Its started paining more after 24 hours

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had fibula bome broken day before yesterday(Friday). Because its weekend i need to wait till monday to consult orthopedic surgeon for surgery or normal casting. Urgent care has put splint on it and suggested me to take painkillers. I have bit sweeling near ankle. I have kept my leg elevated. But now sunday morning its started hurting more. Please suggest me what to do. I am bit worried what if it gets worst before seeing soctor.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

About 15 years ago, I broke my fibula and had to wait a couple of days to have a full cast applied.  I had (and always will have) swelling in my ankle.  The cast was on for

six weeks, no pain whatsoever.  When the cast was removed, I needed physical therapy (2 sessions), after which I realized I could do the exercises at home. (Just needed to stretch out a tendon which atrophied while in the cast).  I suspect your pain is from the bone break not being aligned.  Keep your leg up for sure. 

Have you taken Alleve to get you through the weekend? 

• Posted

First 24 hrs it was ok but now its bit paining. From xray, fibula bone is not misaligned.
    • Posted

I m going to visit orthopedic surgeon tomorrow. Lets see what he says. I m taking ibuprofen and Tylenol 
  • Posted

I am not a doctor, and you know if it becomes so bad that you should return to urgent care, but my experience is that broken ankles hurt like hell, swell like crazy and bruise A LOT.  My pain increased overnight for sure as the swelling grew.  I had to wait 2 days for surgery and took ibuprofen on a regular schedule.  It helps if you stay ahead of the pain and take it regularly.  My brother's experience with a broken ankle was almost unbearable pain and he needed harder stuff (T3s with codeine)  to get through the early days.  Elevation, ice, drugs, swearing (haha) will all help until you get taken care of.  And definitely return to urgent care if you are not able to manage pain or sleep a wink.  Good luck!!!!

• Posted

Is your splint wrapped in an ace-type bandage? (The stretchy kind). If so, you can unwrap the ace and rewrap more loosely - that's if it's the leg swelling that is causing your pain. I suffered for hours the night of my break when I got home from the ER...called them back and they said to do that. Duh, it might have been common sense, but I didn't know! Good luck, hang in there!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.