ive been given orlistat by my doctor and im terrified!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am looking for advice my doctor has given me orlistat and im terrified by the side effects! i am a fussy eater, i know it sounds silly and childish but i have a fear of being sick i was assured that these tablets dont cause sickness tho and carnt swallow tablets but was told its ok to open the capsules an mix with fat free yogurt it just may take longer to work which is fine i just really need to lose weight i never struggled with my weight before i had my son whos 1 now, my weight has ruined what should be the best time in my life ive not got any pictures with my son or any photos for that matter,i get pains in my knees and back etc from my weight and hate going out as people assume im pregnant sad my son is missing out because of me please help with some advice .

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I've never felt sick, nor had the "side effects". If I have a meal which is a little near the top limit of 15g, I may be a bit "loose" when I go, or have a lot of wind but that's all.
  • Posted

You won't get the effects if you eat the right foods i have posted lots of helpful posts on what to eat if you search for them.They don't cause sickness at all.Keep the tablet whole put on a spoon and swallow with yogurt on top. People who assume your pregnant must be thick as you can tell a pregnant woman vs someone who is overweight! What's your starting weight? how much do you have to lose? get started on those tablets and don't look back i am so glad i didn't otherwise i would still be a size 24 and now i am half of that if you need any other help please post back x

• Posted

Thank you for the advise im 17 stone ive never been skinny but never felt the need to  i was a size 10/12 and happy i could eat what i wanted and never gain weight untill i had my son lol! im useless with planning my meals so i joined slimming world today so they can help me plan the correct meals what i should and shouldnt be eating like i said ive never had to diet so i am absolutly usless at this!
  • Posted

Hi Heather like you I would consider myself a fussy eatter. I hate pretty much all veg and most salad type food (my salads are just lettuce and cucumber!) What sort of food do you like? I've been on the tablets just under a week. and been eatting like ive been on them for a week and half. So far ive lost 5pound. Like others Ive not felt sick taking them ive had no side effects apart from tiredness but i have also been going to the gym aswell so that could help explain that. Ive found snacking on fruit has really helped the food cravings inbetween meals and drinking plenty of water. Im still learning and reading posts here has really heled. Good luck cheesygrin
    • Posted

ive always looked at salad with the "its rabbit food" notion i do love cucumbers tho! i do like fruit and like potatoes califlower and peas that the extent of my veg liking sad not good im just finding it hard also because i was told if i dont eat a meal dont take a tablet most days i dont eat breakfast or dinner so im only having 1 meal a day so that would mean im only taking 1 tablet a day so my negative thinking is that it wont work sad
    • Posted

Same here i still call salad rabbit food. You dont need to eat just salads thocheesygrin. Theres plenty of soups or sandwiches you can have for lunch and tonnes of stuff you can have for dinner. Skipping meals wont be helping (sorry to say it). Cuppa soups can also be used for inbetween meal snacks along with fruit. Rice/pasta potatoes along with veg that i like (peas/carrots/califlower) along with some lean or quorn for dinner. Even if you eat little bits through the day and onlt have one larger meal with the tablets in the evening it should help. When you skip meals your body goes into starvation mood and will try to store and retain as much fat as possible. Ive googgled low fat recipes and have just removed or replaced things that I dont like. Hope it helps
  • Posted

Hi Heather,  I have been on Oralist for just a week tomorrow (Tues) and I have never felt sick on them.  I'm still finding my way around re: eating whats right.  Tonight we are having a roast chicken I have put it on a rack in the roasting tray to drain away the fat, I will not be having any of the lovely crispy skin, but plenty of chicken, lots of carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, and I am going to have 2 roast potato's with skins on, for desert were having stawberries, raspberries with a small spoon of Quark naturally fat free lemon and if I feel peckinsh I shall tuck into some watermelon later.  There are loads of recipes online, but if you are doing Slimming world they are brilliant and you will get lots of inspirational recipes there and online, its a new way of life and like everything it takes time, all the best on your new journey smile
  • Posted

Hi Heather, after giving birth it's happening often that the muscles on the stomach divide themselves, it's called DIASTASE. Fat inside the body gets out and gives you a look like you're still pregnant. Talk to your doctor about it. I gave birth to a daughter 28 years ago and nobody ever told me that I might have diastase. I just found out this yesterday, asked a new doctor, and she said it is an expensive plastic operation, but now I saw on some forums here in Sweden that many women have pains and difficulties in losing weight because of this diastase. So it may be an operation that won't cost that much, it's not the looks, it's the ache i my back and difficulties to carry around about 10 kg extra weight. I'm trying to get an operation done soom, I hope the best for you too, Regards Gina

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.