Ive been on roaccutane for 2 months im debating coming off it should I?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all..

Ive been on Roacctane for 2 months now im on 70mg a day and im debating coming off it as im coping with the very dry nose (bogeys) the flakey skin but what im not coping is dry eyes and what llook to be colesores but arnt (i look like a vampire at the moment) im using mositriser 5/6 times a day and balm on my lips constantly im kind of getting a bit down about it.

Is anyone else having these symptoms too?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello! I really think you should see it through, I assume you have been given the basic 4 months so you are already half way through so don't quit now. They should have given you a list of side effects, but if they havent already - Google them, you will see that your side effects are the most common and they also what I had too, mine also included a lot of nose bleeds and dry hair/scalp. I found that boots own brand of 'itchy eye drops' sorted it out twice a day. Also put vaseline up your nose before you sleep, it will be better when you wake up. It is a very hard drug to get on with but it will be worth it in end, I have been off it now for a year and I get about 2 spots a month. Hope this helps smile
  • Posted

Hi there, I agree with gabriellewilliams, perservere!! My symptoms were mild compared to yours, but still, taking roaccutane has been one of the most positive things I have ever done. Vaseline is a life saver, put it up your nose as suggested, and apply to your lips every couple of hours. Maybe even put it on your skin overnight as an intensive moisturiser? I honestly didn't think my skin could ever change, and am elated by the results. The dryness of my skin cleared up really quickly after finishing the course. If you have been living with acne for years, I'm sure you can put up with another couple of months of discomfort in return for a gleaming new face! It's worth it! 
  • Posted

Thankyou both very much im going to stick it out and speak to my derm at this weeks appt im sure I can perserver that much longer smile
  • Posted

Hi, I have just started my course and I'm about 6 days in. I have found my skin has got SO oily and I have more spots because of it...is that normal? I thought it was maybe just everything coming out to clear it? Not a great start feeling though! I also have a little split at side of my lips which of course I can't stop licking! Can I ask if any of you drank whilst on roacutane and did it effect you? 

Thanks guys smile

Steph 

• Posted

Hello! Yes your skin can get worse before it starts to get better so yes that is normal. I think mine went a bit bad at first but it only lasted about 2 weeks then it settled so don't worry about that. Trust me, after 2 months of taking it when you starts getting dry skin you will beg for some oilyness to enjoy it while it lasts! and the correct answer is no you should no drink, however... I did. Only on two occasions and this included vodka etc. now I don't want to sit here and tell you that this is okay because I was okay as everyone's bodies are different and we all handle other stuff in different volumes, what didn't effect me could may well effect someone else. This is why all of our side effects vary. Avoid drinking if you can, and I won't say "yes do it" all I will say is that I did and it never effected me at all. smile smile
    • Posted

Hi Steph

Your skin will get worse before it gets better and some days it will be really dry bare with it as I'm now 10 weeks in and the symptoms are there but no where near as bad as week 3-7 

It affects ppl in diff ways but what has helped are these forums also the fact my face looks better...what I've also noticed and I'm not sure if anyone else has the rest of my body actually feels smooth and my hair is not greasy after 24hrs if washing it 😀

• Posted

Oh phew ok thanks, hopefully it starts getting better soon! It's demoralising when it gets worse! I went out last night for my friends birthday and I drank (carefully) just to see if it would effect me badly or not and I was fine, I actually found I couldn't really get drunk, but maybe that was because I was watching what I drank as opposed to going wild! Haha the only thing is I feel a bit more sick today than I normally would! Will definitely make it a rare occasion though as the doc said it makes ur liver work twice as hard and reduces the effect of the pill...so only shooting myself in the foot! 

The other question I had was about pregnancy, I have been told you are fine to try for a baby 1 month after coming off, but I've also read on here some people saying it can stay in your system for 1 year after and it's not safe to try...do you know anymore about that? I am getting married next September and we are hoping to try for a baby straight after, i am hoping I'm not on this drug for more than 4 months so definitely hoping it's not in my system for a year!! 

Oh and also, did anyone find that they were sweating more easily?? Oh the joys of this drug! It better work!!! 

• Posted

That's the other thing I've noticed, I can't get more than a day out of my hair because it's greasier, everything is just so oily just now! I just feel like I want to shower all the time! sad
    • Posted

Hi Steph 

I got drunk the week on the pills wish I hadn't I felt worse than normal so won't be in a rush to do it again lol

As for a baby huni me personally would wait till it's out if your system before trying for a baby..pills in general take days/weeks to get in your system to work so surely it will take just as long to get out??? Better to be safe x

• Posted

Your hair will get better trust me!!  I ust to be only able to get 1 day out of my hair now I get 3 and feels so much better too x
  • Posted

Hi tree82, my hair used to get soooo greasy, couldn't go a day without washing it, this is because we produce too much sebum so all the junk making us spotty was also making our hair greasy. Roaccutane changed my hair so much, whilst I was on it I couldn't believe how many days went past after washing with me feeling I had freshly washed hair and soft and shiny too! Also the skin on my body became silky smooth. Whilst I have to say this hasn't lasted, I am now 6 or 7 months off roaccutane and my skin doesn't have that smooth  quality but it is finally normal and pretty much blemish-free! Also although my hair isn't quite as sparkly as when I was on roaccutane, I now only have to wash my hair once a week which is incredible considering how oily my scalp used to get. 

Steph, it's not a very friendly drug, making you greasy then all of a sudden really dry, but for me putting up with all the bad points was definitely worth it. I saw it as me finally dealing with this issue that has been bothering me for over 10 years and a little discomfort is doable in exchange for the increase in self esteem I have found over the last 6 months. Try to keep the dryness under control from the beginning, anticipate it and you hopefully won't suffer as much. I got scabs in my nose when I was on roaccutane and it took so long to heal, keep your vaseline at hand at all times!!!

• Posted

Hi stray sheep 

Everything you have said is spot on...what id also wished I'd done was this years ago I'm 32 and was always thinking it will get better when I get older...well it didn't and I had to try something those first few weeks I really was debating giving up though due to the side affects but now I'm ust to them I wouldn't change as my skin is loads better it isn't perfect but IS loads better x

• Posted

Thanks guys this has all been really helpful and encouraging and made me feel better about everything and less worried! Will keep you all in the loop with my progress and hope you guys will too (those of you who are still on it?) smile away to the shops to buy jumbo packs of Vaseline!! :D 

Steph xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.