Items I need for post THR (raised toilet seat, crutches etc): does the hospital provide them or do t

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi all, my LTHR is fast approaching and I've done no preparation at all! Can You clarify one or two things please.

Does the hospital provide the post THR surfer items to be used imputing the recovery period, or is it my responsibility to buy these items myself? What items does the hospital provide, and what are the essential items that I need to buy myself? The heavier items that the hospital provides, do they send them to me before the operation or do I take everything with me when I leave the hospital post operation?

Thx, Harry

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Since I am a military veteran and this is a service connected disability I had my surgery done in a veteran's hospital and they paid for everything. They had a physical therapist and a nurse come to my house twice a week and made sure I had everything I needed at home before I even had the surgery. It has been a good experience.
    • Posted

Thanks Chris, and good for you! I wish I was a military veteran! But thanks to the good people on this forum I am getting there. I think I know what to do and what to get before the big day. Cheers, Harry
  • Posted

Hi Harry I bought the hi rise toliet seat my insurance would only cover a commode and I don't have the room for one but at the hospital they gave me one to use so I could have brought that one home . Buy a grabber it is essential I still at six weeks keep dropping everything and not suppose to bend Dow ward so it helps even getting clothes out if washed rand dryer. I bought my cane and borrowed a walker from a friend only used walked first week using nothing around the house but use cane wherever I go for security take are you will e do glad you had it done I put off for years and dealt with the pain because I was scared of surgery but I already know this was the only thing that kept me out if a wheelchair . Best of luck to you
    • Posted

Thank you Senira for the info. It all went into my ever growing spreadsheet. Harry
  • Posted

Harry,

It does depend a bit on where you are located in the world. If you look at my website, you'll get an idea of what the UK NHS provides, but this varies between counties and hospitals.

You can find the website address in my personal info at

https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025

and in the moderators thread at

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

and in the graphic below.

Also lots of other questions answered in there by people on this forum.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Harry - if you are in Queensland Australia, you are on your own.

Occupational therapy comes and sees to your home. In my case, gave me a list of what I would need, over toilet chair with handles to help push yourself upright, adjusted to right height, over bath seat/board, take down shower screen as not enough room for chair and shower screen, we had a camping shower setup that I was able to use on fine days, chair raisers to get lounge room chairs to right height. Bed OK.

You do get given crutches and a stick with a cup hook on the end, very useful for putting on clothes, post THR.

• Posted

If you are in NSW, Australia, you get nothing (at least I didn't). They didn't even give me crutches; I had to limp out to the taxi stand on my own carrying my heavy bag. I was not advised about furniture heights, or even the toilet. In fact, they didn't even give me a toilet raiser in my hospital room. I also had no OT visits. The only things I bought after my discharge were a plastic seat for the shower and non-slip mats for the bathroom and kitchen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.