Ive been on methotrexate for 1 yr now . Having bad flare.sore and weak muscles.now on prednisone. how long to kick in?

Posted , 3 users are following.

this flare the worst. exhausted and painful. sore neck, shoulders, arms and legs. photosensitive rash on knuckles. burning upper eyelids red with swelling at brows. dr awaiting test results. thought id be feeling better- 4 days now on prednisone. Diagnosed with spondyloarthropathy 2 years ago.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My doc put me on Prednisone about 7 years ago and it worked well for me. He did say it was a short term solution but we could return to it later if needed. Shortly after I moved to Spain and the warmer weather helped a lot.Took a turn for the worse last year but my Spanish doctor does not like steroids so tried all sorts of things but side effects were bad.Now using dl-Phenalanine which seems to work for me.

Have patience with the predisonone, sure it will kick in soon. Good luck.

• Posted

Thankyou Trevor - Im hoping it does help soon.  Rheumo is wondering if it could be a condition causing muscle inflammation this time.  Im crossing fingers its not because having spondy is enough for me.  I live in Queensland Australia so get good hot weather so im lucky there.
  • Posted

Hi Denise;

I've posted some comments on Methotrexate and cortisone in another discussion:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/where-do-i-start--124166?page=0#356010 ;

Spondyloarthropathy is the name for a family of inflammatory rheumatic diseases that cause arthritis. The most common is ankylosing spondylitis, do you know if you have AS? Here's another link to the diagnosis of AS:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/need-advice-on-what-to-do-about-referral-216212?page=0#368806

Hope you are able to find the right treatment that works for you...

All the best.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice and the links.  Rheumy diagnosed me 2 years ago with a form of spondyloarthropathy - not wanting to be definite AS as mri didnt show much.  Had bad enthesitis in feet and painful knees, si joints, thoracic and cervical spine.  Im 56 , so its a bit outside the normal age range etc for definite as diagnosis.  Mainly a wait and see - at least the methotrexate has helped my peripheral joints a lot with the only side effect being a very sore tongue for three weeks - so glad I can at least walk better now.  Hes wondering if I am having an inflammatory muscles condition at the moment - hope not.  The pain and exhaustion is certainly difficult and I hate it when Im so unwell I cant go into work - lucky to have an understanding boss.  /will report in to dr this friday and see what happens next.  Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.