Itchy skin on face and scalp

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’ve had this condition for over 5 months. I had some damaged skin on my face which I believe triggered whatever this is.  At the start I was just itching around my eyes and lots of moisturiser stopped it. Now the itching has expanded to my ears, scalp, cheeks, around and inside my nose, around my mouth, hairline.  My GPs have tried lots of different creams and lotions, plus a short course of antifungals and a short course of antibiotics. Nothing has worked and it keeps spreading. For the last few days I also have watery eyes, runny nose etc like an allergy. I’ve tried a complete food elimination diet but nothing. I have a 3rd derm appointment on 12th July and will be asking him to look at a range of conditions from food/pollen allergy to rosacea to fungal infections to perimenopause.  I need help- the itching is 24/7 and is disrupting my life. I go home from work most days and cry as I’m so exhausted from trying to deal with it. Anyone had anything similar?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have unusual seasonal itches that can last 1 or 2 months and then disappear , could you have the same ,just longer ?

I cannot figure out what triggers them and what ends them.

• Posted

Maybe. When do yours start and finish? I’m also looking at antihistamine withdrawal. Lots of cases about people using long term or high doses of antihistamine particularly cetirizine and having itching from trying to stop that lasts for weeks or months. For many it comes when seasonal allergies go away and they try to stop taking them. I’ve been taking three a day for months with the odd day off here and there. I stopped all of them yesterday to see what happens. As I don’t get much of an improvement from taking them (doing so at Doctors advice) if I don’t get withdrawal symptoms I shouldn’t notice much difference but if that’s what I’ve been getting the itching will get much worse within a few days. Worth a try! 
    • Posted

Fits in with grass pollen season in May to July but not sure of Oct and Nov.  I’ve never had seasonal allergies before so really not sure what’s going on!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.