Its been 3 months

Posted , 7 users are following.

since my last drink. I decided it was time to quit smoking as well and now am on Champix... well not going so great been on it for almost 3 weeks, still smoking and feel like crap. I just want to sleep 

I now wonder if I am trying to soon after giving up alcohol ;(

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Think u should tackle 1 thing at a time. Good luck.
  • Posted

Well done for ditching the drink, your body's got a lot of adjusting to do,maybe it is too early to quit the cigs too? If you want to try maybe cut down gradually?
  • Posted

Hi sue08 - any addiction counsellor will tell you - dont try and make any other major life  changing decisions in early recovery- you have enough to deal with - concentrate on giving up alcohol- you can try and kick the cigs any time in the future - for now you may find they are a useful tool in helping you to stay off the alcohol- i certainly did- and still do - but i never tried to quit to be honest- but i did smoke an awful lot in early recovery- i was in a treatment centre and out of twenty two people on the program only 2 didnt smoke and one of them started after about three weeks into the program- get used to not drinking then tackle the cigs if you want to - best of luck -
    • Posted

lol It was an addiction counsellor who told me to try to quit smoking.

What you say makes more sense though

• Posted

i'm really suprised to hear that i was in three different treatment centers (slow learner) and it was something we were told in all three those of us that smoked-not to try both till we were a good few months into recovery-anyway whatever you decide i hope it works out for you -best of luck -
    • Posted

Thank you

Just feel very fustrated with it, and for me I know where that can lead if I am not careful, I would much rather smoke than drink smile

• Posted

Hi sue well done on quitting drinking. Can I just ask how are you doing? Does it feel strange not drinking? What made you decide no drink rather than say 2 drinks? Thanks, sorry for all the questions lol
    • Posted

I am doing well thank you, at times it does feel strange not to drink. I would drink to unwind, to celebrate lol any reason but all on my own.

I could not have just a couple it would be a 1.5 liter of wine almost every day if not more. At first I found it hard ( I didnt know what to do with out it) Now I just drink alot of water.

Hey if helps anyone just ask away. I am more than happy to answer any questions smile

• Posted

It's possible that you shouldn't have tried to do both at once, but don't focus on your lack of success with the smoking, focus on the massive success with alcohol and congratulate yourself. Well done! smile
  • Posted

Fantastic achievement Sue. You must feel great having kicked the drink. I took champix to quit smoking and found them good but still wasn't easy. As others have said it's maybe a bit soon. An interesting thing about champix though was that I found it significantly decreased my drinking. I just didn't get the "buzz" or the high from drink. Wonder if anyone else has found the same.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.