Its like doctors have no clue....

Posted , 11 users are following.

They all seem to think that your throat and lymph nodes HAVE to be involved. That this can go on longer than just a few weeks. It is like they only know the text book mono symptoms and that is it. Went to the ER last night after falling asleep for two hours and waking up with sweats and a rapid heart rate. They ran blood tests and checked my heart. My calcium levels are his so that is something I need to discuss with my regular physician but the ER doctor made it sound like all of my symptoms must be something other than mono and was shocked when I told him I never presented with "normal" symptoms. He said my weight loss and loss of appetite aren't normal if my throat isn't involved. That 8 weeks is too long. So now I am freaking out and once again heading to my regular doctor today. Did anyone else have sleep where you could only sleep for a couple of hours and awoke sweating with a racing heart rate? This has been going for a week. 

2 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all...im now into week 13 since I've been diagnosed with glandular fever. I've been to see my GP 3 times in the last 6 weeks and have been told I'm suffering from post viral fatigue/post viral EBV. Then told to rest, drink plenty of fluids etc and see how I feel in two weeks time. I've been through all the initial GF symptoms in the first 4 weeks of sore throat, swelling in my eyes and general feeling of unwell. I'm now suffering from what feels like constant pressure on my head, which has made me feel spaced out, dizzy and sometimes feel sick. It has probably eased other the last two months butni is still there. The afternoons is when I seem to suffer from fatigue. It will hit me and make me feel very spaced out and legs turn to jelly. This also seems to bebgradually getting better in a zig zag pattern. All very frustrating as I would like to get on back with my normal life...at least be well enough to go back to work.

• Posted

I feel you so much. I too get spaced out. Especially in the evening. Light headed. I always chalk it up to too much time spent sitting or laying in bed. I just don't know anymore sad

• Posted

I'm not sure what is setting it off. I've also been spending time watching TV. Try to go for at least one walk a day...about 3k steps. I'm not sure if this is accurate, but it feels like it is in tune with my own body clock. Usually between 12 and 4pm I am generally less active...more of a morning person. Around bout 7pm onwards I seem to be fine again and could quite easily stay up...but make sure I go to sleep around 10pm (now that I can sleep....albeit not as easy as I use to, with all this on my mind). My next visit to the doctors, I'm making sure I see one of the regular doctors down there and not a locum which I have been seeing the last few times. Not sure if it will make any difference, but just telling me to come back in two weeks is getting me down, when in reality two weeks I don't feel much better. Maybe one symptom has eased but another one has appeared. Wishing you all the best with your recovery

• Posted

Well because of the Ativan I ended up getting some sleep again last night but am feeling pretty bad today. My doctor is running a TON of tests and thinks this may be more than mono. Thinks I may have hyperthyroidism. Or a myriad of other things. I am still dealing with a loss of appetite and it scares me that this may be more than the mono. Yesterday I managed to eat. I can't eat as much because my stomach has shrunk but my digestive tract still is not happy. Mostly lots of gas these days. And my eyesight has gotten kind of bad. I am wondering if it from watching TV almost non stop for 8 weeks. So once again, I am waiting on test results. And doing my best to get through this.......

Hope everyone is feeling better. 

• Posted

And I have read that EBV can have adverse effects on your thyroid too sad What does this virus not touch? 
    • Posted

Yeah, it's probably easier for me to list the parts of my body it hasn't attacked. I know we wouldn't be on here, but be careful what you read. Dr Google usually gives the wrong diagnosis and unnecessary worry smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.