its working!? Update.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone! how you all doing? Hope your all good and hanging in there.

I just wanted to give update on my sertaline experience.

Sorry not been on here for a few weeks, minds been somewhere else, (nothing new there)

Anyways, just wanted to let you know how its going with me.

For you guys that didn't know, i started sert about 8 weeks ago, i was taking 50mg for about a week, then upped it to 100mg for about 2 weeks, then 150mg for the last 4 weeks. I had bad depression anxiety attacks, general anxiety, not wanting to go out or do anything much, speak to or see anyone.

Anyways, started on the sert for this, and had pretty much every side effect there is with it, runs,(yuk!) headaches, insomnia, jaw clenching, nausea, dizziness, drained of energy, was a bit like a zombie for a while, increased appetite, then loss of appetite, bouts of increased anxiety, trembling hands and shaky, loss of libido (as well as a few other things not working in that department) wont go into detail on that, you know what i mean tho!

Anyway!! Whats really inportaint is! Into week 8 now, and for the last 4 days ive suddenly realized that im feeling better! WOW! It wasn't an over night thing, it just slowly dawned on me, like, Hay! things aint so bad! kinda feeling, just not as stressed about my situation, not having as many intrusive upsetting thoughts, and when i do, im discarding them quite easily. Feeling more positive and stronger within myself, like im becoming more back in control of myself. and im feeling more comfortable and sure of myself again. Its only been the last week that i have noticed this, and im still having the odd bad day where im more down and struggle a bit, still don't really want to go out or face the world, but i am feeling a great improvement, so still got a way to go, far from fixed, lol, but it seams to be working.

Next big thing is, All the horrific side effects have pretty much gone, still a bit groggy at certain times of the day, and still having vivid dreams ( not necessarily bad ones tho) still don't want to go out, (God bless Tesco delivery service!)

Started sleeping better, although i still wake every hour or so, im getting about 6 hours sleep rather than 2. but that's about it for the side effect, they have pretty much gone (touch wood) Also, i don't want to go into it to much, as this isnt the place for this kinda thing, but feel it may help, the libido side of things is getting slightly better too, slowly coming back, and things starting to work again.

Anyway enough about that, i just wanted to share my experience so far, and hope that it might help someone else, who maybe worried about some of these side effects and issues, as i was. For me anyway, the sertaline seems to be starting to work, and physically side effects are slowly going away, so hang in there, i know everyone is different on sertaline, but there is hope, as i said before im not back to myself yet, but really feel better than i did, and starting to see that light at the end of the tunnel.

Also thank you to all you guys on here, for all your advice and support, you have all helped me with this, as much as the sertaline has. Its good to talk!

Let me know how you all are, and ill keep you updated if anything changes with me.

Lots of love to you all G x

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Love reading posts like this on here I’ve been on sert 50mg for 2weeks I had a few side effects but past 3dats they have gone and I’ve felt kind of ok I’m taking nytol at night to help sleep still feel

A little dazed etc tired I can’t wait to feel the full benefit glad your doing well G xxxx

• Posted

Wow what. A lovely message. I’m 4 weeks in now (upped to 100 mg Thursday) and I’m feeling bad: nauseated and the anxiety is through the roof. 

Did you also have increased anxiety upon upping your doses? X

• Posted

Sert seems to exaggerate your original symptoms and throw in some pretty gruesome side effects as well ( not with everyone but it did with me)

I was perscibed it for anxiety, panic attacks and burn out.

To be honest at 25mg/ 50mg I felt awful. On the floor if I lifted a finger. On the floor after a bath or shower. Couldn't go out and lay sweating on the bed for 4 days without putting the tv on.

I had continuous palpitations and thought I would never get over it

I steadily increased my dose by 25mg and began to feel a bit better. By 100mg I was able to drive but not good at getting out of the car when I reached my destination.

I am now on 150mg and Wow...what a difference. I'm not 100% but I'm back at work after being off for 8 months. Sertraline is very slow working and it doesn't work for everyone but it has for me.

The advice I would give is ..

1. Take meds same time every day

2. Don't mess with dosage

3. Only increase in 25mg stages

4. Drink loads of water

5. Cut down on coffee

6. Try to eat

7. Watch some good comedy..vicar of Dibley and Absolutely Fabulous saved my sanity...laughing is good for you

8. Keep posting and reading on here.

9. Important one is practice deep breathing...fantastic to stop a panic attack in its tracks!

10. If you feel dizzy and light headed and de- personalised put an elastic band on your wrist and twang it when you need to to let yourself know you are real lol

Anxiety is a terrible illness and I personally was in denial for a long time...until the panic attacks started.

There is light at the end of the tunnel.

In answer to your question side effects do come back with increases and decreases ..I felt like I didn't know whether to go up or down. I'm so glad I carried on.

Good luck

🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄

• Posted

hi there. Yeah i did, going from 50mg to 100mg, and again but a little less going from the 100mg to 150mg. but it did pass, and wasn't everyday, i think, once your system gets adjusted to the sertaline, things and the side effects seem to even out and calm down, at one point as soon as one side effect would subside with me another strange and bizarre one would appear! it was becoming almost comical, thought it would never end, but it has, just hope it stays that way, do feel like ive been through the worst of it tho, and things are back on the way up. fingers crossed.

• Posted

Lovely to read Gorden. It's nice to see there is light at the end of the tunnel. You soon be going out again, even if it is out the back garden for two minutes. Keep going you are doing well.

• Posted

Thank you Sarah, that helps. Its weird, before the depression and anxiety really kicked in i was out all the time, socializing visiting friends etc, now i just want to stay home, lol, which is kinda nice too, its not really that im scared to go out, i kinda just don't want to see or talk to anyone, or have to interact with anyone, if you know what i mean, my doctor says that's just part of the depression, and im ok with it, but i must admit its strange not talking to anyone for weeks on end lol, bit odd! lol, i do put the bin out once a week, so that's always a wee day out for me to look forward to! lol

But anyways, im getting and feeling better, and thank you for your kind words. All the best G x

• Posted

P.S one good thing about not wanting to go out tho is, Ive saved a fortune and finally payed off the credit card! lol, so its true, every cloud has a silver lining, if i hadn't developed anxiety and depression, i would still be in dept! lol, so its maybe one of the best things that has happened to me. Thanks depression! smile also bought a new tv Netflix and agoraphobia Awesome combo! lol

• Posted

Hey Gordon. Glad to hear it’s going well. I’ve been on sert for around a year now, 150mg, and pretty much back to normal. Sure I get days when I feel down but I’ve realised this is part of life and to be expected! 

The anxiety still lingers when I’m not kept busy but at a very low level so doesn’t affect me too much. 

For all those just starting on sert, hang in there, the good times will definitely come 100% , just be patient. 

• Posted

Thanks. yeah thats becoming the same as yourself with my anxiety, getting more manageable, still get intrusive thoughts, but finding it easier to push them to one side, if that makes any sense, lol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.