Itchy type of Granuloma Annulare

Posted , 19 users are following.

I had the most severe itching for almost 2 months before my primary Dr. thought I had scabies and I went through treatment for it. You can still itch after treatment which I was. The dermatologist report from biopsy came back saying I had GA. I thought perhaps I had both that and the scabies. When I broke out it was all over my body from scratching, except my face and not much on my back. It was like bites going down a line. The only thing that stops the itching is prednisone pills. I had almost lowered the dose to the point of stopping but then I had a flare up in itching, but my itching has only resulted in a few bumps. The rest are going away.

I am wondering if anyone else has had the itching variety or a similar story with possibly scabies involved. Also my dermatologist wants me to take potassium iodide as the cure which I am concerned about doing because I have a hypothyroid condition. Has any one ever done that treatment?

Thanks and I hope you all heal quickly!

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Update Since My Post 4 Months Ago

I have been clear from the. "itchy GA" for about 4 months. I take one Estroven in the morning, one Zyrtec (H1 inhibitor) in the morning and one Zantac (H2 inhibitor) in the morning. I use the Elidel cream (prescription only) twice daily, and wear Jobst knee-high stockings (if I'm wearing closed toe shoes). If I start to feel a flare up (tingly, itchy feeling to shins), I'm able to avoid it by increasing the Zyrtec for a couple days. I do go back and forth between generic and brand name. I copied my original post below since it was under a different thread.

Sincerely, Renee

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/what-s-do-we-all-have-informed-common-619051?page=0#2919703

• Posted

Stephanie, this is very interesting.  I have been gluten free since 2012 due to gut issues. Then 2 years ago they thought I had add Lyme disease, but only one of the blood tests pointed to it, not all of them. So treated with strong antibiotics, no effect on the skin lesions. Eventually cleared up. Then last fall I went to my dermatologist as I had circular lesions under my arms and on my thighs. Biopsy said GA, now 6 months later they are spreading some. Seem to flare and dissapate for no reason. I really am curious about all the similarities in these GA cases. 
  • Posted

Just came across this forum trying to find something that helps. I'm in the throws of yet another flare-up! Glad i found others going through the same thing! My rash started several years ago on my side and hip. and when cortizone creams didnt do anything after weeks finally went to a dr. His diagnosis was a fungal infection and prescibed an antifungal cream....didnt help anything obviously. Tried different itch creams with no success. Finally went away after about 4 months but left my skin a bit discolored. Second flare up they tested for lyme disease - nope.. finally when it came back the third time i went to a dermatologist who did a biopsy and diagnosed generalized granuloma annular. I was given a steroid cream and it seemed to help it go away a bit sooner, but nothing for the itch! Glad to have a diagnosis but bummed that there is no "cure" or even a standard treatment that works! Mine has been coming back in pretty much the same areas but this time its also on my arm. Has anyone else had theirs appear in more places over the years?

• Posted

My GA is over my entire body. It is in  big patches the size of a saucer.   I have scratched it to the point of leaving dime size scabs. This is on my chest arms stomach back legs feet hands and even on my fanney. The legs it goes all around them. And the fanney ones make it very uncomfortable to use the toilet. I have started using my foot skin grinder on all of my body and it HELPS. The red colour stays but the grinder is taking them away. The GA has even gone down my tail bone. The grinder has helped me and the ONLY thing that’s helped. After I grind I put a thick coat of body cream on and have finally found relief. 
    • Posted

On your fanny too - what a bummer! Did you have GA all over your body from the initial onset or has it manifested in more places with each flare-up?
    • Posted

No the beginning was the normal rings. The second came in big bumps like a pimple in huge patches covering my body. I had Dr do a path check and it was GA. you scratch these bumps when they itch and it burns. So that is when I started slowly buffing them off. IT WORKS. NO ITCH AND NO PAIN. The red is still there but the bumps ARE NOT😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.