Ive been prescribed amitriptyline for suspected nerve pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi, I'm new to the forum. I have earache which has been put down to a jaw problem and I'm experiencing ringing in that ear, which is giving me panic attacks at night. Ive been prescribed 10mg but scared to take it as one of the possible side effects is ringing in ears! Does anyone have any thoughts on this? 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I do not have ringing in ears from this.  But I was first put on it to help with sleep and pain/stiffness all over.  I am surprised that is prescribed for pain...because I have felt no better in that way.  It has helped me sleep I guess.  Although lately I seem to be having trouble with that.  I have been on it a long time.
    • Posted

I always took 25 mg. Then a few years ago my Pcp upped it to 50. Now that I'm reading all this I wish he wouldn't have. Because I feel no better from increasing it. So I have taken it down to 35 mg now. I take a 25 and a 10. I am surprised by all these complaints about it. I have taken it so long (and take other meds as well) that I wouldn't be able to tell what is from what.

• Posted

Hello Michelle, I only realised myself the effects of AMITRYPTALINE when my friend informed me about them & other people did as well.

I had heard so many stories over the years, AMITRPTALINE is quite an old drug nowadays & GP,S love to precrribe it.

It does do alot of good where it will & can make you well again, it is just that through the process of illimination that I found out exactly what was causing all my symptoms with my body( NOT NICE) but please do yourself a favour & speak to your GP or somebody else professionally before taking yourself off AMITRYP , do not punish yourself over this, but, speak about this first to your GP. imyself was on alot of medication as well, which did not help me, but, I tried it all & found out what was best for me.

Kindest Regards Jackie

• Posted

My left ear rings a little but am able to get to sleep. I only take it at night so it really doesn't bother me.weight gain can be one as well. Although haven't been at work/working since June 11th. Beginning a new job soon.

• Posted

Hello, do not be afraid of using AMITRYPTALINE  for your illness. It will get you well but, you must give it at least three weeks before the Tablets start working.

The ringing in the ears is a side effect of the pills , do not worry as this will go.

The panic attacks will also go as well.

Try to  breathe your panic attacks away, breathe in three, hold it for two,  then breathing out on three slowly, this will assist you.

Take care Please try not to rush.

Jackie

• Posted

Hello & yes AMITRP does have loads of side effects, do not be scared of taking them  they are very good drugs but,,,, they are also very addictive.

Jackie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.