Itchy skin 24/7- life is intolerable!!!!

Posted , 10 users are following.

I started having itchy skin on my eyelids in February but by now it’s spread to all of my face, inside my ears and nose, neck, armpits and stomach. I’ve seen countless doctors and 2 dermatologists and have had numerous tests which haven’t found anything. I’m perimenopausal and had a Mirena coil fitted last April. I also have a bio identical Estrogen gel I use daily. Everything was fine until this started but as the itchy/crawly/prickly sensation is now constant I struggle to even hold a conversation at times. I’ve tried elimination diets and binning my skincare and haircare products etc but nothing. Does this sound like a peri or menopause symptom? The Mirena coil stopped my periods so I have no idea if I’ve reached menopause or not. I’m really at my wits end and if it continues getting worse I’ll have to give up my job. Life will get pretty bad after that I feel. Help!!!!!

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've been having trouble with prickly skin too.  I never associated it with peri-menopause. but maybe it is.  I  also have had for the last three years a rash on my chest that won't go away.  It always itches at night especially.  At night when it itches I get up and put some baby cornstarch on it.  I haven't heard anything negative about the cornstarch and it does help.  So I will continue on that route.  My hair itches a lot too.  My Mammaw's hair would itch too, and she'd blame the products she used on it.  But it probably is the homonal imbalance due to menopause.  

Im glad you wrote in.

• Posted

I also had a rash on my chest. I used a few drops of peppermint oil mixed in with a carrier oil(you can use almond oil, jojoba oil etc.) Rub it on your chest twice a day. Boom! my rash was gone in two days and has not returned. I know everything doesn't work for everyone but give it  try. Peppermint is soothing and helps with inflammation, but it's strong, hence using the carrier oil.

• Posted

Hi Angie

Itching was my very first symptom around 4 years ago but only b4, during and after my period so thought it was another PMT symptom that not had b4 along with really bad indigestion and boils on my face(I now know the boils popped up cause of scratching my face so much) now it's pretty much there all the time worse at night Wen I'm hot.

I had so many tests but came back normal so my docs just gave up so I did my own research and found out itchy skin can be a first symptom of peri in some women due to it effecting your skin/skin gets dryer. I take a hayfever tablet when it's really bad but even they aren't helping now, so just putting up with it. My scalp is the worst I scratch like I've got lice.

• Posted

"My scalp is the worst I scratch like I've got lice. "

Exactly, it is awful! This sensation is driving me crazy. I am praying to go through this symptom each time.

Are you still having regular periods?

I have also noticed the itchiness before, during and after my period!

What is  PMT?

• Posted

Hi, yes my itching is worse b4, during and after my period so mine is there pretty much all the time. PMT is pre menstral tension or PMS pre menstral syndrome that you have 10-14 days b4 your period with symptoms including depression, mood swings,bloating. I still have regular periods but have gotten earlier and last longer.
    • Posted

Oh yes, I knew only PMS term...I belong to PMDD category premenstrual dysphoric disorder!

I am about to start my period and I do not feel good at all...

I am still menstruating  on the dot every 28 -29 days but I am experiencing horrible peri symptoms on a daily basis.

Are you thinking of HRT?

If I am  a candidate I will try it.

• Posted

Do you get little spots on your scalp? My itching on my scalp started last year and I keep getting little spots/scabs 😞

• Posted

Hello, 

Mirena coil is considered HRT or birth control pill?

How long have you been on it?

I am unemployed due to severe unbearable peri symptoms...I can feel you

• Posted

I guess Mirena is both. Many younger females use it as birth control but it was suggested to me for heavy periods and it stopped my periods totally in 5 months. I do wonder if that’s contributing to the itching- not having periods when my body still wants to- and I’d go back to heavy periods to get rid of the itching. 
  • Posted

I too had a terrible rash on eyelids it looked like it was burnt ? I tried everything but didn’t go away so I just made sure I put nothing near my face . Eliminate all products and see if that helps . Maybe a salt or epsom salt bath would alleviate the symptoms . 
    • Posted

Yes I can see inflammation on my upper eyelids - like a ring of red/pink at the edge of my eye socket. I’ve removed all skincare products for weeks but am struggling to remove all hair products. I use only natural shampoos etc but if there is something in those I still react to I’d have to stop washing my hair- but may be worth a try.
    • Posted

I replied to this post but didnt have itchy skin then boom ! Up most of the night scratching?  I had shrimp and wondered with all this weird meno stuff if I’m allergic now . Even my fingers are itchy ! 
    • Posted

Weird that you should say that. Hubby made a comment on Saturday that he thought I’d developed a pollen allergy for the first time as I’d been sneezing a bit, watery eyes and runny nose usually first thing in the morning when I go outside. I looked up pollen allergy and happened to see that a lot of them are cross linked to food allergies- veg, fruit and spices and herbs that share the same pollen family. It just happens I’m eating daily some of the foods mentioned so as well as the elimination diet I’ve taken out the veg and fruit I was eating. It means I’m just eating plain rice and water for the next 4 days but if it works I don’t mind. I’ve itched less today for sure but have had good days before. So I’m still not discounting perimenopausal as I’ve found lots of ladies who would say it is but I’m exploring the food and pollen link for the next few days whilst I finish the elimination diet. Then I’ll put back the main food groups one by one and lastly the veg and fruit I’ve just taken out. I’ve never had a pollen allergy before so looks like perimenopause is responsible for that at least.  Shellfish is one of the common food groups adults become allergic to but I don’t know if it’s all shellfish or just certain types? Try cutting it out for a couple of weeks then try it again?
  • Posted

Hello Angie,

I also started getting itchy eyelids around the menopause time and for about 2 years my eyes, neck and chest were an absolute nightmare.  It would come and go but it was always simmering under the skin. My doctor told me to only use Clinique on my face and it definitely helped in that it did not agrevate it.  I also found a product called Gladskin which I bought on line as I had watched a BBC documentary on eczema. That did give some relief but not a cure.  I went to see a dermatologist and she couldn’t find anything wrong with my skin.  I then realised that not only was my skin flaring up but I was getting really bad hangovers even after just one glass of wine.  Just over a year ago I gave up alcohol to see if it made a difference and touch wood I have had no flare ups.  This may not be a cure for you but you could be taking something that your body is intolerant to and the only way out is through your skin. I think if you have a look online and research how your liver acts during the menopause it might help. Deirdre D

• Posted

hi ladies. I'm 10 years post meno and the prickly itching started for me a few years ago. I'm 58. I didn't have many symptoms except for hot flashes and hair loss right after meno, but 5 years ago everything kicked in. so many weird symptoms. The itching is actually worse now. liver and kidneys are fine. blood work great. deduction is hormones. nothing alleviates it. what we women go through.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.