Its been a week and the pain from the cyst drainage is still horrible. please help?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had Bartholin cyst in march of this year, went to urgent care to drain it and they had inserted catheter which fell out within few days. I was in bed rest for three days and was normal within three weeks or so.

Well now 7 months later, the cyst came back this time i went to urgent care right away and the cyst wasn't too big like last time. The procedure itself wasn't too painful like the first time but it seems like the healing process is very slow. I went to my obgyn to f/u and she tucked in the cather now its more uncomfortable. And i have to keep the cather for at least 5-6 weeks as i was told by my doc.

The prescribed me antibioticcs to take 4 times a day, hydrocodone for pain. I am so tired of taking of so many pills a day and can't be on the pain killer while at work. At my job I'm sitting 95% of the time and its so uncomfortable to sit and im in so much pain still. I do the sitz bath when i'm at home,  when at work there is nothing i can do.

Any advice? Any helpful tips would help..

Thank you.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Could you ask your ob/gyn to marsupialize it?  I had the entire gland remove but it's pretty rare that ob-gyns suggest excision after just 1-2 abscesses.  Or could you just ask your doctor about how to treat it without the word catheter?  
    • Posted

I will ask the doctor when I go back in few weeks. How many cyst did you have before you had the entire gland removed?

I don't think there is any other way besides the cather so I have been told by diff doctors.

• Posted

I had only one cyst, when I was 25.  25 years later the gland enlarged but there was no abscess.  Removal was recommended because of the chance (a very remote one) of it being cancerous.  I had it done by a urogynecologist.  And consulted with 4 other doctors.  It is minor surgery but technically challenging.  Hopefully the word catheter will work for you.
  • Posted

This same pain happened to me when I got mine drained and the pain for me was actually the catheter rubbing on my labia minora and it actually created another little suture/ hole. My nurse practitioner suggested wrapping a non stick piece of gauze around the catheter or on the new little wound (which was created from the rubbing of the catheter like I said). This helped A TON. All of the pain pretty much disappeared. I no longer took the hydros I was prescribed (but you should always continue taking the antiobiotic even if you feel better if you stop it could lead to a super infection). She also gave me some antibacterial cream to put on my incision which i put on there then covered with a small piece of the non stick gauze that I cut. Also, I never tucked in the catheter it was too uncomfortable. I just left if hanging anf it was fine with the gauze. It also helped to apply a heating pad to the area when I was sleeping and at home. You should try to keep the catheter in as long as possible bc you won't have problems if a new duct/ pathway is created. I would really discourage the removal of the gland since it has consequences to your sex life later on. Just be gentle with the catheter and if the pain is too bad you could even buy some lidocaine cream to rub on the site. I am so sorry you are going through this. I hope this helps!
    • Posted

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and for the helpful tips. I am almost done with my antibiotics, I will try the heating pad and maybe the lidocaine cream if the pain gets worst.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.