Ive been told I have to have injections, What will be the outcome

Posted , 6 users are following.

My MRI Results, L3/4 there is a right paracentral disc protrusion with substancial caudally migrated disc extrusion effecting the right lateral recess fat where it impinges on the traversing right L4 nerve root. L4/5 there is a broad posterior protrusion which causes mild narrowing of the exit foramina. L5/S1 there is a broad posteria protrusion which indents the thecal and causes mild narrowing of the exit formina bilaterally although no impingment of the exiting L5 nerve root is demonstrated. Conclusion L3/4 discextrusion causing right lateral recess stenosis where it on the right L4 nerve root. The sergeon said that he was going to get me in within a couple of weekes, and put me under because of the amount of injections he is going to give me, I am worried, I dont speak Doctor, I dont know weather this will work, or for how long, I need to get back to work, but can i, as it involves lots of lifting crawling about and stretching, Ive only been in this condition for 4 months, I know it's probably not that long in the grand sceem of things, but the pain is getting me and my family down. and I would just like to know if there is any light at the end of the tunnel.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Is the surgeon giving you cortisone injections? They should help a lot.
    • Posted

It was all a bit much with what he was saying, I know he mentioned epidural, But it all got a bit technical, and when he said I would have to go in as a day patient because they would have to put me under, for the ammount of needles he would be giving me, it just put fear into me, and I cant remember the rest. I know there are alot of people out there worse of than me, I am just getting in a bit of a tiz, as I just don't understand whats going on, or what will happen long term.
    • Posted

It sounds like he wants to do a combined epidural and general anaesthetic. Did he tell you how you would be after? Can you drive home for example. I would not worry too much if it is day surgery.
    • Posted

No I got no indication of what will happen after, My wife is comming with me, to do the driving, with the drugs I am taking now, Ive been advised not to drive. Thanks for the reasureance.
  • Posted

Did he mention general anaesthetic or sedation.  I had two rounds of multiple injections under sedation.  Less risky than a GA - I don't remember much about the procedure.  Then they just made me lie flat for an hour or so after the procedure and was discharged.  I took it easy for a couple of days.  Very minor soreness.  But I found the whole thing preferable to going to the dentist for a filling!  In my case unfortunately they didn't work and went on to have a microdiscectomy but I know lots of people for whom the injections have worked.
    • Posted

General Anaesthetic, I know it's only been 4 months since my accident but i'm just wanting the pain to go. If it dos'nt work, I don't know what they are going to do, He said he could'nt fuse the 3 discs. Probabley worried about nothing, just want to get back to normal. Wish I could speak Doctor, might understand a bit more, Thanks for your input, it dose help to talk.
  • Posted

Hi whe you do have the injections. Please post the sucess rate.How did you persuade the surgeon to tak action?Im still dealing with a Physio who thinks exercise is the answer for a lower disc that is in contace with the neve.And a disc prolapse.He has the oh ist not so bad attitude.Wel it is and i spend allday watching television as anything hurts.Assuming tha your UK based how do you get past an incompetebnt arrogant very young Physio.This is a rtesult of old age and a fall down my stairs last new years eve.It has taken this long to have an MRI  done.Hve nothin for the pain at all.I cant sleep and im still dealing with a Physio that i feel talks nonsense.So when you have the injections please [post the sucess rate.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with arrogant physio's. It make my blood boil, when some one who is not in pain, can say its not to bad, of corse it is bad or we wouldnt be there, I got refered to New Hall Hospital in Sailsbury by the orthopediac team, at my local hospital. It took 3 collapsing's, and being taken to the hospital before they would consider an MRI, I think if you are in pain you should be seen, diagnosed and treated properly as soon as possible, Still sorry for ranting on, I will get in contact when I have had the procedure, Fingers crossed it works.
    • Posted

I feel for you, I was involved in an RTA 2 1/2 years ago nearly, even when taken to hospital I wasn't scanned, sent home with no pain killers on a Sunday morning and told to see my GP!

a year after the accident they did the first scan, (now taking morphine daily for the pain) the scan operator said I had multiple disc issues. The consultant said nothing wrong! So 6 months later and a second scan, surprise surprise, one disc prolapsed with left root nerve impingement and the one above it about to go!

they are trying to force me to have the injection, but my GP is standing firm with me in that at 2 years, nothing is going to move the disc except surgery. I beg them to do it but nothing, 

now on waiting to see someone at the Walton centre in Liverpool!

• Posted

Oh my god, I don't know what is going on with the NHS, This is a service we pay for all our lives, I hope they get you sorted soon, Morphine is good, but i think the body gets used to it, After being on them for 4 months, some days I can still be a 9 out of 10 for pain. I would like an opp, and I hope you get one, I just think that everything else just mask's the pain, but that's just my oppinion. Good luck
    • Posted

There is an article in the papers today about a spinal implant that is being tried out which will stop the need for pain killing drugs. I think they have only done one so far and are then doing thirty more. It will cost fifteen thousand pounds sterling. I think it may have been developed in Australia.
    • Posted

Thank you, that sounds very interesting, but probably a long way from helping NHS patiants. Will have to google that, Thank you
  • Posted

Is that a spinal chord stimulation in the article?  I believe this is a last resort if all else fails.    It is available on the NHD - Guys & St Thomas have a pain clinic for instance.  Seems they do at the Walton Centre too 

I was under the care of a pain consultant who did the injections and when they didn't work he told me there was the neuromodulation option - but not something you do before they try everything else first......He referred me back to the neurosurgeon who performed the microdiscectomy.  Problem solved.

• Posted

I'm praying for the injections to work, but not had much luck latley, so not going to hold my breath, I have no other options at the momment. 
  • Posted

The really bad part is that Gps are not really interested.I cant spaek for other parts of the UK but in London you get 3.5 minutes for a vsit.No exceptions.That is not enough time to say anything at all.If you ask for anything for pain .Its no take an Ibupofen as requests repesent drug seeking behaviour.Not likely at my age im 61 years of age.iN 2010 i was on chemo fior a year.All day every day.3 trips to emergency as mt Gp was proscribing the wrong thing to take theedge of the chemo.My nurse booked me into a heart dOctor and he instantly said stop taing that it is clashin g and you wil die.I stopped and wa opk still ill from the  chemops but i changed Gps on advice.The really sad aprt was they declared me fit for work.To qulify for free NHS you have to be on benefits.So i payed for my own treatment.Thats the law.It cleaned out mt life savings over the course of a year.

All i know is i am in severe pain i cant get any relief.My Physio is just palin awkward anfd if the next appointmeny with him is unfavourable i will request someone else a sexercise is beyond reasonable pain.He counteres every queery 

Waht if the exercise does not work.Well we will deal with that then and the next stage but does not tell you what the next stae involves.im so desparate on the pain front that i may have to go private just to get something for the pain.

My conclusion is that the Mediacl proffession ,there egos far outwigh there capabilitys.I was a carpenter all my working life.If you did not do your job you were shown the door.Sorry about the rant but i have lost all faith in them.I hope that your situation improves.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi, I am so sad for you, that is discusting, I am only 46, but i really appreciate people that have worked all ther lives, to make life a little better for all of us, and all you ask in return, that is rightfully yours anyway, is to be treated fair and treated right. Why cant the little man, the back bone of this country, get what is rightfully there's. You are right to have a rant, And I do really hope you get the right treatment soon, and they can give you the RIGHT reliefe for your pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.