Itchy vulva - what is it

Posted , 6 users are following.

For the past 18 months I have had an extremely itchy vulva - it is itchy around the vagina, the inner and outer labia, and the clitoris, perineum and sometimes the folds at top of the thigh and anus. Sex is not painful (though I'm itchier afterwards). It is definitely not a yeast infection, or BV, as I've been tested several times for those. The skin is red around inner labia, but there is no rash or anything really to see. I use sensitive washing liquid, and wear 100% cotton knickers. For a year I wore no knickers at all, and it did no good. I have tried clobaderm (steroid), hydrocortesone, coconut oil, vaseline, tee tree oil, nappy rash cream, bicarb baths, dettol baths, apple vinegar baths, emu oil, changed toilet tissue: I haven't used bubble bath or shower gel for over a year, I wash my hair in the sink; and nothing has made the itch improve even slightly. I thought about LS, but there are no white patches, and no fusing. Has anybody got any suggestions? Seen several doctors, who don't know what it is. Any thoughts really appreciated. I am at the end of my tether.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You might go to a dermatologist. Have you been checked for vaginal atrophy.?
  • Posted

Hiya, check your meds, I have just realised after 3 yrs that painkillers (almost all of them) give me virtually the same symptoms as yours.  I only have to take two paracetamol and it all kicks off.
  • Posted

LS is not always white patches. Mine wasn't when diagnosed 18 months ago by biopsy. I still don't get many of the symptoms. I do get the odd itch, have some fusing of one side labia minora and the odd time a get red around the opening, my dermatologist says that if I hadn't had the biopsy then she wouldn't have classified me as an LS sufferer. She would have out it down to atrophy with age, might be worth having a biopsy? 

Ps when I went for my biopsy I was complaining of an itch in the bartholian gland area on one side, when they put the iodine/vinegar solution on that area did not show up with any changes but three other areas did (non of which I had complained about - left labia minora, perianal and towards my left leg. The biopsy results showed LS in labia minora and changes in other two areas but not yet diagnosed those areas as LS. They always ignored my complaints of an itch on the bartholian area on the right. Eventually Dermatologist said it must be vulvodynia. I wasn't convinced. Funnily enough I had to have a pelvic CT scan for something else and low and behold in the report it said I have a small batholian gland cyst!

good luck!

• Posted

Have you been tested for Trich Vag? This can cause excruciating itching. Did you change your sexual partner 18 months ago?    Samantha is right. LS is not always white patches.               
  • Posted

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate you taking the time to post. Yes, I've been tested for trich vag. I'm waiting for an appointment with a dermatologist, so hopefully they can biopsy for LS, and then at least I'll know what it is I've got! I take fluoxetine (prozac) but have never had problems with that before, and I don't think itching is a side effect of that?? Same sexual partner for 10 years, and we use condoms, so don't think it's an std.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.