IUD Non-hormonal Copper Coil Side Effects?

Posted , 54 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm 34, no children, had a T-Safe copper coil fitted about 7 months ago after taking COC for almost 6 years (Dianette, Cerazette, Yasmin). I had no problem with the coil, just slight discomfort and spotting after insertion and heavier and longer periods which doesn't bother me, at least they are regular. What bothers me is how I feel 1-2 weeks before the period: uncontrollable mood swings, anxiety, panic attacks, low sex drive, sleeplessness. I was told that having the non-hormonal coil means you have none of those symptoms but mine seem to get worse.

I'm not sure if it's the coil or something else, but I'm not happy and not sure how to control the symptoms. GP has been unhelpful, I'm not sure who else ask for advice sad

Please help, any advice will be much appreciated.

1 like, 75 replies

75 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

OMG ladies you are a blessing!

I am 31 years old and I hade the IUD inserted 9 months ago and it is driving me crazy.

For the 1st 5 months I used to have a 15 days long period with bleeding for 3 more days in between.

Headaches and backaches are killing me

Mood swings and depression

Also low sex drive

I feel bloated and I gained about 2kgs and I can't loose any wait no matter what.

I have food cravings and I eat a lot since I always feel stressed.

I have just talked with my husband tonight that I want to visit my dr to get it removed and discuss other birth control options.

How come no researches ever found out about these side effects and how common it is?!!!

Thanks so much for each and every one of you for sharing this.

You made me feel normal again!

• Edited

This discussion is an absolute lifesaver.

I have been feeling so down that I could cry right now writing this out. I thought there was something wrong with ME because I had all these different symptoms and I honestly did not know they were connected and what was causing them.

All the replies I have read makes so much sense and it is very clear that the copper coil does cause many varied side effects.

I have experienced the following ( this is when my coil was in)

Bleeding between periods

Increase in discharge (having to wear panty liners daily)

Bloody discharge

Stomach cramps

Nausea

Mood swings

Tiredness

Hair loss

Low/no sex drive

Bloating

Cannot loose weight (no matter what I do)

I have experienced the following symptoms (this is after my coil was removed)

Very violent mood swing (this was three days after I had it removed which was on top of my first period)

Nausea

Hair loss

Spotting skin

Depression

No interest in daily activities

Tiredness

Tummy ache

Crying

Sleepy during day

Sore breast (one side only and alway same side)

Anxiety

Low/no sex drive

Bloating

Over sensitivity

Fatigue

Cannot loose weight

I truly wish that health professionals would advise women more clearly on the symptoms when choosing to have a coil.

It really is not fair I have spent the last year thinking that it was me and that I was a horrible person or their even worse there was something seriously wrong with me, when all the time it was this hidden device that I chose to put into my body.

I really hope that my hair was stop falling out now because this was really worrying me.

Good luck ladies and I wish you all the very best.

• Posted

Hi Oceanscience,

I think that since you removed the IUD, and you have all the same symptoms, what you might be experiencing is PCOS. The symptoms sound very similar especially the spotty skin. Or thyroid issues.

You may want to incorporate activated charcoal supplements for awhile and take vitamin C to cleanse your body of the copper residual. I have a strong inclination to think that it might be poly cystic ovarian syndrome. ;-)

• Posted

This discussion is an absolute lifesaver.

I have been feeling so down that I could cry right now writing this out. I thought there was something wrong with ME because I had all these different symptoms and I honestly did not know they were connected and what was causing them.

All the replies I have read makes so much sense and it is very clear that the copper coil does cause many varied side effects.

I have experienced the following ( this is when my coil was in)

Bleeding between periods

Increase in discharge (having to wear panty liners daily)

Bloody discharge

Stomach cramps

Nausea

Mood swings

Tiredness

Hair loss

Low/no sex drive

Bloating

Cannot loose weight (no matter what I do)

I have experienced the following symptoms (this is after my coil was removed)

Very violent mood swing (this was three days after I had it removed which was on top of my first period)

Nausea

Hair loss

Spotting skin

Depression

No interest in daily activities

Tiredness

Tummy ache

Crying

Sleepy during day

Sore breast (one side only and alway same side)

Anxiety

Low/no sex drive

Bloating

Over sensitivity

Fatigue

Cannot loose weight

I truly wish that health professionals would advise women more clearly on the symptoms when choosing to have a coil.

It really is not fair I have spent the last year thinking that it was me and that I was a horrible person or their even worse there was something seriously wrong with me, when all the time it was this hidden device that I chose to put into my body.

I really hope that my hair was stop falling out now because this was really worrying me.

Good luck ladies and I wish you all the very best.

• Posted

Hi Ladies.

So glad I have found this chat.

I've only had the copper coil for just over a week now and I've already notice symptoms. Much like yourself I wanted the copper coil as it was hormoneless. I have a benign tumour that flares up when too much hormones are released so thought that this would be perfect.

I had my baby girl 4 months ago, and I know hair loss is very common after pregnancy, however since the insertion of the coil I have noticed I'm losing a lot more hair, especially in shower. Today I bought after pregnancy hair and skin vitamins in hopes this will help me out as the copper coil is my only option (other than condoms) but after reading all your comments I'm not sure if anything is going to help.

I want to wait it out a month but I'm very worried about the hair loss which is only going to cause more to fall out.

Find it very strange health professions failed to make everyone aware of side effects such as this.

Em x

• Posted

Hi Emma

I just want to find out, did your symptoms improve?  I have had the copper T in for just over a week and though I didn't have any hairloss issues, my mood is so low and I have constant cramping and nausea.  So I just want to know if it gets better.

• Posted

I have just come across this thread. Im sitting here at my wits end because of how i feel with a copper iud. Im getting mone removed next tues. Have had it 9 months. It has completely changed me as a person.

I am always tired, im always on an emotional rollercoaster up and down, mainly down angry and weepy, no sex drive, bloated, cant lose weight just staying the same give or take afew lbs, sore head and fogginess all the time, nauseous, heavy periods the list goes on and on. Does it take long to get back to normal after its removed??

I feel so sorry for my husband and kids. Its like living with a demon for so long now.

• Posted

I had my Nova T380 put in, in March 2015 and taken out December 12th 2016. It's been 4ish weeks and im really suffering. Im absolutely so so depressed. Feel so down for no reason. Cant shake the depression off. To top it off the last 2 nights ive now got insomnia. Just cannot sleep. !!!

Been up since 11:30 and still awake. !

I read it takes a year to get back to normal, im only 4 weeks in 😱

Ive just been doctors and mentioned copper toxicity syndrome and had 4 blood tests done for copper levels, zinc levels, blood count, liver enzyme and thyroid check. Gotta wait 2 weeks for results.

• Posted

Hi! Yes I can't sleep! I am so tired all the time. It's terrible. Do you think it's down to copper coil?

• Posted

Hello! Finding posts like this helped me to come to the decision that I needed to take my copper coil out. It was such a relief! One particular night I was in so much agony with cramps and back pain that I couldn't sleep so I started to research.

I had the coil in for 8 months and over that 8 months I developed constant back problems in both my lower back and my upper back for which I had many trips to the osteopath for. I presumed it was because I was getting old (35) and had a bad posture. My partner and I even purchased a £400 matress!

My body would start to prepare for menstruation a week before and I had horrific bloating, mood swings, headaches and PAIN. Oh my, the pain. The soles of my feet would hurt so much at times and I started to get intense headaches and felt pressure in my head towards the end. When on my period it felt as though all the nerves in my back would become sensitised and it was completely debilitating. One weekend I was in London, I was in so much pain that I remember having a discussion with my partner about having my womb taken out!!!

Not once in that time did I think all the back problems and pain and swelling were down to the Copper coil! I have now had it removed. My period reduced from 7 days bleeding to 4 immediatley and the pressure in my head has stopped (also following acupucture and deep tissue massage). I know that all of this is NOT just a coincidence. I have never suffered with constant back pain in my life. Advice for anyone thinking of having it removed? Get it out if you are having problems! Be firm with your GP despite what they tell you. Mine didn't actually question it because I had it in for 8months and said it was quite common for people to experience serious back pain with it. I know some GP''s will deny all knowledge of side effects and copper toxicity.

Non hormonal? Nonsense. Every month I would have huge spots on my face and huge shifts in mood which made me question my sanity. My sex drive eventually dissapeared too and I found it hard to climax.it may not release copper into your body BUT if you research, medics actually don't know how the stupid thing properly prevents pregnancy. Makes you question how these things are legally prescribed and fitted. I am sure it works for some. I have decided to not use contraception because I had horrific experiences with the the implant too. Condoms it is. It's the best thing I can do for my body and my sanity. I have only had it out for 2 weeks and feel an instant feeling of relief. I will report back in a month or so.

• Posted

Hi, Sonia! We don't like condoms 😕 I don't know what to do. I still have it but will speak to GP in a week time because I get spotting between the periods. All tests are fine. Don't know what to think.

• Posted

Hey, I don't like them either but there was no chance I was going to continue with the pain. Nearly 6 weeks later and my sleep cycle has returned to normal and I have no more spots on my face! I have no more lower back pain but I can still feel that my body is trying to adjust to not having the coil. It has been painful to have sex also in certain positions since it was removed but seems to be getting better now. I didn't have massive bloating for this period and the pressure in my head has gone. What a relief. Never again!!!!

• Posted

Hi, Im so glad I came across this thread. I am slowly becoming obsessed with researching the Copper Coil and its side effects....

Im 39 years old and have 2 children. With my son, who is now 18 months old,  I suffered with Pre-natal depression - which luckily vanished as soon as I gave birth to him (he is so gorgeous smile

I tried the implants after I had my son, which in hindsight was a very silly decision as the hormones played havoc with me and again I started to feel those familiar low feelings I had felt during my pregancy. I got it taken out after around 4 months and instantly felt like myself again.

This is why last November I opted for the Copper Coil, as it was hormone free I thought I would be fine. WRONG.

Apart from the ridiculous amounts of constant discharge (especially around ovulation time), and the heaviest 7 day periods Ive ever encoutered (causing me to leak through my jeans - even when wearing both super tampon and pad) - it was the mood swings, PMT, tiredness and low sex drive that made me get it removed yesterday.

The PMT was so bad I have literally have felt like Ive wanted to divorce my husband and some days couldnt even muster the energy to get out of bed and get dressed. The PMT seemed to be lasting for about 7 or more days too, so throughout a month there was only a day or 2 when I felt ok and wasnt either bleeding heavily or wanting to kill somebody!

Ive been so tired, even after 9 hours solid sleep, and have no inclination to do any exercise which is so unusual for me as I have exercised all of my adult life.

SO I woke up one day this week and the realisation 'enough is enough' was overwhelming so out it came yesterday.

I think given my history Ive become more atuned to my body and the effects certain things have on it, I know for sure these symptoms, despite what the medical 'experts' say, were a direct result of my coil.

Like someone very wisely said previously on this forum, you know your body better than anyone. Trust your instincts!!!

• Posted

Hi Kelly, I am 43 and have spotting around evolution as well! Blood test is fine so see what scan will show. Interesting, thank you, Ladies, for your posts.

Have to say my drive is 0 😢 and big problem with my sleeping too.

• Posted

Well, yesterday had my ultrasound done. Everything is fine. Copper coil in place. So, what can cause spotting. Ovaries are clean. Must be coil. What else can it be?

Thank you all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.