’s a documented side effect I have to think there’s a connection there.

I have put it on my list of questions for my next visits with my PCP, EP and dermatologist and will go from there. Meanwhile perhaps I will give your suggestion a try, thanks!

Patrick

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.