IUD Non-hormonal Copper Coil Side Effects?

Posted , 54 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm 34, no children, had a T-Safe copper coil fitted about 7 months ago after taking COC for almost 6 years (Dianette, Cerazette, Yasmin). I had no problem with the coil, just slight discomfort and spotting after insertion and heavier and longer periods which doesn't bother me, at least they are regular. What bothers me is how I feel 1-2 weeks before the period: uncontrollable mood swings, anxiety, panic attacks, low sex drive, sleeplessness. I was told that having the non-hormonal coil means you have none of those symptoms but mine seem to get worse.

I'm not sure if it's the coil or something else, but I'm not happy and not sure how to control the symptoms. GP has been unhelpful, I'm not sure who else ask for advice sad

Please help, any advice will be much appreciated.

1 like, 75 replies

75 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I found this thread after losing a week (the last week has been a blurr where someone else took control over my body and mind) and 3 years of IUD copper coil. This time I haven't been able to control the terrible anger and panick which got worse and worse since I inserted the coil.

When I put it on it was so painful I thought I was gonna die, I was 34 and because I never had any pregnancy I thought the pain was normal and I didn't make a fuss about it. The tricky thing is that I had just started my relationship with my actual partner and everything was new so I thought that all the symptoms were just me and my bad temper.

I feel I passed the last 3 years trying to control a wild lion and when I failed to do so the explosion of anger have been totally insane. In the last years I felt more and more overwhelmed by the littlest event, more and more tired, incontenibile anger most of the time? of the month with the peak in 10 days previous to my period,depression, uncontrollable crying and hopelessness, 7to 10 days of solid bleeding (the first few months of coil I'd wake up in a blood bath, until I learned to get up during night), my mind is always in disaster mode, the pain got worse to the point that in the last few months I have to have painkillers in my bag all the time (I can't even stand for the pain), and lately I can't even sleep which is why I'm not able to control overwhelming feeling and panick which resulted in my last blow of anger.

I thought I was getting completely crazy, unable to take any decisions anymore, not able to withstand any change and just thinking the only option is to go on medication or to kill myself because it felt I am just getting worse with time. The quality of my life changed dramatically because I stopped and closed the door to anything who could upset me and lately everything and everyone does. Me and my partner are deciding to live separately because the situation is unbearable, and I am thinking that I won't be able to move out without medication, I feel there is something really wrong with me...

...and yesterday I came along this thread...and I want to cry because I nearly destroyed everything in my life...

When I decided to put on the coil I researched it and I never found any side effects a part from "heavy periods " but hey! I am a big girl and I can stand it... I've always been full of energy, always had 2 jobs at same time, wake up at 4 in the morning and run 20k before getting into work, now I work 3days a week and I feel wasted...

I Called my GP this morning and I'll have the coil out on Tuesday and then I'll try to put back the pieces together or what is left...

Thanks for this thread. :-)

• Posted

Betty95172

I'm getting my coil out in the morning... I'm almost giddy about it, feeling a sense of hope again. This thread is what solidified it for me. I also feel like parts of my life have crumbled in the last 2 1/2 years of having it in. I will definitely keep this group updated on what comes next for me after it's removed. I wish you the best with picking up the pieces. I hope you can also update us here as well. :-)

• Posted

Well well well!!! I took it out on Tuesday morning... I was terrified remembering how it had been to put it in...but nothing like that and the demon is gone!!! This morning, after 3 years I could play my violin again with joy and pleasure, I have hope, I am positive and even if my body really suffered I feel I am getting my energy back...every day a little more... I missed myself... And for the first time in 3 years I am so so happy and I don't want to cry!!!!

As soon as I have time I'll write a proper post listing all the symptoms...in these days I am thinking back to all the changes my body went through in these years of coil...

But thanks a lot to all the ladies who shared their experience in this thread...yous have been a blessing!

😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Posted

That is so wonderful to hear!! I got mine removed 7 days ago! 🎆🎆🤸🤸💃💃💃

All week for the first time in 2.5 years I don't wake up in pain!

I used to have back & hip pain all day and now I am 90% pain free. It feels so good.

My mood is so much more relaxed. My life is so busy, but the stress levels are so much lower. I feel like i can think more clearly & I'm more effective and efficient at work.

I enjoy the moment so much more.

Usually when I tried to work out I'd be in pain the whole time... Not this week. I felt so good during my workout! I am hopeful about losing the weight I gained with the coil in.

It's baffling to me 😳 how debilitating the coil had been on my body. I'm feeling like I'm in recovery mode.

I'm not sure if anyone has heard of ionic foot baths that detox metals from the body, but I'm going to try to find a place that does those to see if it helps more.

Thanks for the updates ?? and I'm so happy I found this forum. Thank you to the woman who asked the question and I started this thread. 🙏🙏🙏??????

• Posted

hi i have started to reach out to any lady effected by the copper iud i too had a horrific tale to tell , but the more women i met through this journey the more they touched my heart. i have started a petition to unite all our voices . i can not share on here but at the moment it has nearly 500 signatures . it is on change and it is called  requesting the full disclosure of all side effects caused by the paragard and mirena iud 
  • Posted

HI everyone, 

Just to give you some info from a husbands point of view. My wife had the copper coil fitted about 6 months ago and she just doesn’t seem like the same person. 

She has massive nodes swings and can’t see it so I never know how to approach her about anything as I don’t know what reaction I will get. 

We used to have sex a lot and now it has all but stopped and something that she never starts it is always me but I have given up trying as I can’t take the rejection if I’m honest. 

Her periods, which were always very light and short are now very heavy and last over 2 weeks. 

She has started to have really bad headaches over the past 6-8 weeks which she has been to the doctors about and there is nothing obvious. 

For me the main problems is the mood swings as I never know if I’m coming or going and I then effects everything in daily life so much. 

She is always tired and yes we have 3 kids but they all sleep pretty well. 

My question is how do I approach her about it as I really think it is the coil that is the problem? 

Thanks in advance. 

• Posted

Hi lawrence240710,

That is a tough one. I suffered from the same symptoms you mention your wife is experiencing. I had the copper IUD in for almost 3 yrs. In addition I also gained about 15 lbs slowly but could never drop the weight, and too much fatigue and body pain to workout. Mood swings were mostly depression and heightened anxiety causing emotional eating. Low libido. The lengthy heavy periods.

It has been 7 mo since I had it removed. Felt lighter and calm within a week. No more heavy depression and much much less anxiety. My periods were back to normal quick but unbearable back pain on last day of period, had to get a narc to help subside it. After 6 mo I was able to work out again, and losing weight. I feel like my body is still healing. I believe it was very traumatic for my womb space.

I was very aware of my body and changes in me but it never crossed my mind that the IUD was the cause until I realized the timeline of when it all started. I was so blessed to find this thread last August and set an appt right away to have it removed.

Perhaps you may want to start an honest conversation with your wife about this thread you found because you were curious about researching side effects... Come from an unconditional place, and understanding place letting her know (if she gets upset) that it's coming from a place of love for her. As a woman it's hard to hear "you've changed" in any form, because so often when hormones and mood swings come into play we don't feel understood by our masculine counterparts and thus self worth is a factor. So be gentle, understanding and honest.

🙏🏽 Blessings.

• Posted

Hi there, I remember reading all these stories before I had gotten my copper non-hormonal IUD, and want to provide my 2 cents to help future readers out.

I got my NH Paragard inserted in August of 2016. The insertion was painful-- but not blindingly so. I had a friend told me she passed out, another say it was more painful than getting her tattoo. I was uncomfortable, but the worst was not over. Around 6 hours later that night I experienced some of the worst bloating and cramping known to the female body. I was nearly paralyzed. At one point the pain brought me to tears it was so unbearable. The bloating pain maybe lasted 8 hours throughout the night, and finally I was able to drift off to sleep at 5am.

After that, I was pain-free, waiting for what my next period would bring, however. Which was of course, a second bout of that bloating and cramping. Not as painful, but certainly lasted longer-- the course of my period, which had now extended to 15 days. This was expected according to my gynecologist, but then my period became more irregular, and even longer. I blend the entire 30 day month of November. The cramping came with every PMS but was getting less severe and manageable with Ibuprofen. I was so bloated so many days out of the month that I looked like I'd gained weight when I remained the same # lbs. Don't invest in a lot of new sheets or underwear if you're about to get this inserted. I decided I'd give it a year since symptoms like these were supposed to reside around 6 months according to my gyno. The periods became a little more regular around the beginning of 2017, but they were still averaging at about 12 day long periods. And HEAVY. Like 5 days out of that nearly 2 week period, I am using super and super-plus tampons. I felt so weak from losing that much blood. This never changed for the following 5 months, and sure enough August 2017 came around and I decided the length of periods was just not worth it. Despite the failure, I do not regret my experience. There's nothing like the peace of mind that I am not pregnant!! I am glad I gave it a go, because there is a fairly nice chance it might work for you. I have always had very long periods -- as soon as I got it taken out they resided back to my usual, which is 5-6 days of bleeding--which might have been a contributing factor to my symptoms. My sister had a similar experience the first year, but has short/average length periods (2 days without IUD, 4 days with IUD) and her symptoms of awful cramping resided around the year mark so she has kept hers in. I encourage every person worried about unwanted pregnancy to really look into it. From what I had gathered, it's about a 50/50 chance it'll be a success, and those odds are pretty good in today's world of s**t birth control options.

• Posted

Hi i know this post is old. But i had a copper coil over a year ago and had that one for 4 years i managed to loose 2 stone so that side effect of not able to loose weight didnt effect me. However i did get these side effects listed that i didnt even think was becauze if the coil..

Depression.

Mood swings

Heavy periods.

Tiredness.

Ive just fot anitger one fitted 4 days ago as its the only thing i can have due to breastfeeding and pill not agreeing with me. And ive been suffering from cramps and massive bloating ever since the fitting.

Im goping this dies down as i was perfectly fine with the last one until the depression 2 years after i had it fitted so hoping that doesnt come back.

• Posted

Hi Helen,

I had my coil removed in Nov 17 as I was suffering from extremely heavy and long periods (14 days start to finish) with it all to look forward too again 3 weeks later!

Not only was I suffering heavy bleeding but I also went like a mad women believing that my life was terrible, my relationship was s**t and I didn’t know how I was going to come out the other end! My partner suffered from my mood swings and it made us argue constantly. 

Too add to this I was tired and had no energy...

I decided to get my coil removed 6 months ago and it’s only now I truly believe that it was my copper IUD that made me feel this way. If you google copper effects on the brain etc you will get loads of information about why it makes you feel this way. 

Hope this helps x

• Posted

Hi 

I posted a while ago and although my wife and I are getting on better we still very rarely have sex and this is something that I have asked her about and she has confirmed she is still attracted to me and cant explain why she isnt in the mood very often. Just to put it in to perspective since Christmas we have probably had sex about 4-5 times.

I have brought up the subject of the coil being the potential cause of this but it got knocked down. How the hell do I approach her about it. We have 3 amazing kids and for me that is plenty but my wife isn't  100% sure yet that we have finished. I have already offered to have the snip but she doesn't want to rush into anything which I completely understand but at the same time I am seeing little point on being on the coil (as a form of contraception) if we are not having sex. 

I would rather not have sex and have her back to how she was before this bloody thing was put in. 

I just cant see how, having read all of these experiences, how it is not made more public about the side effects of the coil.

Her periods last a lot longer than they used to and also are heavier than they used to be. 

I have tried talking to her parents about it which didn't go down well as she said I didn't trust her and by talking to them about it I had removed the 2 people she can go to the most.

I am thinking about talking to my doctor to get his advice on the issue as it cannot keep going on like this.

For example, I took her to New York for her 30th birthday at the start of June. 3 nights away together in a romantic city with no children and when I tried to start things (so to speak) I was told we hadn't gone there for this. To say I was crush was an understatement.

HELP PLEASE!!!

• Posted

Omg I don't know why I didn't look for this earlier. Ive had my Parguard iud in for 2 1/2 years. I'm finally taking it out tomorrow. I had it put in after I had my son. I haven't been able to drop the weight after I had him even though I'm working out harder than I have in my whole life and the scale doesn't move. Almost a year ago my gp discovered I had an enlarged thryoid but all my blood work comes back normal. I've had increasing nodules at each appointment but they assure me they are stable. So I stared thinking what did I do differently after my pregnancy with my daughter. With her I went back on the pill and lost the weight no problem. So I'm going back to the pill to see if the hormones make me go back to my normal self and I can finally start losing weight. With the iud I've had heavy periods that last 7 days and then I spot for the next 7 days. After that I have excess secretions down there which make me feel like I wet myself at times. My husband has constantly pointed out that my stomach didn't look like this afterm my daughter. Im so forget full and have foggy brain all of the time and don't even get me started on the fatigue. I'm going to be so mad at myself if I've suffered for 2 1/2 years all because I thought it would be easier to not to have to remember a pill every night. Ill be so happy if everything changes back to normal after i get this thing out. Good luck everyone. Hoping we all get relief from this crap.

• Posted

Do u feel dizzy an fuzzy when you had your periods hun? An been like this a week now was fine before hand!! Xx
    • Posted

Now that I think about it, yes at times I did get like that but I never thought it was that. No change in being able to drop the weight but it's only been out almost 2 months. But it was nice to have a nice light period that lasted exactly 5 days. My husband was even shocked when I said it was done after 5 days. No horrible cramps or spotting after. It said it might be a few periods till I saw a light one, so glad that wasn't the case. Hopefully you feel better after you get yours out. Sucks that here we think we are doing something good for ourselves or something to make life easier and it screws us up more. sad

• Posted

Can I ask how you would of wanted your husband to approach the changes he had noticed as I really dont want to upset my wife but I can see there has been a noticeable change.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.