IUDs are so confusin! what do I do when I get different answers about my problem from docs & parents

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have had my IUD for over a year now and I get so nervous all the time. I have never gotten pregnant and nothing's been wrong with my IUD but I have my parents telling me I don't need to worry about it, my doc that inserted it tells me to check the strings every period... And then there the doctor I recently saw who said to never check the strings agin cause I was fine... But I have recently not felt fine... I have been tired and nauseous and fatigued all the time. My appetite and bounced all over the place and I have become so extremely emotional it's not even funny. During intercourse recently I noticed that I felt sore where the IUD meets the uterus so I checked the strings and they felt longer then normal and I had to push them back to the uterus alittle.. I am on my way to get a pregnancy test not but if it turns up negative.. What is my problem?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

How old are you, and why did you get an IUD on the first place? It can have lots of adverse effects on the body. Do you have a copper IUD or hormonal IUD?
    • Posted

I have Mirena IUD and I don't feel much other then my stings are super long and the cervix were sore...
    • Posted

The pregnancy test was negative so the symptoms are not from that... But like... I am scared it might be expelling. But I have felt extreme cramping like online reports say you will.. But the strings are so long...
  • Posted

Hi Serah,

How are you? Did you see a doctor for your symptoms? I would advise that you discuss alternative options for contraception with your doctor, because in many people IUD can have adverse effects, in some cases long-term damage and serious complications can occur too. There is not much written about this, as women who experience problems with these contraception devices often do not speak up and suffer silently.

Get well.  

• Posted

Yes I have talked to a doctor before and the last one told me to never worry about the IUD again and actually i could feel the Knott part of the IUD strings where it ties to the device. But then later I checked it again and they were gone. I've been reading reports and stuff I just hope it's not trying to expel on me... Thank you for the get well smile I speak up a lot and I do keep trying to see a doctor but my aunt says no all the time because she thinks I'm a hypochondriac...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.