Ive been taking Amlodipine for past two years. Having numerous health issues.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Starting to get concerned that it could be Amlodipine ???

Eg: Blood vessels in my neck, head throbbing also feel like being twisted. Arm numbness and pins and needles right side. Palpitations. Sleepless nights, ankle swelling and severe joint pain other issues too. My list is now getting endless. Feel like I'm going mad too like I could rip someone's head off. To be honest feel a wreck . I'm wondering now after I've come across this forum if it is side effects from Amplodipine. Been wondering if all this joint pain is arthritis like my Dr said. Or maybe the meds. My biggest concern is that I constantly feel so bad tempered and very depressed too. Has anyone else experienced the bad mood swings ??????

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi caz 333

Im now off amoldopine as it was giving me really bad side effects..i also had terrible problems with my legs..pain and feeling like i wasnt connected to them..i also put it down to my mild atrhritis in my knee until i came on this forum and did some research into the drug..i spoke to my doctor he said it can cause these side effects ..changed it to another drug and within a week i was running with the dog..easily going up n down stairs and my legs felt strong and mine!! No pain and no muscle ache!!! Defas speak to doc and get off it !!!

• Posted

Good day

Help advise; with which medication did you replace Amlodipine?

Regards

• Posted

Definite possibility that your symptoms could be side effects of amlodipine. I would suggest speaking to your Doctor to replace it. In the case that your Doctor might still not be prepared to relate your problems to amlodipine, I would still say to him/her that you want to stop this drug to see if your symptoms dissipate.

I wish you well.

• Edited

Dear Can, I can't tell you the trouble I have had also the same things and my stupid doctor says the numbness and tingling in my hands is probably from your neck let's get an x-ray and then we'll see if it's carpal tunnel syndrome . It is either neither of those she increased my amlodipine and now both of my hands are getting tingly and numb everything aches stiff necks feel like I'm sick all the time. I'm so sick of these doctors acting like they know everything I can't go to sleep without my hands getting numb I wake up there now my can't right there numb tingly my back aches all the time my knees are sore it is the worst blood pressure medicine I have ever taken I had insomnia for a few nights and they said oh it's because you're depressed I said well I'm depressed because I can't sleep because of this amlodipine anyway I can relate believe me I'd love to get off this medicine

• Edited

Hi Chris

Don't be frightened by the threat of being told what could happen if your bp is high. This drug, most of the time, gives you all those awful side effects and doesn't even lower the bp half the time. Take responsibility for your health and well being and tell your Gp to take you off of them. Read these other replys to see how much better they are feeling having come off this drug even 1 week later.

I wish you courage.

• Edited

Take control and demand to come off this awful drug! I totally support what you are saying and so do many affected people on this site (and other websites). If your doctor will not listen just do not leave the clinic without being given a different drug. My doctor initially doubled the dose as it was not lowering my BP anyway and ignored my dreadful symptoms and I could not walk the next day! I went back and tried another but that was no better. You will hopefully find something more suitable. Best of Luck - and be strong and determined!
    • Posted

Dear Meles

My doctor increase the dose of amlodipine I take a 5mg and a 2mg I stopped taking the two empty because both of my hands get so numb and tingly I can't do anything and it really doesn't lower the blood pressure that much I agree with you I'm a little scared to go off of it cold turkey. I take Carvedilol HTC Z

• Edited

Definitely sounds like Amlodopine to me. This drug crippled me and some of my friends. One of them was also told by their doctor that it was arthritis. You may have arthritis too but it is the drug that is causing the heart palpitations, the pins and needles, sleepless nights (I also had drug-induced nightmares), and depression. I also got muggy head,, a shoulder bursa, tendinitis - ended up I could hardly walk.In the end, I found out that it had not lowered my blood pressure either. This is a very bad drug for many people and it is not being recognised by the GPs. Look at alternatives (half a freshly squeezed lemon juice in hot water first thing in the morning, beet juice, magnesium, potassium, lose weight, change your life style, exercise is key; and buy a BP monitoring system to check your own BP. Check out the other websites to see the damage being done by this drug, then check out how to lower your own BP. I came off Amlodopine a few months ago and have never felt better.

• Posted

yes I had similar problems which built up gradually over the period I was taking amlodipine. There are so many side effects to this drug. I would ask your Doctor to take you off Amlodipine to see if it is causing your problems, when I came off it I noticed a difference within days. I have been off it for several months now and feel almost normal. sadly I believe my eyesight and hearing have been affected by this dreadful drug though I doubt I could ever prove it. Hopefully Your doc will respect your request and that you will start to feel better

• Posted

Hi john

Ive now been taken off the drug and thank goodness i seem to be back to normal..! Within a week of me telling my doc and he agreed the side effects could be horrible i m taking another drug less side effects and i feel 100% better !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.